Help Us Optimise TerraTech

BoomBoomMcNasty

Mar 28, 2016
Love this game, however after about 2 hrs it is unplayable @1 fps. I log out and restart the game from the save and still sitting at 1fps. If I start a new game I have zero issues at max settings,untill the 1-2 hr mark.

Processor:
Intel (R) Core(TM) i7 930 @ 2.8GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 10GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Graphics Options
Resoultion: 1920x1080
Quality: Fastest
Depth of Field: Off
High Dynamic Range: Off
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Full Screen: On
Anti-aliasing: Off
Gamma: 10%
Draw Distance: 50%

refinedskillz

Oct 13, 2014
FPS drops when:
Multiple megaton cannon shots hit the ground. (Once got attacked by a tech with 8 megaton cannons and game crashed. :3)
Night time.
Many techs moving at the same time.
Many guns firing at the same time.

Processor: AMD 8 core FX-8350 Black Edition 4.5 GHZ
Installed Memory (RAM):16GB HyperX Fury 1666mhz
System type:
64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Graphics Card: MSI GAMING AMD RADEON R9 380
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO
Mainboard: MSI 970 GAMING
Cooling: C00ler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 650GS

Graphics Options
Resoultion:
1920x1080
Quality: Beautiful
High Dynamic Range: On
Ambient Occlusion: On
Anti-aliasing: On
Draw Distance: 100%

I also have a second monitor hooked up, which also slightly affects game performance.

Average FPS is 30, but at times when im in the desert, it jumps to about 50.

It would be nice to have some more detailed graphics options, like texture quality etc.

Last edited:

FilipG

Feb 9, 2015
C - Poor frame rate is an issue that occurs when there is too many lights on large tech.

Processor:
AMD FX 6300
Installed Memory (RAM): 12GB

Graphics Options
Quality: Fantastic

MindParadox

Apr 7, 2016
Processor:Intel i7 3820 3.6Ghz
Installed Memory (RAM): 12GB RAM
System type: 64-bit Operating system, x64- based processor
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 660 TI 2GB

Graphics Options
Resolution: 2048x1152
Full Screen: on

C: Sometimes when I get invaded, usually only with the larger techs, the game simply stops for 1-5 seconds. then it starts up again. However, the game has continued to run even while the graphics are halted, sometimes resulting in a dead enemy i never see as anything other than bricks on the ground

Talidus

Jul 10, 2016
I get the same frame rate no matter what settings I put it on. I get 3FPS in game right now on max settings or the absolute lowest on 640 and can alt-tab and everything else works completely normal. Seems your work needs to be around how the game processes too many big techs rendering in LOD at once. Big techs with lots of blocks and lots of techs spawning at once seems to cause more of the issue. More specific around the big 4-5 tech spawns. I am playing 2 accounts and the lag isn't as bad on the other one at the same endgame stage. Let me know if you want more. I played to play the game not fix it.

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
A cab, stranded in deep space
My theory is that PhysX and Multi-Thread is not being optimised very well. In Kerbal space program, which uses unity 5 just like TT, I can have 800 parts at 30 fps on my system using my GPUs. KSP uses a much more complex physics engine than TT because of air forces, gravity, thrust, fuel, pressure, air density, parts in relation to one another, strength, damage and so on.

TT gets lag spikes once every 20 seconds or so, with spikes lasting about a second. Can get really annoying especially when streaming. Frame rate overall maxes at 60 VSYNC and averages at 40. I'm mid-game, a large tech and a LOT of blocks all over the map which don't go away.

System:
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-4750k CPU @ 4.00 GHz OC 4.40GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 16GB
GPU: 2x NVIDIA GTX 970. I'll be getting a GTX 1080 soon so I should get better results.

