GUI

Darci

Feb 10, 2015
Was wasting some time on Youtube, seeing TerraTech videos, and...

Got an idea!

If you devs want simplicity, why don't you take this...

...and just improve it?

I mean, you can add little icons (maybe?), split the blocks into factions > block type, use or purpose, just like in a wiki...

i.e.:
/////GeoCorp > Wheels > Workaday wheel
........................................> Jaws wheel
........................................> Big Boy wheel

or maybe, putting the block type first...

/////Wheels > GeoCorp > Workaday wheel
........................................> Jaws wheel
........................................> Big Boy wheel

..................... > GSO > Little trekker wheel
..................................> Dirt wheel

...add a little hint 'balloon', saying what it needs to be crafted, and description (if needed)...

It would be very efficient, would not take the entire screen, and there would not be long lists to scroll over!

And in case of the refinery and delivery cannon, showing only what you have in the base.

EDIT: to unlock the recipes (initially shown as a locker icon), we should do a type of "research", by first finding the part, after this, it would be required to "disassemble" it in the Scrapper, for the recipe to show up in the UI, ("and for the system to store the block data") and then pay some currency to be able to craft it. (Credits to @bogieman987)
-Note: at the start of the game, we should already have a scrapper in one of the bases, or, at least, hints on how to craft it, due to it being an essential piece for the research method. Same as the 2-slot refinery...

What do you think?

More ideas coming on new posts below, I'll edit this post as our fellows are addicting some great ones :p

Last edited:

Darci

Feb 10, 2015
Sorry for meaning "devs", but everyone who has a brain may post his thoughs here :p

(Just trying to take attention :D)

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
We do like the idea of having something this stripped down. We'll be looking at different ways to make the base work in the near future. Stay tuned :)

Reactions: Darci

Darci

Feb 10, 2015
Maybe you can put something on the R&D, so we can see what you're planning... :rolleyes:

Azuratte

Feb 11, 2015
So, I'm not reading the main topic correctly, is that showing what you can make with the items you have in your factory? That would be nice, if it also included an "advanced" button to see the entire list of items and requirements.

Darci

Feb 10, 2015
You got that, but this is only to filter the list of resources in the refinery and delivery cannon menus, because if not, the list would be very long, showing ALL the ores... o_O

The fabricator would still show all the recipes, but split into menus, as I said above, so it's waaay easier to find what you want, and with a popup menu showing details and requirements for the pointed recipe. At the bottom of the main menu, slots for looping. Simple, but effective UI, I'm sure.

But after 0.4.4 update, crafting feels much easier and better now. I loved to know there is a very wide variety of blocks now (all GSO's), and I loved how this alloy refining system works, and I'm loving to spend hours on the R&D testing every new recipe. Now I'm going to craft some alloy refinery and scrapper in the main game, to continue the tests.

I still want the UI, but not as much as I wanted it before this build, and I'm soooo loving to feel like a scientist in a chemical lab, exploring the world with my little factory mounted Tech, mixing and discovering everything! :p

Great, great job guys, I really wasn't waiting for this experience!

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
But after 0.4.4 update, crafting feels much easier and better now. I loved to know there is a very wide variety of blocks now (all GSO's), and I loved how this alloy refining system works, and I'm loving to spend hours on the R&D testing every new recipe. Now I'm going to craft some alloy refinery and scrapper in the main game, to continue the tests.

I still want the UI, but not as much as I wanted it before this build, and I'm soooo loving to feel like a scientist in a chemical lab, exploring the world with my little factory mounted Tech, mixing and discovering everything! :p

Great, great job guys, I really wasn't waiting for this experience!
That's great to hear! Looking forward to showing you what else we have in store.

Knyghtefall

Jan 5, 2015
Well, to be frank, Fabricating is still a bitch, but there's a lot more options now. That being said, being able to manually feed the various Base Blocks *is* a ton better (then trying to randomly fling resources at the right spot).

HUGELY manual process though.

I do very much like the alloy system. Definitely lots of potential there, especially when they start adding the more advanced blocks.

Reactions: Jamie

bogieman987

Aug 13, 2014
Ireland
Good idea on the UI, pretty much what I would hope for at this point, anything that can tell me what I need without having to wiki it, even if I have to "discover" it before hand.

Just a thought on how to expand it to include other aspects like the research thing, maybe we could have two "research levels", first where we simply find the thing, which would make it actually pop up in the UI, and then the next level would be knowing how to make it, which would require the "Scrapper" (I think it's called that), after it's gone through that, the little balloon that pops up would tell you what you need to make it.

