Hawkeye Combat Challenge [ARCHIVE]

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
We want to see the best Techs you can build that embody the true nature of Hawkeye -- COMBAT!

We will take your Techs and pit them against a number of medium sized enemy Techs. All Techs in the fight will be AI controlled so that it's a fair match up.

Rules:
- Techs must be no larger than 5x5x5
- Only Hawkeye blocks allowed
- No Techs will receive battery power before the fight
- One Tech per player.

The stream for this Challenge will be at 5pm GMT Friday 13th January 2016 over at https://www.twitch.tv/terratechgame

The winner shall receive a Hawkeye forum badge and the chance to get their name in the backstory of a Hawkeye block of their choice!

HappyApathy

Kind of bouncing from the ridiculously huge 15x15x15 to a rather miniscule 5x5x5 here (yes, I do have to complain about everything), I mean this is what 5x5x5 looks like:

tecchsize.jpg

I wouldn't consider anything that fits in there anything near medium sized for a tech ("tiny" would be the way I would describe a tech that size), your starting tech in the campaign would pretty much outdo that size within 10 minutes of starting a new game, and a cannon or minigun would almost take up half the space of that (Hawkeye's large cannon wouldn't fit at all), I couldn't even fit something like this into there:

Low Down.png

Something more like 8 x 8 x 6 (for height) I think would work better, then we might be able to build some impressive but manageable sized techs in for this competition.

Also will the fight be against multiple enemies simultaneously or one by one? If its against a series of enemies does the tech submitted get to be repaired between each fight?

Last edited:

Zed

Looking forward to this competition; 2 questions though?

By when and where must the Techs be submitted?
Will this competition be held in the R&D area which is mostly level or on rougher terrain?

Zargn

Administrator
Looking forward to this competition; 2 questions though?

Will this competition be held in the R&D area which is mostly level or on rougher terrain?
I think you have untill the stream starts to upload your Tech.
And the competition will probably be in R&D.

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
as the hawkeye tracks are 4x2x1 (lxhxw) could you please increase the size so that we can have two tracks per side not one as the techs would be very unstable and likely to do forward and rear rolls when starting and stopping
as an example of this problem here is a fit in the comp size volume, but un-drivable as it DOES roll onto the back when starting and onto the nose when stopping hawkeyecomp2 size .png
and it is exactly 5 wide 5 long and only 4 high, and ha the practical max of weapons for the size
(btw this is NOT a comp entry but an example of some of the problems that will happen in this size )

Last edited:

Chrii_the_Vieh

Most of the complaints above are right and on top of that, if you perch a 5x5x5 tech to more than one enemy at the same time it will be doomed 99.9% (esspecially given the stupidity of the current AI and no chance to test the techs submitted properly).

BUT... the awkward as it sounds, I like the challenge now better than the one before!
The only thing which makes it bad is the fact, that due to the limitation of space, contender techs will most likely look the same (or even be the same) and a lot of Hawkeyes pretty blocks are not to be used (which is a shame).

I think that true achievements come from true and hard challenges, as this one is now.
It will be a though one to beat and it might be a fun one.

If I'm not mistaken, 5x5x5 fights don't take long. So more than one contender-tech per player might be a way to spice it up, given that the techs have to differ a lot.
You might even consider making it a three vs three group battle, where players have to build a squad of three techs to participate.

Even though I suspect that the whining about this challenge's rules will intensify and therefore the whole thing won't work or the rules will be changed, I will start building first thing tomorrow as soon as I find some spare time. I love 5x5x5 it inspires crazy building.

Zed

If I'm not mistaken, 5x5x5 fights don't take long. So more than one contender-tech per player might be a way to spice it up, given that the techs have to differ a lot.
You might even consider making it a three vs three group battle, where players have to build a squad of three techs to participate.
Based on what I know of Terratech AI Spawning while it might be possible to provide the format you suggest as two rival enemy gangs spawning essentially atop one another though I personally see nothing wrong with one on one rounds, which, depending on the number of contestants involved / time constraints might justify "Double-Elimination" bracketing.

Regarding the 5x by 5y by 5z I suspect that petite size was chosen to effectively eliminate the tank treads from the competition which should encourage creativity.

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Attach snapshots of your Techs to this forum thread before Friday ideally :)
On rough-ish grasslands I believe. Probably with no trees. Think the open spaces in the current forum background.

Chrii_the_Vieh

I have built some... MiniMonster:

It is my submission for the contest if I don't feel like making it better.
Feel free to have a look:

MiniTerrorCubeV4
MiniTerrorCubeV4.png

Despite being tiny, this techs wrecks all R&D turrets with ease, is able to crack the defensive cube (in about 1 minute) and can take down the huge TT-sign in seconds.
I don't know it's performance in Grassland, but it should be okay with some soft terrain.

You should only allow one cab per tech in these competitions imho.

StyxAnnihilator

5x5x5 have a block count (volume) of 125. So could say that is the max, then can select the x*y*z. Also give more variations. I will probably not participate.

EDIT 2: Throw in a glass box with bunch of rockets and AI modules.:

Attachments

Last edited:

Darkdc119

Website
www.twitch.tv
First: "No Techs will receive battery power before the fight"
Oke battery power does that mean no battery or X that require power so in this case if i read it correct i can give power to X but it can not be any Batteries so mobile furnace\furnace is OK to give X power ?

Second: "All Techs in the fight will be AI controlled so that it's a fair match up"
Does this mean it MUST be a mobile Tech or can it also be a "Turret" or a "small base" ( hence the first question)

- Techs must be no larger than 5x5x5 = like @HappyApathy said everything that FITS in the 5x5x5 should be oke
- Only Hawkeye blocks allowed = - Very clear ( First Question should be superfluous but u never know what people invent)
- One Tech per player. = Darn , but very clear

5x5x5 have a block count (volume) of 125. So could say that is the max, then can select the x*y*z. Also give more variations. I will probably not participate.
Don`t think dimension can be changed we already had this kind of question and we could only make it to max that specific dimension , hence the many entries of a cube

Last edited:

Chrii_the_Vieh

First: "No Techs will receive battery power before the fight"
Oke battery power does that mean no battery or X that require power so in this case if i read it correct i can give power to X but it can not be any Batteries so mobile furnace\furnace is OK to give X power ?
This rule is obsolete anyways. Why? There is no HE-battery or enegy-block.
"- Only Hawkeye blocks allowed = - Very clear"

Second: "All Techs in the fight will be AI controlled so that it's a fair match up"
Does this mean it MUST be a mobile Tech or can it also be a "Turret" or a "small base" ( hence the first question)
As long as you don't want to build your tech around on of the large HE-blocks that have an anchor...

EDIT: I just recognised, that I excluded the use of the AI-sentry. Might be wrong there...
Also, if the AI-sentry is allowed, I will do some changes to my tech, as this thing is more than OP to use in size-to-damage ratio.

Last edited:

Darkdc119

Website
www.twitch.tv
This rule is obsolete anyways. Why? There is no HE-battery or enegy-block.

As long as you don't want to build your tech around on of the large HE-blocks that have an anchor...
You are right on the first one But the question was also in an other question processed that again the whole batteries Then was actualy about the Bubbles HE do use Repair and can be powered up so it is not entirely obsolete even tho HE does not Have batteries or Solar Generators.

EDIT (not applicable more) Second that is not thru HE has an anchor u don`t use it as an anchor but it does have the HE Helion AI Sentry that can be anchored and therefor can be used as an Turret and or Small tiny base in this Competition.If you don`t WANT to use it thats an other question.

It is not that something can not be done but what people can invent or find out in the game that can be used as a simple solution what u want to achieve . I have seen things build by people that is impossible and NORMALLY should not work but they build it and they use simple solution or the most ingenious build to make this thing happen , even glitches like the simple hover\wheel glitch to make the tech lighter\hover in the air that NORMALLY should only hover on the ground . It is the Idea that people always find a way to achieve there goal .

Last edited:

hyev42

I'm getting the feeling that who ever can cram the most amount of missiles into their tech is going to win.
thus very short rounds.