GeoCorp Silos

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Lord Zarnox, Jul 1, 2018.

Tags:
?

Do you like either of these?

1. 2x2x2 silo (80 chunks)

40.0%
  2. 4x4x2 silo (320 chunks)

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

Yes, I know this has probably been suggested in various forms at least a dozen times, but anyway.

Simply, a 2x2x2 block that holds 4 stacks of 20 chunks (80 chunks total) and can accept/dispense chunks from any of the 16 attachment points on the sides (the four adjacent faces to the top/holding pad thingy). This allows for much more compact factories, as well as being useful in multilayered factories.

There should also be a 4x4x2 silo that holds 16 stacks of 20 chunks (320 chunks total), for added space efficiency. Like the previous one, conveyors can connect to the resources on any of the 32 attachment points on the sides.

However, the capacity of these silos comes at the cost of extreme weight (for GeoCorp blocks standards; they should be at least 4 times the density of Hawkeye blocks), so they are very difficult to transport on a mobile tech, but they do still function while unanchored.

ZeroGravitas and zanzistar like this.
  2. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

A model exists for I think a 4x4 silo for GC.

TBH I'd prefer something that stores resources without the lag so a box rather than a pad.

Lord Zarnox and harpo99999 like this.
  3. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

I would to, but how long will it take them to do that rather than simply changing some numbers?

4. Khaine

Khaine Well-Known Member

Unless you're leading a nomadic lifestyle I still don't understand why people don't just use GC scrappers+blocks for their crafting needs and insist on having large quantities of refined ores just hovering there for no good reason.

5. Lost Ninja

Because there is no reliable way to automate it.

In fact I do use this, I scrap GSO Resource blocks onto 2x2 silos. But with the bugs of silos dropping resources, so you come back to your base and you have resources all over the floor but your silos are full (from the scrappers).

And TBH if you don't need a 4x4 silo because you use scrappers why not look for something that would allow you to store resources effectively instead of a conventional silo?

6. Khaine

Khaine Well-Known Member

Automate? I have 3 GC scrappers per ore with a 1x1 silo at the end... that's like 650 refined ores if you fill up all the scrappers. There's no such thing as fully automated on TT, you always have to drop off resources or scrap something for the process to begin.

That *is* an effective storage solution, and my 1x1 silos aren't dropping resources anymore. Which is another good reason to avoid 2x2 or larger silos (but maybe that's just my game).

7. Mr-Vagabond

Mr-Vagabond Well-Known Member
    TT Translator

You put a 2x2 silo, then a refinery, then a 2x2 silo, then a fabricator at the end of the line wich collected the ressources chunks going out of your autominer, you place it on "auto crafting" for the ressource you are collecting, and you fixed an SCU near, your ressource will be collected, crafted, and stored without you bothering with it.

8. Lost Ninja

There is a reliable way to autocraft resource blocks... there isn't a reliable way to automate putting resource blocks into the scrapper to feed other crafters. And while I could ask for something to automate getting resource blocks turned back into resources automatically, surely I'd be better off asking for something that makes that need much less usfull?

9. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

Even if i don't use silo i'm never against some additional GC block.

10. Mr-Vagabond

Mr-Vagabond Well-Known Member
    TT Translator

I dont understand that.... You want a way to automaticaly scrappe the ressource block ? But why ? When you have one, you just need to click on it and click on the scrapper, that not too much of a burden...I am lost there..

11. Anton

Anton PAYLOAD STUDIOS

We actually have a GC Silo model ready but never managed to implement into the game. upload_2018-7-2_11-4-0.png
    As you can see it is 2 units high and the resource holder pads are a lot higher compared to the GSO silos, so that's why it doesn't work with the GSO conveyors. Of course, we could have made it work same as the GSO one but we wanted this silo and the whole GC conveyor system to be different to GSO or VEN so we had to postpone it and focus on the conveyor system first. And again, we've encountered a bunch of issues and in the end decided to postpone the whole thing. It was getting too complicated. And now coders are extremely busy with fixing bugs so I'm kind of scared suggesting adding new stuff to the game. New stuff always brings new bugs. Coders will hate me.

12. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

Hum interesting , it's not in the game at all or it's here and we can't have it ? (like Mick Head and old GC boss cab) ?

13. Gayvid`

Gayvid` Yes, I'm a well-known member

You guys should consider hiring more coders, it won't be easy but will help. Having them will make game development faster.

14. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

except for the time it take for the new coders to familiarize with the code before they can actually produce new/fixed code

15. Deutsche Würfel

Deutsche Würfel I look good in this dress.

hire 50 new coders, and all problems will go away. But do thery have the money for that?
    No. They do not.

16. Lost Ninja

I'm unsure what is so hard to understand, I want to see a block that replaces (or adds to) the existing silo that doesn't require user interaction to store lots of resources without lag. Yes your method can work but it's a work round not a direct replacement.

TBH I'm unsure why you're arguing against it it wouldn't be like you had to use it even if they added something like that

17. Khaine

Khaine Well-Known Member

You're asking for a block that would suddenly generate dozens of new entities in an instant as it enters the silo. Or that has a counter and gets chipped away as bits of it leave the silo. Or that enters the component factory and sits in there feeding it, a la scrapper.

Two of those options don't have a counterpart in-game, which means developing entirely new ways to code them into the game. Which... the devs don't seem too keen in.

The scrapper+block logic could work for a component factory+block logic, but it seems to me like you just want to flip the rules on their head for ease's sakes. There are perfectly functional alternative ways to have alot of resources on tap for crafting while minimizing rendered resources.

Yes, we wouldn't have to use it. But if devs spend time developing this, then they don't spend time developing something else that more people might actually need and use. Like a damn delete button on the snapshots. Or putting an end to killer trees.

18. Zorgomol

Zorgomol Not a Number

You might be familiar with the saying, 'Nine women can't make a baby in a month.'

DrShadox likes this.
  19. Khaine

Khaine Well-Known Member

But but but... maths!

20. Deutsche Würfel

Deutsche Würfel I look good in this dress.

Bit they can make 9 babies in nine months. And it averages out. Also, you might want to reread my post, more closely. You seem to have missed something.