Hidden commands, tips & tricks

Discussion in 'Community Help, Questions and Guides' started by layer1, Jul 5, 2018.

1. layer1

layer1 Well-Known Member

A couple of people have mentioned middle-clicking enemies to target them in the past couple of days. (Thanks @QuackDuck and whoever else mentioned that. It's super useful.)

Over time I realized you could right-click a block in build mode and focus the camera on the block you clicked, which made building in tight spots much, much easier.

Control binding is also funky: I can't bind I, L, R or P to movement keys. As a left-handed person who likes IJKL for movement, that forced me to use numpad which has its own set of issues.

P is bound to pause and I can't change it (or change the 'Pick up' and 'Turn camera' key)

I, L and R do... what, exactly? Why can't they be used?

What else don't I know about?

Lord Zarnox and ZeroGravitas like this.
  2. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

F & G rotates blocks forwards and backwards, in case you didn't know.

Lord Zarnox, ARES IV and layer1 like this.
  3. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

[Alt] - hold to temporarily cancel blocks placement.
    [Alt] - double tap to deselect currently selected inventory block.
    [Ctrl] to select multiple (corp) tabs in inventory.
    [LMB] double click to switch to that tech.
    [T]+[LMB] set tech as enemy/friend in R&D. (Or is it RMB?)
    [Space] to fire weapons.:p;)

4. layer1

layer1 Well-Known Member

That's in the Controls menu so at least there's discovery. It can be rebound which is useful (to me).

Nice. Alt + double-click (edit: Alt+Alt) will be really handy.

It's T + LMB in R&D

edit: vvv gotcha vvv

5. ZeroGravitas

It's double tap of [Alt] key (unless you were talking about 2 different functions there).

layer1 likes this.
  6. layer1

layer1 Well-Known Member

I guess maybe this counts:

Sane horizontal block rotation (useful with fab stuff):
    • Select a block and drag it over any part of your tech (don't place the block).
    • Drag the block over the ground to see its true rotation, then rotate it to the orientation you want
    • Now place the block on your tech

Also releasing a block in the air and picking it up again resets the orientation.

There's a bunch of minutia around placing blocks but it's also wildly inconsistent at times.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  7. ZeroGravitas

I've seen people trying and failing to do that for literally minutes at a time (with Component Factories) - it doesn't seem to work (mostly?). Rotation is dependant upon which attach point you're using and generally looks completely different to the blocks position in free space. Or maybe you can make a demo vid...?

8. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

You can also use it to select multiple block categories. It also acts as a toggle, so you can click a selected tab to deselect it.

9. layer1

layer1 Well-Known Member

Stop guys I can't handle any more. :D

Maybe? I'm not fluent in Premier Pro but I could give it a try. There's some repeatable things to it but there are a lot of variables for different attach points: Are there underneath attach points and how many, and where (seriously, have you looked under a CF?) or is it just a side attach? Do the inputs face the attach point or the side or back? Is the attach point 3 blocks wide? Less? More? Has the block been rotated and placed and you grab and move it, or did you drop/catch (or place on the ground, release and pick up) to reset the rotation?

And that's just the CF. Basic blocks are different, fabs are different, 2x1 armor blocks are different, corner blocks etc.. It would take a series.

[edit] There's a sprinkle of magic and moon cheese in all of this, too. And maybe some gremlins.

10. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

Component factories (and scrappers recently too), place them in the world then pick them up again and rotate in the air then place. Some blocks are more annoying still the HE regen has three placement modes (ignoring cosmetic rotations) initially places vertically, then rotates to horizontal (left-right), rotates back to vertical before rotating to horizontal (front-back). If you reverse the rotation it still follows this, meaning that front-back placement (arguably the one I use most) is always the last to get to.

11. Lost Ninja

Actually the vast majority of blocks do rotate and place with some logic but the more APs a block has the more permutations that block has to rotate into to satisfy the placer.

