How is TT going to do versions?

The reason I'm asking is because we're at 7.9.2 right now and 7 is pretty close to 1.0, which seems like it might be a problem. What if a bunch of significant (but not significant enough) updates are released until it gets to 9.9.9 and then you have to make the monstrosity that is 0.10.0? Minecraft did it and a few other games probably did too.

So are we that close to 1.0 that it could be released in a few years, are we getting less but more action packed updates, or will 0.10.0 come after 9.9.9?

Side note: this is probably to vauge and strange for Open but Community Help didn't seem right either.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
May 31, 2017
Australia
I'll explain what I think using this: [x.y.z.w]
x is full release; y is major updates, such as new mechanics or corporations; z is stable minor updates; w is unstable minor updates.
The update versions don't need to be using decimal (base 10); they are just rough indicators.

{insert_name_here}

[REDACTED]
Mar 15, 2017
nowhere
I'll explain what I think using this: [x.y.z.w]
x is full release; y is major updates, such as new mechanics or corporations; z is stable minor updates; w is unstable minor updates.
The update versions don't need to be using decimal (base 10); they are just rough indicators.
The next stable update is probably going to be 0.8 anyways, since it involves loads of new blocks and multiplayer integration.

Reactions: Lord Zarnox

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
So are we that close to 1.0 that it could be released in a few years
I'd be willing to bet on full release this year.:eek: So quite possibly before 0.9, even.o_O

I feel like the devs are really making a push to try and wrap things up, now. TerraTech's already had a pretty long Early Access period and 1.0 release will help give more momentum to continue development. The QA department's tripled in size in recent months, I think with a view to better testing MP builds internally, but also polishing up in general, after that.

But keep in mind that MP is still very early in development.
I don't think it is. The coding devs have done all the heavy lifting here already, over the last year, getting the back-end net code in place. With this invisible infrastructure now integrated into the main build.

Death-match is fully playable, team DM is basically the same, from a technical standpoint, and co-op creative just needs a few major bugs working on. Even a completely new racing mode would be fairly straight forwards to implement, by coomparison, requiring more game design and art involvement and less coding support. So long standing bugs might finally be tackled in parrallel.

All just speculation on my part, of course.:)

Potato

Tinkerer of Titäns
Oct 8, 2016
I'm siding with @ZeroGravitas here - based on what they've said over their live streams, they're wrapping it up. Financially, Project and Business speaking, they're an indie studio that hasn't released a full game yet, and that's bad for business.

Capital dries up, and the longer they make this game, the harder it becomes to finish it. This is where the term "Scope Creep" and "Feature Creep" comes in, where they keep adding, refining and perfecting everything in a game, then end up not finishing it because those additions aren't in the original idea of the game.

The sooner they can release Terratech 1.0, the better funded they'll be, since Steam will be promoting this game as a full game, not to mention GOG and Humble Bundle. THEN, they add more stuff.