Reactions: Tinywar and Darci

Darci

Feb 10, 2015
Loved the research idea :D
Consider it as a part of mine now, I'm editting the main post :p

Adding more: after all the research, the recipe may cost Block Bucks to unlock it, so we have somewhat more to spend it :D

Last edited:

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
We'll be looking into a UI of sorts in the next couple of weeks. There will still be an element of recipe discovery to it...but we do want to give the player a lot more control and understanding over what they're doing :)

Tinywar

Aug 13, 2014
We'll be looking into a UI of sorts in the next couple of weeks. There will still be an element of recipe discovery to it...but we do want to give the player a lot more control and understanding over what they're doing :)
YaY!!

bogieman987

Aug 13, 2014
Ireland
Another thought, you could have a modular filter system where initially it would view all parts, then for example, you could add a "corporation" filter, now it'll show only blocks from said corporation, then you could add a "wheel" filter, now you'll only see wheels from said corporation, likewise, if you wanted to know what weapons are available from all corporations you could just have a "weapons" filter, and then perhaps you could have a size filter, "large", "medium", "small", or even a type, "ballistic", "laser" etc, and then if you wanted a weapon from a specific corporation, you could add the appropriate filter.

And it also would be useful to have a favorites and a most used section as well.

Azuratte

Feb 11, 2015
Well, why not have a list of the different manufactures, click them, then they have their drop down list. Then click the picture of the thing you want to put it in a queue, the more clicks on the same part, the more of that part are queued. If the factory has the materials refined, then it'd poop it out, if not. If not how about a RED exclamation mark above an icon of the missing materials hovering over... something suitable. Wouldn't even need names, just people friendly pictures.

Az

P.S. For the love of all things fluffy, no research, steal the tech from someone else or have it already, this isn't Starcraft™.

Darci

Feb 10, 2015
Another thought, you could have a modular filter system where initially it would view all parts, then for example, you could add a "corporation" filter, now it'll show only blocks from said corporation, then you could add a "wheel" filter, now you'll only see wheels from said corporation, likewise, if you wanted to know what weapons are available from all corporations you could just have a "weapons" filter, and then perhaps you could have a size filter, "large", "medium", "small", or even a type, "ballistic", "laser" etc, and then if you wanted a weapon from a specific corporation, you could add the appropriate filter.

And it also would be useful to have a favorites and a most used section as well.
Good idea, but, with so many items added, don't you think the menu would need to be bigger ? This is everything that devs don't want. That's just because they took off the old system, and I'm trying to offer them an idea of a simple, but very effective UI, that doesn't take all the screen :p
(A "favourites" tab would be acceptable, but I really don't think it's necessary, cuz' things will already be easy to find, since they are split into submenus :D)

bogieman987

Aug 13, 2014
Ireland
The menu wouldn't need to get too big, I mean, there's only so many filters that you would need to be applied, even then, it could be a simple as clicking a "+" icon and then choosing from there, and even then you could limit the amount filters, so if you chose "weapons", "wheels", "wings" etc wouldn't show up.

All dynamic and stuff, and could just be sat at the top like tabs on a browser.

I figured that it may be easier that way you could see a part, and identify it, say you found a wheel, but wasn't sure what it belonged to (always going for wheels and weapons lol) you could just add the wheel filter, now you've got all the wheels, hover over the one you see, popup appears with info, and viola, you now know what corporation it belongs to and maybe how to make one.

I know what you're on about, as well, I suppose in the end it would end up being how it's presented, size of font used, icons and whatnot.

P.S. For the love of all things fluffy, no research, steal the tech from someone else or have it already, this isn't Starcraft™.
That's pretty much the what we have already, if I ever say research, in terms of this game at least, I just mean finding the parts and unlocking them to build.

Darci

Feb 10, 2015
Well, why not have a list of the different manufactures, click them, then they have their drop down list. Then click the picture of the thing you want to put it in a queue, the more clicks on the same part, the more of that part are queued. If the factory has the materials refined, then it'd poop it out, if not. If not how about a RED exclamation mark above an icon of the missing materials hovering over... something suitable. Wouldn't even need names, just people friendly pictures.

Az

Only images would be good, if UI had a "grid" arrangement (we may consider this) :D

"P.S.": too easy, isn't it? Now tell me: Which would be the Guardians purpose then? Useless... Which would be the purpose of Block Bucks then? Buying already built Techs? No, thanks, I prefer building my unique Techs, because "BUILDING" is one of the key words that describe the game... (Sorry devs for your idea, it's just my opinion :()

What really annoys me is that some people want everything like taking candy from a baby... What's the problem?? :mad:
P.S.: The UI makes things easy? Yes, it does, but many people were complaining about crafting random stuff from an auto fabricator (at least before last update), so here's the solution. :p