GeoCorp auto miner placement

layer1

Jun 14, 2017
They've proven to be so difficult to place properly that I moved back to a 4x GSO miner setup, which is much easier to get working reliably (as long as it's not on a hill.)

Dragging and dropping the GC miner works well enough, but I want to drop a tech with shields, batteries, refinery/fab etc., and that's where I'm having problems.

I've made sure that no other blocks on the tech (eg solar arrays) can anchor. Even just a cab + GC miner can take minutes to get working, or never if I'm unlucky.

The visible seam doesn't seem to be accurate either. 4x GSO techs have an inherent indicator of where it actually is: If the left two miners are stopped and the right two are working, strafe right a bit and re-anchor. Whereas GC miners are either working or not. Some kind of visual indicator in build mode that shows if you're over a seam would be really helpful.

Am I missing something?

totally anonymous

Anonymous account for anonymous suggestion spammin
Feb 10, 2021
In an anonymous world of anonymous
I do agree. the concept of the Geocorp miner was a good idea, but I really think that the placement should be better. At the very least, add an indicator to tell if the miner is on the seam correctly. Also, payload really needs to add something to help with mining on steep hills.

Reactions: layer1

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
I actually think that there may be some sort of collider issue here. I was having the same problem with resource veins and GC collectors. It seems that the optimal conditions for placing a GC collector are on flat terrain, as GC collectors I placed in salt flats and valleys functioned just fine. But as soon as I tried placing it in grassy plains, I can’t ever get it to work.

Reactions: layer1

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
Which is sad, really, cause they shouldn’t be obsolete (I mean, we’re talking GC here, master harvesters).

What would be a pretty good fix for this issue would be to code autominers so that when you are placing one, it automatically binds to a nearby exposed vein. But anchored blocks don’t bind to anything on terrain at this time so I don’t know how one would go about executing such a fix.

Reactions: layer1 and Zonko