GSO Pusher Conveyor

Sardaukar

Apr 22, 2017
I'm positive that this is not a new idea, but searching for terms like pusher, puller, and inserter yielded no results and the only thread I can recall reading with a similar idea was more of change to conveyor behavior than a new block. So:

A new block, GSO themed, similar in appearance to the Alternator Conveyor, that has the job of pushing or pulling resources onto or off of any other block that can hold them—chiefly: conveyors, collectors, receivers, and silos. This simple mechanic would have three positive effects on the game. First, it would allow cleaner designs by replacing the use of filters for this job in the situations where they can be used; it'd (probably?) be cheaper to produce and would not clutter up the visual space with filter symbols. Second, it would enable more interesting tech designs, such as a harvester tech that uses a collector on the front to gather resources which are then conveyed to the rear of the vehicle where these pusher blocks insert the resources onto larger collector pads that would be drained by receiver pads at a refinery. Third, it would help with some workarounds for conveyor timing issues (like refineries and filters occasionally "jamming") in a cleaner manner than using multiple conveyor exits or extra filters.

For example, in the attached pictures are two potential uses for such a block.
  1. In order to deal with the issue of filters skipping every third block, a silo has been placed to ensure a smooth flow off the main belt with a second filter being used to pull resources off the silo and onto the secondary belt. The second filter could be replaced by a pusher, alleviating visual clutter.
  2. The alternator conveyor blocks here are being used as stand-ins for a potential pusher conveyor, which would take resources off the conveyor belt and push them onto the adjoining collector pad, ready to be retrieved by a receiver pad at the base.
Now you might ask, regarding the use of a pusher for harvester techs, why build them like this? Why not just use one collector pad normally instead of conveyor setups chaining a forward "gathering" collector to a rearward "storing/offloading" collector? Well, besides looking cooler, it's also less messy as resources are unlikely to get stuck inside the tech trying to reach an awkwardly placed collector compared to one placed front and low near the mining equipment. More importantly: I believe a lot of people interested in this game have a commonly held nostalgia about how a harvester/refinery setup should look and operate; refering to the uploaded gif.

Attachments

Last edited:

JimmyBlether

Regrettably Inactive (long term)
Jul 31, 2017
Somewhere off the map
tinyurl.com
I'm positive that this is not a new idea, but searching for terms like pusher, puller, and inserter yielded no results and the only thread I can recall reading with a similar idea was more of change to conveyor behavior than a new block. So:

A new block, GSO themed, similar in appearance to the Alternator Conveyor, that has the job of pushing or pulling resources onto or off of any other block that can hold them—chiefly: conveyors, collectors, receivers, and silos. This simple mechanic would have three positive effects on the game. First, it would allow cleaner designs by replacing the use of filters for this job in the situations where they can be used; it'd (probably?) be cheaper to produce and would not clutter up the visual space with filter symbols. Second, it would enable more interesting tech designs, such as a harvester tech that uses a collector on the front to gather resources which are then conveyed to the rear of the vehicle where these pusher blocks insert the resources onto larger collector pads that would be drained by receiver pads at a refinery. Third, it would help with some workarounds for conveyor timing issues (like refineries and filters occasionally "jamming") in a cleaner manner than using multiple conveyor exits or extra filters.

For example, in the attached pictures are two potential uses for such a block.
  1. In order to deal with the issue of filters skipping every third block, a silo has been placed to ensure a smooth flow off the main belt with a second filter being used to pull resources off the silo and onto the secondary belt. The second filter could be replaced by a pusher, alleviating visual clutter.
  2. The alternator conveyor blocks here are being used as stand-ins for a potential pusher conveyor, which would take resources off the conveyor belt and push them onto the adjoining collector pad, ready to be retrieved by a receiver pad at the base.
Now you might ask, regarding the use of a pusher for harvester techs, why build them like this? Why not just use one collector pad normally instead of conveyor setups chaining a forward "gathering" collector to a rearward "storing/offloading" collector? Well, besides looking cooler, it's also less messy as resources are unlikely to get stuck inside the tech trying to reach an awkwardly placed collector compared to one placed front and low near the mining equipment. More importantly: I believe a lot of people interested in this game have a commonly held nostalgia about how a harvester/refinery setup should look and operate; refering to the uploaded gif.
I like this idea! First of all, I'd just say it would be good if it had an on-off switch, but not a floaty icon.