Gasbag boyancy blocks

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
Aug 15, 2018
Somewhere in Seattle Washington.
A set of Blocks that deploy either a Spheroidal Gasbag, or an ovoid gasbag that can have a Hitbox that is 8 - 64 time the size of the attaching block These would provide a standard amount of lift depending on size. they will always rise to be above the Center of gravity Averaging out fro multiple bags varying on placement.
This way we can build Classic airships that do not need Anti-gravity to drain power, nor wings to stay aloft.

Without enough "weight" or an anchor these will continue upward on till they reach the limits of the Atmosphere. Without propulsion they may shift latterally at random.

Reactions: eddie and Sokolov

Rafs

Director-General of GreenTech
Apr 4, 2019
I'd rather have a gradient of lift in accordance to height, with different gradients for different versions of the floater.
The atmosphere is a continuous gradient of decreasing density, so it makes no sense to have the floater stop at a single height; this is an overly simplistic implementation and inferior to the modded floaters me and whitepaw made. I highly suggest checking them out, that's the best design we could think of and it has proven to work with great flexibility in passive height adjustment for all kinds of techs.

You can check them out here: https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/rafs-custom-blocks-and-skins.20154/post-142297.
None of them are soft bags as the game lacks the physics for block deformation so it would feel strange; balloons usually deform when pressed against. So I made hardy tanks instead, and there are also dynamic ballast tanks that give increasing downforce the higher you go. You can do all kinds of buyoancy manipulation and use ballasts and floaters to adjust a passive rotation of the tech on air (like the trim gyro).

Kevin Vanderhoef

Aug 15, 2018
I know that they are simplistic. I wanted something that was easy enough to build with a simple to implement lift to weight ratio, for basic lighter than air flight. I didn know that we had a graduated Atmosphere to begin with.

Rafs

Director-General of GreenTech
Apr 4, 2019
We don't, but you can code the floater block to act like such. It's not that complicated, you just need an equation that relates lift with height, with a minimum height where it has max lift, and a height where it reaches 0 lift. Then just have the lift vary linearly between these limits.

Kevin Vanderhoef

Aug 15, 2018
Basic equasion being currentlift = maxlift * (1-(maxaltitud / currentaltitude)^2) **\ Inverted parabolic where Maxaltitude/ Currentaltitude=1
Where:
maxlift = liftfactor * (1- (maxload / techweight)) **\If your tech's weight is equal to your max lift your not going up.​
maxaltitude = atmospherelimit​
currentaltitude is altitude of the average center of all gasbags on the tech. Because at max altitude your Gasbags are generating zero lift, in relation to your tech.​

In theory this would mean that you could still reach the top of the atmosphere.
While in reality, at some point your tech's weight will be more than the current lift of your craft.