Harvester with Tracking Harvesting Head?

Discussion in 'Techs' started by Lost Ninja, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

Has anyone made such a thing?

Basically Havester would be Tractor Pads/Silos + Basic Processing, Power and movement. On the front/sides you have the harvesting machines (GeoCorp Drills) but attached by way of the various hinges so that they track the ground and don't become stuck on things (as easily).

I gave it a try tonight and while I got one to work it kept falling to pieces (no save either), but then I never did have much luck with the hinge/rotor/stator/etc system, so I wonder if one of those people who know the ins and outs of them has tried something like this?

Lord Zarnox and AstraTheDragon like this.
  2. -=ROOSTER=-

-=ROOSTER=- The Pebble in your Shoe

I was having the same issues with hanging up on things all the time (tree limbs, rocks & crystals getting under drills) and spent a lot of time trying to come up with the best way to go about fixing it. That was what inspired the design of what I consider to be my favorite tech out of all that I have built. The solution I finally settled upon (I will attempt to post a snapshot of it below) is really simple. Put the drills just low enough to get in under the limbs of a tree, and on a tech low profile enough not to hang. To deal with the rocks & crystals that get in under, just put a row facing downward to catch them. It's not a perfect solution, but works really well for me. Just drive it around in campaign a little bit and you'll see what I mean. Hope this helps. - Rooster AAHmkIV.png

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  3. -=ROOSTER=-

Apparently I screwed that up. That was supposed to be a the snapshot, not just a picture of it. If anyone knows how to do it the correct way please chime in. :D

4. Lost Ninja

I have a variety of techs like that, it was more the technical challenge of using the axles et al to do something useful (for me), so not only could I get something I want to use but I could learn more about how other people use those parts.

But thank you anyway.

F10 for screen shot.

Click button in bottom corner for a snap shot, snap shots are stored in: E:\My Documents\My Games\TerraTech\Snapshots (Replace "My Documents" with wherever your main documents folder is on your PC, (Mac is different). Eg for me my snapshots are at E:\Files\My Games\TerraTech\Snapshots.)

5. -=ROOSTER=-

I had no trouble finding my snapshots. I was intending to post the tech itself (my first try at posting one) so you could check it out if you wanted, but it somehow just came out as the picture.

6. merkesch

merkesch Well-Known Member

Did you have something like this in mind?

7. Lost Ninja

Pretty much precisely what I was thinking. Thank you.

8. Revolver265

Revolver265 ZeroGravitas's #8 fanboy

Have you guys tried using hoverplates? Try using the bull bars as standard, but use hover plates that hold themselves just above the ground. Or add the EXP trailer wheels, which don't have passive braking (ie: they go into neutral instead of letting you knock in the handbrake)

merkesch likes this.
  9. merkesch

no, never thought about that
    sounds interesting
    will try that

10. Revolver265

Revolver265 ZeroGravitas's #8 fanboy

Yeah, I was thinking one set of trailer wheels facing front, the other set facing down. Smaller trailer wheels scattered in an arc to aid with climbing.

11. merkesch

Replaced the tank tracks with Hover Plates & Trailer Wheels

Attached Files:

Revolver265 likes this.