For instance: (assuming a single connection with space for all rotations)
    • Silos placed against a single AP (eg a filter) will move along their long axis but when placed against two APs will rotate (which is generally not what you want).
    • Long blocks (longer than wide), especially GSO blocks (1x1x4 & 1x1x5) when placed against a single AP will place end to end if in the same direction but when placed at right angles generally will place of centre rotating left (F) will move it to the side until one from the end then rotate vertically.
    • Most crafting blocks were supposed to only rotate around the vertical axis so you couldn't make interesting highly compressed factories anymore (that the reason the devs gave for the change), the component factory never obeyed this rule (that I can remember) and recently scrappers seem to have reverted to the old (normal) rotation mechanic. (See my previous post.)
    • Most blocks will when rotated while holding them in the air ignore cosmetic rotations. But not all: Most HE blocks don't, many blocks with less than a full complement of APs don't (Ven Shields/Regen/Gyro especially).
    • Most two sided with those sides at a right angle (corner or angled blocks) will when placed correctly automatically rotate to connect the APs that correspond to their right angled APs (some other block exhibit this behaviour too (Ven Shield/Gyro).
    Sometimes especially if I'm placing a lot of an item I'll place blocks around where I want to place the thing I want to place to force it into the correct (or to limit the number of incorrect) positions, especially good for vertical silos and the large GC Tractor pad. Another method I'm using more and more is to layout the floor plan/overall design with large blocks the rotate easily than gradually replace these with those that are more finicky (eg making ramps with the EXP Ramps, place a stairway of GC blocks then place the ramps onto them, (as above) then remove the supporting GC blocks.

Sometimes I think that such oddities must be specially scripted into each block and other times I think it must be decided by what APs exist and where you're placing it.... sometimes I think it is effected by the days of the week moon phase and whether or not it's raining.

12. layer1

layer1 Well-Known Member

It's never going to be coherent until things like this are fixed:

default_rotation.png

Default rotations - Why do GSO and GC (and Hawkeye) refineries not default their inputs to NE like everything else? Really basic stuff like that should be standard across all blocks.

With attach points I wonder if something is leaking from a previous setting, like this GSO booster, which I think shows up after Craftier Business III. Apologies for the music in the vid - hope YT doesn't yank the vid.

Lord Zarnox and Benbacon like this.
  13. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

Found an unlisted keybind that will anchor your tech: ALT + F4

14. layer1

layer1 Well-Known Member

Haha. Too bad Microsoft did away with deltree since it made the entire PC run faster.

15. ZeroGravitas

I've reported that bug here. And I've seen nothing to think that that cross-bug block status memory glitch is going on with placement orientations...

Were you careful to avoid placing the anchored blocks while (or after) holding them close to your tech, or another tech (or anchored block)? Because blocks are automatically aligned to face forwards relative to nearby techs. (It also causes a weird block flinging bug if you release a held block from near your tech, if you are tipped 90 degrees backwards.)

Lord Zarnox and layer1 like this.
  16. layer1

layer1 Well-Known Member

I made sure they were at the defaults. If you snap it to a tech you can just drop/grab again to reset the rotation.

The attach point thing.. maybe, maybe not. Some blocks have some weird snapping when placed facing north or south but behave differently with E/W facing, and also do different things whether or not the block has been rotated from its default position (refineries again.) What makes me think memory is how hard it is to reproduce the same results, but that's not proof.

If I ever make sense of it all it's getting documented.

ZeroGravitas and Lord Zarnox like this.
  17. Lost Ninja

If you get it worked out definitively you're a better person than me, I've been trying to work it out since 2015 and still find weird contradictions in things that I though worked in one way but don't.

Lord Zarnox and ZeroGravitas like this.
  18. layer1

layer1 Well-Known Member

Here's an example of this using a filter in a 1x1 spot. My Premiere Pro skills are lacking so I'll have to explain it itt instead of in the video.

The default rotation faces the filter north (the camera is facing south) but I want it to point east, pulling from the conveyor and into the silo.

However, when I go to place it something in the block placement intelligence rotates it 90 degrees, either because I'm going against the default facing (facing E instead of N) or it just wants to use the extra attach point on the GSO one block. It would still work for a filter but not for other things, and the aesthetics are lacking.

Dragging the block off the tech, rotating it and placing it on the tech fixes this. It works well with CFs and I've never had trouble placing anything using this method.

Lord Zarnox likes this.