Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Nocallia

Administrator
Aug 7, 2015
Elsewhere
As you know, the current refinery is modeled like this:
Refinery.png

This is good, but sometimes it can make bases a little... constrained in construction.
So my proposal is this:
Refinery.png
We make a new refinery model (Note, ONLY REFINERIES) that is basically a mirror of the other. I think almost no real coding is needed, all you have to do is copy and paste the stuff from the original refinery, then flip the design. This would make base building quite a bit more free. This would be available at grade 2 as well as the other refinery.

-Baconus

Nocallia

Administrator
Aug 7, 2015
Elsewhere
Sorry for TRIPLE POST, but I have some implication where a reverse refinery would be useful.

See this set-up? Only one of these refineries work, and with an inverse refinery they would be twice as effective.

Same Here. One side works, One doesn't.

-Baconus

Potato

Tinkerer of Titäns
Oct 8, 2016
There's been talk about the mirror function before in the forums. I think the devs want to implement this feature on everything as it makes for a more streamlined gameplay.

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
I was thinking of this recently today too working on a base. But we should have this for venture and any future refineries also, if they don't have a dual input/output system built in....maybe the GEO refinery if that is ever made as they are geared towards harvesting and would make sense, at least to me anyways. Maybe a 2x3 with input/output on opposite ends, or a 2x4 with inputs on the ends and outputs in the middle opposite side perhaps so as not to clog up the line?. I'll make a couple mock-ups for some designs in R&D sometime later today.

Last edited:

ilikegoodfood

Oct 9, 2014
United Kingdom
I believe that a mirror option as part of the rotation sequence, although probably on a different key, would be a more suitable long term answer, as it would allow for more compact solutions in other places as well, such as only needing one wing instead of a left and right wing for venture.

Reactions: FightBiscuit

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
We thought about this issue - but decided that we'd rather not spend too much time on building in this functionality (or a brand new block).

You can build around this pretty easily - get experimenting :) Not every base should achieve ultimate efficiency using just a couple of blocks.

Olli_DXD

Räksmörgås
Dec 26, 2015
Linköping, Sweden
We thought about this issue - but decided that we'd rather not spend too much time on building in this functionality (or a brand new block).

You can build around this pretty easily - get experimenting :) Not every base should achieve ultimate efficiency using just a couple of blocks.
But 87% says you should make another block. Listen to the community!

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
Listen to the community!
**7 people :)

There are technical restraints that come from adding a new block like this. Not to mention the confusion it will give to new players. We already have a left and a right wing - that's confusing as heck when you first encounter it.

Nocallia

Administrator
Aug 7, 2015
Elsewhere
**7 people :)

There are technical restraints that come from adding a new block like this. Not to mention the confusion it will give to new players. We already have a left and a right wing - that's confusing as heck when you first encounter it.
Then why not have the inverse refinery be grade 4, instead of 2?

ilikegoodfood

Oct 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Or add the flip option, for which we would understandably have to wait longer, but that would remove the left and right wing need altogether.

But 87% says you should make another block. Listen to the community!
That comes over as extremely demanding. I would caution being a little more polite or tactful in future. Yes the game is dependent on both the players and the devs, but it is also a privilege to have this much say/contact with the devs.
I have, sadly, never come across a game with this much community interaction.

Reactions: tomo_cjt and Jamie

ilikegoodfood

Oct 9, 2014
United Kingdom
We're going to. Attaching a wing to the left or right of a Tech will flip is to the correct side. The player will be able to override this using manual rotation.
I was thinking, as I'm sure you are fully aware, more generally than that.
In the same way that you have developed a list of valid rotations for blocks, so could a list of valid Reflections be created, and assigned to Mouse 3, clicking the scroll-wheel, which, as far as I'm aware, all mice have. As a less frequently used key with options only on a handful of none-symmetrical blocks, including Venture Wings, all Refineries, all Scrappers and a few others, it wouldn't be a problem there.
Of-course, that would require the game to be able to handle input-output logic, rendering and other things regardless of rotation and reflection, and it is dependent on my Mouse 3 assumption being true.
I am fully aware that this is probably a fairly large ask.

Last edited:

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
In the same way that you have developed a list of valid rotations for blocks, so could a list of valid Reflections be created
To have blocks like the Refinery work in a reflected/inverse/mirrored state would take more code work. We aren't looking to put any time into this kind of functionality. The issue can be built around by playing the game and building a Tech designed to work around it. Watch the last two Dev vs Dev live streams. I build around this issue on both of my runs :)
The current silos do look awesome, so if they could still be rendered
eh?

Reactions: Adriano

ilikegoodfood

Oct 9, 2014
United Kingdom
To have blocks like the Refinery work in a reflected/inverse/mirrored state would take more code work. We aren't looking to put any time into this kind of functionality.
Fair enough. I can still hope that in the distant future you may have the time to handle an optional feature like it, but that's for another day.

I have corrected the various grammatical errors in the off-topic and shipped it over to where it belongs. It should have read:
Speaking of None-Physics Objects Storage in Silos, the current silos do look awesome when full, so if the resource chunks they hold could still be rendered, but not physics objects, that'd be fantastic.
Sorry about the previous post, which I posted and then immediately deleted. I think that I somehow got the complete wrong end of the stick.

Last edited: