Flying multi-tech experiment

Discussion in 'Techs' started by -=ROOSTER=-, Aug 6, 2018.

1. -=ROOSTER=-

-=ROOSTER=- The Pebble in your Shoe

Hi all, I was messing around in R&D today, and managed to get a pair of planes hinged together with a small bearing and axle to fly. When it became airborne the flight controls wouldn't function, but if I kept pressing forward the the engines would still push forward and make it climb. So I realized that the bearing was making flight control stop whenever was pressure on it. I then decided to "hover bug it" and get rid of flight controls all together. But then came the problem of losing the ability to control pitch. To deal with that I threw a couple of small hawkeye chopper blades on to at least give me a little help to bring the front up if I needed it. Although I wouldn't call it a success, I did get it to fly. Anyways, I wasn't sure if anyone else had tried it or not, and just thought the info might be found useful, or give someone a new idea for a build. I will now attempt to post a few pics I took. [​IMG] This was my first attempt with ball & socket. [​IMG] Here's the second attempt setup.[​IMG] [​IMG] Well that's it. I hope someone finds this useful, or at least interesting. :) Thanks for reading. -Rooster

2. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

So, a tech touching another tech is classed as grounded? Retaining the ground control system, same as using the hover-bug...?

That's interesting and new, I think... At least since the days of flying trains, like this:

Galrex likes this.
  3. -=ROOSTER=-

Huh, I guess I wasn't the first to try it. If I had to guess I would think that the it being such "loose" joint the way they did it there would not be the same as the bearing & axle joint. They seem to have their own set of problems. LOL The flight controls would actually kick in every once in a while just for a split second when the pressure on the bearing & axle was least it seemed like. You know what? We may have just found an alternative to the hover bug to get ground control. We need to do some more testing.

#3 -=ROOSTER=-, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  4. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

I think this is caused by the fix from the devs, where techs with no wheels on top of another tech can build beam (before, they couldn't do that).

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  5. -=ROOSTER=-

I just went back in to mess around with it a little, and two really strange things happened. First, the two techs were re-connected- they were apart when left. Second, when I hit shift (and I just tapped it once) they took off straight up into the sky for about 300 ft then straight down and hit nose first, sending pieces everywhere. Never seen that before. Maybe my key is sticking or something.

6. ZeroGravitas

o_O Whaaa....?! I think you need to be recording everything you do, just in case anything else unprecedented happens... (E.g. "Instant Replay" with Nvidea GeForce.)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. (And welcome back, Quack.:))

7. Sdarks

Sdarks PAYLOAD STUDIOS

I did some work on tech grounding a little while ago to try and fix a few oddities for example if you had a tech with no wheels on top of another tech it thought it was flying and wouldn't let you enter build beam. It also meant you couldn't build for example a runway out of blocks and then have a plane take off from it (it would just think it's flying from the start). If you find anything that feels wrong (e.g flying techs not having flying controls when they should) drop me a save or a snapshot and I'll take a look. I tried a lot of combinations of techs and weird situations I could think of while testing but I'm sure I missed something weird like you have above.

AstraTheDragon and ZeroGravitas like this.
  8. ZeroGravitas

This may be outside of that purview, but what about the lack of build beam elevation when your tech is on a Venture ramp (or an allied tech, I think, too)?

[​IMG]

E.g. tech goes to build beam, can move around but wheels still touch the surface below. Can be more problematic in other situations.

9. Sdarks

Sdarks PAYLOAD STUDIOS

That one I'm not sure on, it seemed fine when I was testing with build beam on top of allied techs. That's a completely different thing though, I just looked at making sure flight controls and entering build beam work as expected instead of "it works like this except in these weird cases".

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  10. ZeroGravitas

It looks the same to me (no separation):

[​IMG]

Test save attached.

Sorry to hijack your thread, @-=ROOSTER=- ;)

Attached Files:

11. -=ROOSTER=-

Nothing to be sorry about. The whole point of this thread was to get people to share info so we can learn from it, and I we can help the Dev's with something in the process that's just a bonus.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  12. Sdarks

Sdarks PAYLOAD STUDIOS

@ZeroGravitas I've added your issue to our system, I don't think it's related to my changes though, just easier to see now that it's easier to build beam on top of other techs.