Graphics Options
Resoultion: 1920 x 1080
Full Screen: Off
Gamma: default

hahadead7777

Aug 1, 2015
C: Poor frame rate is an issue that occurs when I first bring a block near my very large Tech to attach it. Basically it is because very roughly 500+ attachment points are loading at once. On other large Techs not all of the attachment points load at once. And yes I know my laptop is bad.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2030M @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 4GB

Graphics Options
Resoultion: 1024x768
High Dynamic Range: Off
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Gamma: 100%
Draw Distance: around 20-40%

Flip

Jul 6, 2016
C (well sometimes also A)

Intel Xeon e3 1231 v3
msi r9 280x gaming 3g
msi h97 gaming 3
installed on an hdd
16 gb ddr3 1600

GPU Temperature around 70 degree.

settings: quality: Good
1920*1080
HDR on
Anti alaising off

Normally 60 fps( capped out of some reason, cant find why)
when having something under my control that is similiar to an average invader: 27fps
Fight Between my invader big machine and an Invader: 7 fps

When my fps drop, one of my cores will be under full load and will switch into turbo mode, which also wont help.

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
C (well sometimes also A)

Intel Xeon e3 1231 v3
msi r9 280x gaming 3g
msi h97 gaming 3
installed on an hdd
16 gb ddr3 1600

GPU Temperature around 70 degree.

settings: quality: Good
1920*1080
HDR on
Anti alaising off

Normally 60 fps( capped out of some reason, cant find why)
when having something under my control that is similiar to an average invader: 27fps
Fight Between my invader big machine and an Invader: 7 fps

When my fps drop, one of my cores will be under full load and will switch into turbo mode, which also wont help.
The frame rate is capped at 60fps because VSYNC is turned on. You can turn it off using your GPU manager software, but you may get frame tears

Flip

Jul 6, 2016
The frame rate is capped at 60fps because VSYNC is turned on. You can turn it off using your GPU manager software, but you may get frame tears
No it isnt that. I am turning V Sync off right from the start in every game.
I would more likely say that my amd driver is again having problems with the fps lock being active but not showing.

BroBane

Sep 24, 2015
B
poor frame rate is an issue that happens constantly
CPU AMD A8 6500 (@3.5 GHZ)
Gpu AMD radeon r7 HD8750D
Full Screen
Draw distance: Minimum
Graphics: Fastest
8 gb ddr3 RAM
Res: 1920 x 1080 '
I have not experienced crashes, only Lag

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
No it isnt that. I am turning V Sync off right from the start in every game.
I would more likely say that my amd driver is again having problems with the fps lock being active but not showing.
Oh. I'm getting literal thousands of FPS at the start of Terratech. At the end... About 20 lol. NVIDIA force disables VSYNC on Terratech for me anyway, so I'm not sure whether the game defaults to VSYNC or whether it's a driver problem with AMD

RodrigoONE

Jun 15, 2016
Terratech 0.6.1

Processor:
Intel Core i7 3632QM @ 2.20GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8GB8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 Mhz (11-11-11-28)
Graphics Options

Hello, I believe that spoils the sandbox games is the lack of a script to wipe the memory when you move away from the objects for example, realize that it is not lack of video processing which leaves the low fps, but a lot of memory used. It seems that the more things on the screen you find walking through the map takes up more and more memory and it does not clear when you are away. It may be that I'm talking about things that do not exist, but it seems when playing. It may be possible to create or be an engine problem.

I think the game is not so heavy texture, but could take down half the quality to see if something better. Sometimes it seems that even the camera stuck in tech hinders performance could put a free camera.
An example that could give, when you have a new game he usually stays with 1GB to 2GB of memory in use, when you have 5 or 10 hours of game memory goes to 4GB or more.

A question I ask is whether the inventory keeps the amount and content of each block and it interferes with the memory used. Usually the game does fall when you create bases or 2 or more AI Techs. I also wonder if you have looked at the background animation on the standby screen? It runs very fast, real speed and with great techs sometimes, I think that the Sandbox is too large pro game, could reduce it by 50% to see if something better and the camera is different there.

They could also launch a "MOD" or "Patch" for personnel install and do tests with reduced textures and lighting quality. I have played Kerbal Space Program produced with the same engine, and the game flows very well up to a point, when you have many blocks on the screen with the light effects and animations the fps to me is less than 20, but in a very absurd scale mounts rockets, when playing in normal mode the fps is very good, I have over 50 mods installed and the game flows much better than the Terratech which has smaller size 780 MB (818,077,649 bytes), my installation of KSP has 7.54 GB (8,101,042,331 bytes) with the mods.

