Graphics options: Fantastic -> Fastest -> I just want 60 FPS

Would you install a mod called "I just want 60 FPS"?

• Yes, I don't care as long as I can tell the resource types apart

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Maybe, I want better FPS but I don't want to look at nothing but cubes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No, keep the same quality as it is now, just optimize it

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No, I want graphics that I can't tell apart from real life even if it's at 1 frame per minute

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DoomDude

To start, I'm the kind of gamer who cares very little about how nice the graphics are in a game. To me, game design and play-ability are 100 times more important. In sandbox games, I prefer to have giant bases that can do lots of everything, but I'm limited in terra tech by FPS lag. If there was a graphics option called "Ultra faster than fastest but looks like garbage", I'd use it.

If I was a dev, or if I was to make a mod called "I just want 60 FPS" here is kind of how it would look in the game.

Adjustable auto save:
From my own experience and watching other people's videos, I'd guess the current auto save causes that fps stutter every 5 seconds or so, in particular when near your base with lots of blocks to save. More advanced options would include not auto saving while in the middle of combat.

Simple models for resources and bullets:
They are just resources and bullets, I wouldn't really care if every single one of them was a 2D image that rotated to always face you, they do the same thing in another more popular sandbox game. Yes, I'm aware that the devs are apparently overhauling the resource handling system.

What's with all the fancy explosions:
Whenever a gun shoots, whenever a bullet hits a shield or block, there's always a lovely little 3D explosion. I'd turn them into nice little 2D sprite that always faces the player.

GSO may like their blocks curvy, but I dont:
Even the simple starter GSO blocks have rounded edges, get a few hundred of them and bam, that's a lot of polygons. I'd make them cubes. In fact I'd make almost every block in the game a textured cube. The gun barrels would all turn into octagonal prisms, and I'd probably make each wheel with under 30 polygons.

With cubes comes the ability to hide faces:
You have two connected cubes on a tech, the two faces that are touching don't have to be rendered, awesome.

Physics under haul:
Yes, this would change some very fundamental aspects of the game. I'm just going to point form this part to give people an idea.
-when guns shoot, the bullet goes straight and it goes fast, no physics, the projectile trail would appear as a simple translucent white line.
- physics would not apply to resources in silos or conveyor belts
- I'm 70% sure that each block on your tech has it's own little physics calculations when you are driving around, it doesn't need it... kind of. This one is hard to explain and harder to code, depending on the physics engine they use. I just wanted to put this here so that maybe they'll look into grouping blocks together and giving that object to the physics engine if their not doing that already. The bigger the tech, the bigger the groups should be.

Thanks for reading,
DoomDude

DoomDude

In case it wasn't clear, I'm not actually making a mod. I just want to see how many people want the graphics options to go faster than the current "fastest"

Zudakas

I think a lot of the fps issues could be resolved just by applying block physics to loose blocks, and not attached blocks.
like:
onPhysicsCall(affectedBlock){
if <affectedBlock> = attached
physicsCallAffectTech(attachedTech)
else
phsycisCallAffectBlock(affectedBlock)}

Of course, I know it is more complicated, but meh. But, that could, of course, add more overhead by having every physics call do a check to see if the block was attached first...

Also, making resource blocks just fall to the ground without applying physics would probable be a safer bet to increase performance, particularly if you're like me and have mammoth resource collectors gathering hundreds (if not thousands) of resources, and dropping them into a storage base with a ton of the large mix silos.....

Just throwing in my 2 cents. Not that it is actually worth 2 cents... I haven't ever messed with unity or the TT engine...