Having some issues

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Redlegdaddy, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Redlegdaddy

Redlegdaddy Well-Known Member

So I am 39 hours in and I have a decent little base and some medium sized techs and now my game has become almost unplayable because of lag and low frame rate. I am playing on the lowest settings possible, my drivers are updated etc. I meet the recommended system specs so I am not sure where to go from here. I started a new game and I have zero lag there, I was just getting to the point where I could build interesting things so any help would be appreciated.

2. Baconus_Yum

Baconus_Yum Administrator Moderator Beta Deluxe Ex-Lemon King Canary Sumo Champ

One question: How many resources do you have in silos?

Zed likes this.
  3. Redlegdaddy

Zero resources in silo's

4. Senorragequit

Senorragequit SRQ Vice President Moderator TT Translator Canary

Could you please to the following:

1. Press the Windows key and type dxdiag in the search box
    2. Click on dxdiag.exe
    3. Click Save All Information
    4. Give it a name you can remember
    5. Upload it here as an attachment.

:)

Zed likes this.
  5. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Would that include setting your draw distance to roughly midway along the slider and playing at a lower 16:9 resolution such as 1280x720?

TerraTech is very CPU intensive (GHZ, not cores due to Unity) and also requires at the very least a decent (Nvidia 650GT w/ 2GB DDR3) GPU with more than 8Gb RAM. (Preferably 16)

The Steam Store Page for Terratech lists Minimum and Recommended specifications from a far earlier version of TerraTech which could be argued are simply no longer Valid once 0.7.0 was released. In my opinion the Recommended specs should be along the following lines:

Intel I5-4440
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    12 GB DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia 750GT 2GB DDR3

6. Redlegdaddy

Here it is

Attached Files:

Zed likes this.
  7. Dellamorte

Dellamorte Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe Canary TT Streamer

I hate to be picky but that is sort of my thing, gigahertz is abbreviated to GHz not GHZ. It just looks strange to me and my eyes keep seeing it :p.

8. Senorragequit

Senorragequit SRQ Vice President Moderator TT Translator Canary

Maybe you should start another save and see if there is the same problem. If not, then that save seems to be bugged.

9. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

@Redlegdaddy

After reviewing your DxDiag the issue is your i7 not having a high clock speed @ 2.4 GHz since Terratech seems to rely predominantly on a single core. Within your Geforce Panel create a game profile for Terratech64 and force it to max performance to help compensate for this. Additionally in your power schemes Force High Performance mode whenever plugged in.

With those tweaks ask Terratech to run at fastest in the open unity loader, and set Terratech to 1600x900 or 1280x720 and adjust draw distance to no higher than 50% at which point the Steam FPS overlay should report ~75FPS in the TerraTech Main Screen which features a couple of stray techs fighting.

Additionally, I highly advise you upgrade your RAM to 16GB of CL9 running at least 1600MHz to improve performance since as additional windows updates occur the OS itself will consume additional memory with each passing month.

10. Redlegdaddy

Yes to both.

Terratechs graphics do not seem to warrant these kind of specs.

Is this a known problem with saves?

11. Dellamorte

Yes the game is not yet optimised so you will find that if you are playing on a lower spec machine you will experience slow down. Your system while not low spec is on the lower side so I am not surprised you are getting slowdown. Try moving a long way away from your base and see if that helps, a lot of user with lower system specs are having the same problem ATM.

12. Redlegdaddy

I am curious as to what is causing the issues. Is it items on the ground or the number of AI bots in the world? Finding out this would make it possible to build workarounds such as an option to clear ground items every X mins or shutting down AI from a certain range. No matter how far from my base I go the lag persists so it seems to be something global. I am working on the changes Zed suggested and I will then give it another go, totally did not realize my power was not set to performance XD. If all else fails I will try another save, are glitchy saves a thing in this game?

13. Dellamorte

They can be ATM because of the new mission system, as for turning off the AI and clearing blocks they are both a thing in the game. Could you upload your save so we can see if there any other problems with your save.

14. Redlegdaddy

Here is the save, in regards to clearing blocks and AI how does one control those?

Attached Files:

15. Dellamorte

You can not ATM they are set by the devs and the users can to change the settings. If you try to make sure to pick up as many blocks as you can this may help.

16. Redlegdaddy

Well changed the power settings, messed with .net. Was not able to make a profile to force overlocking on a single core as control panel is now legacy and not supported for my card. Overall game is running at 30sih FPS now which is HUGELY better. I will continue to look for a way to overlock a core for Terratech. Thank you all for the replies, really nice community here!!

17. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

In the pursuit of even higher framerates with a similar machine to your own @Redlegdaddy Ive discovered that reducing Music Volume to Zero in the options menu has netted a modest increase in overall framerate:

A second but less important "tweak" is to open task manager once Terratech is running and set the process to "high" priority in order to help Windows compensate for Terratech's current lack of multi-core optimization.

In case you were curious it is:
    i7-3610QM
    Win 7 64bit Home Premuim
    16 GB CL9 DDR3 1600MHz
    GeForce 650M 2gb DDR3

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017