Filter Resource Receiver

Jul 2, 2018
There should be a "Filter Resource Receiver" It's a resource receiver bet has a filter function just like the filter conveyor. But it is in all corporations and sizes (so geocorp, venture, gso)!

Because that would make it easier for collecting resource that will be filtered out by filter conveyor (and the items that aren't the resource in the filter conveyor won't take up space, because the "Filter Resource Receiver" won't pick them up at all!

P.s. This is a example of exactly what I mean by "Filter Resource Receiver" GSO Receiver it would be on of those but with the filter conveyor's filtering mechanic in/on it.

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
Yorkshire Dales under a rock.
Half of me says "Yeah that would be useful" the other half says "dumbing down the game"...

I'd much prefer better filters than a filtered receiver. You can make a pickup system that either filters out and drops or sells undesirable resources, which certainly takes up more space than just a receiver but where is the fun in that?

Khaine

May 29, 2018
I've suggested adding filters to pretty much everything before. Scrappers would not longer accidentally snatch up your loose megatons, resource receivers would no longer snatch up resources that you actually wanted to place elsewhere or grab wood that clogs up your assembly line. Or maybe you don't want your resource collectors to pick up wood. It really would be extremely beneficial and the code's already in place.

Filters have their place and I love them, but they're more of a "middle" tool. They alter the flow within the assembly line, but they can't stop unwanted materials from flowing into the assembly line process.

Scrappers and resource receivers would be the main beneficiaries of this change, because you can't put a filter to control them before they suck things up. So the only option is to put a filter IN them.

Khaine

May 29, 2018
It is? Interesting. Regardless, I would like some level of control over what gets sucked into the recycler and what doesn't.

In my current setup I have the main conveyor belt going north -> south, to the fabricators and component factories. To the east I have a bunch of scrappers and 1x1 silos that feed the conveyor line (let's call those the feeders). And up north and at the start of the conveyor belt I have the "scrap and refine anyting and everything" scrappers (let's call those the grinders).

I had to push the grinders to the northwest because far too often the northernmost feeders would snatch up stuff that was intended for the grinders. It then reprocessed said stuff, keeping the resulting resources within the scrapper like a time bomb, since my 1x1 silos only carry one type of ore. Which is highly disruptive for production purposes.

If the feeder scrappers had filters on them then my base could be alot more compact and accident proof.

PS: Yes, I could use 2x2 silos and fix that problem. Or I could do what I did and move the grinders further away. Or I could ask for a new part that gives me better control over what goes where and requires pretty much minimal coding.

PPS: Doesn't even need to be a new part, just add filter capabilities to already existing parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Zarnox

Gayvid`

Yes, I'm a well-known member
Sep 12, 2015
There should be a "Filter Resource Receiver" It's a resource receiver bet has a filter function just like the filter conveyor. But it is in all corporations and sizes (so geocorp, venture, gso)!

Because that would make it easier for collecting resource that will be filtered out by filter conveyor (and the items that aren't the resource in the filter conveyor won't take up space, because the "Filter Resource Receiver" won't pick them up at all!

P.s. This is a example of exactly what I mean by "Filter Resource Receiver" GSO Receiver it would be on of those but with the filter conveyor's filtering mechanic in/on it.
I just sell resources i don't need, that should be enough?

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
I just sell resources i don't need, that should be enough?
Same and you might expect it to be not really worthwhile especially by the time you have mobile resource cannons/generators but it nets a significant amount of money. I currently don't harvest anything specific just crash through stuff and keep my huge tech's batteries mostly topped up and have enough cash from selling non-fuel resources to buy the odd part to replace what gets destroyed through normal wear and tear.

And even then if you plan correctly you can just have filters to dump unwanted resources off your silos/tractor pads and use droppers (well away from receivers OFC) to dump them back onto the ground.

Khaine

May 29, 2018
But I don't want them in the conveyor line to begin with! I don't want my celestine to get sold on account of my load game shaking the silos up and the drops running rampant down the conveyor and into the maw of the matrioshka that's waiting at the end of the assembly line. There is a multitude of examples where defining what can and can't go where is a good thing.

Better customization and control is a good thing. Especially if the code is already done and it's straightforward to implement.

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
Especially if the code is already done and it's straightforward to implement.
And is it?

Going on the changes that have been made to Crafting over the years it is entirely possible that the code used in filters (or receivers) is a bodge to get around some pre-existing "bug". So unless you know for a fact that it's something they can do easily (and not in the "I'm a coder and I'd be able to do it" way either), and if it is something you can do easily get modding... ;)

I don't think it's especially needed, it's a QoL item and as such think there are far more useful (and needed) things that need adding/fixing first.

Khaine

May 29, 2018
And is it?

Going on the changes that have been made to Crafting over the years it is entirely possible that the code used in filters (or receivers) is a bodge to get around some pre-existing "bug". So unless you know for a fact that it's something they can do easily (and not in the "I'm a coder and I'd be able to do it" way either), and if it is something you can do easily get modding... ;)
It's something that is already fully fleshed out elsewhere and can therefore be copy/pasted onto another item. It affects what is allowed to enter the scrapper (for example), not what the scrapper actually does with it once it's inside. So there's not even conflicting code to speak of. I'm sure @WhitePaw2002 can weight in on how hard/easy it would be to code this in, for argument's sakes.

They're not reinventing the wheel with this, just slapping a new hubcap on it.

I don't think it's especially needed, it's a QoL item and as such think there are far more useful (and needed) things that need adding/fixing first.
Yes, like 300 ore capacity oversized silos... :rolleyes:

WhitePaw2002

Aceba1
Jan 7, 2016
North-east America
github.com
I'm sure @WhitePaw2002 can weight in on how hard/easy it would be to code this in, for argument's sakes.
That's strange, I didn't get an alert for that.

I'm getting feelings that I am not at a good spot with the devs right now, and I don't really want them to hate me more than they already might.

insert-regret

Depending on if they'd want to do it, it should be easier than making the filter block itself. Just use the existent code for the receiver and push an optionable if-branch for every pickup using a set filter type as an equality parameter. If they don't, then they most likely won't do it.

Shouldn't be a common thing to have. Probably an EXP block with a smaller radius or such.

The devs are probably really, really busy, and wouldn't like a bother saying they are capable of doing more than they are doing at the moment. And I can't speak for the devs, either...

Khaine

May 29, 2018
No biggie, devs implement what they want based on.. reasons :p

Just wanted an opinion from a coding/modder perspective if it was something that seemed easy to implement.