Well I have helped with my posting here, I'm a power user, already had initiation programming course but it was not my thing, I speak more as a "player" and comment here what seems to happen. I have a bad Notebook you can not run Terratech, tell it to be light, but Sandbox games have these problems. hug

Reactions: Gameslinx

VsUK

Nov 11, 2015
C - Poor frame rate is an issue that occurs when there's 3 or 4 large invaders attacking at once!

Processor: AMD FX 8350 8 core 4Ghz
Installed Memory (RAM): 16GB DDR3 2133
System type: 64bit
GPU: HD 7850
Harddrive: SSD

Graphics Options
Resoultion:
1920x1080
Quality: Good

I can render video & play World of Tanks at the same time, so it's definitely coding not my system!

matik2002

Sep 16, 2015
Processor: Intel Core i5-5200U (quad-core)
Installed Memory: 4GB DDR3 (that's what I know about my RAM thingy)
System Type & OS: Windows 10 Home, 64bit
GPU: NVidia GeForce 980M (I think so)
Hard drive: SSD

Resolution: 1366x768
Quality: Good
Depth of Field: You disabled it because of Unity issues with DirectX 10, so you know that it's OFF.
Gamma: 10% I think

C - Poor framerate is an issue when launching/quitting the game.
C - Poor framerate is an issue when I am loading R&D Test Chamber.
C - Poor framerate is an issue when generally loading and unloading anything.

Reactions: NovaLegion

Squiggy

Jun 2, 2016
this doesn't have to do with game, but my computer can barely handle the lowest graphics

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
I've noticed lately that when I start off at a new base (same save, though), the framerate is near 60. Big tech, big base, 60fps. All good. 2 or so IRL days later, and the framerate's down to 20-30 with a lot of random freezes for 1-2 seconds. No blocks on the ground (all inside the SCU). Base is the same size, and the tech is slightly bigger. Combat (or a lot of weapon fire) is a big nope and takes frames down to 12 or so.

BUT

When i move my gigantic tech from my relatively clean patch where my base is, and travel ~10,000 units in a given direction, my framerate jumps back up to 60 and I can build another similarly sized base. 2 days later, it all goes bad and i gotta repeat

System:
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-4750k CPU @ 4.00 GHz OC 4.40GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 16GB
GPU: 2x NVIDIA GTX 970. I'll be getting a GTX 1080 soon so I should get better results.

Graphics Options
Gamma: default

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
I'd give specs, but if you just give players a max fps feature in the options, that should help a lot. I've played Minecraft and fps was such a huge problem. Then I messed with the max fps, and it worked like a champ. Of course, I don't know what your game engine lets you do. Minecraft's a totally different game engine, I'm sure.

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
I'd give specs, but if you just give players a max fps feature in the options, that should help a lot. I've played Minecraft and fps was such a huge problem. Then I messed with the max fps, and it worked like a champ. Of course, I don't know what your game engine lets you do. Minecraft's a totally different game engine, I'm sure.
The game is already capped at 60 fps (VSYNC) which prevents frame tears. The game runs smooth (apart from those annoying 1-second freezes) so uncapping the framerate isn't necessary. And why add a 30 fps option?

Rockfarmer

Aug 27, 2015
Performance issues:
periodical stutter/lag spike when moving the camera around or flying a tech around the world.
general frame rate drop when there are lots of effects on screen, bubbles, lighting, other techs, and lag spikes when weapons are firing, etc.

Graphical issues:
Pretty horrible texture flickering/tearing, both with in-game AA and with GPU overriding(or assisting) the in-game AA with max settings. (I am talking about blocks seen from a distance)

System:
Processor: i7-6700k @4,2 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 16 Gb
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970.

Graphics Settings
Quality:
beautiful
Depth of Field: Off (I would use DOF if I could get one with less aggressive blurring)
High Dynamic Range: off
Gamma: default + 2-3%

Off topic: I would really like to be able to tweak the individual settings for graphics (shadows, AA, AO, Depth of Field) if possible.