Factory Tester needed.

Built a test factory but the top layer of fabs don't seem to want to take the resources from the silo's for some reason, no idea why as to me the conveyors seem to be running right for them to take the resources. Figured out you can stack two fabs upside down with the tech dongles as columns between them and they both access the 4 tiers of tech in each fab so one set of dongles can work two fab plants. Seen one build with them between two sitting side by side but thought it'd be interesting to build a vertical fab plant instead of horizontal but struggling to get it to take the blocks so any help in figuring out why would be appreciated. Sorry for the dark pic, took the snapshot in night mode (in game).

I have other tech I'll be posting once this ones sorted out, mainly flyers and tanks and a sentry tower.

Attachments

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
Hey there,
It seems that in the construction of your base, you've made a few assumptions about the behaviour of conveyor belts (and their connections) which are incorrect.
1567956863424.png You are quite right that feeding lines into each other works perfectly, chunks will all pass through the receiving line.
However...
1567957809521.png Lines leading out of each other don't work. The chunks have no reason to deviate away from the logical continuation of their route, so they don't, Hence this silo and delivery cannon will never receive any chunks with this setup.

1567958325544.png Likewise crafting AI (the logic that decides where stuff should come from and that tells it to go somewhere else) can't understand lines leading out of each other and won't call chunks through them. Hence, the component factories will never receive chunks (except for the one below the arrow, because one of its nodes can pull from the main conveyor line, perhaps that's what suggested to you that the bottom component factories could call resources?) To solve this, imagine the message calling for chunks going backwards through the conveyor line, if you hit a dodgy connection, the message won't reach the silos the chunks are in to tell them to send the chunks.

1567958868250.png Through this modification, all component factories can now call chunks, since there's no dodgy connections between them and the silos (although regretfully at the cost of fabrication speed for blocks not requiring components, though the effects of this could be mitigated by reducing the distance traveled from silo to fabricator.)

I was interested by your component factory setup though, I hadn't known before that dongles could be used in that way!

Keep interested in crafting, experimentation and experience leads to great base building :D

AstraTheDragon thanks for the suggestions, they've now been implemented and a few more modifications made to the design (including removing a second scrapper that should have been a fabricator, moving the launcher and adding two trays to feed & store excess blocks when the other trays are full of their materials. Added a component tray to feed back into the system to create more complex parts and feed to the fabricators as well.

Only thing is you have to manually put components on the conveyor so they feed to the launcher if you decide to sell the part.

I've added the original factory layout I took this design from and made it more compact as the original took a lot of space and was spread out more. I had the same problem with the 3d fabricator layout though and sometimes had to manually craft parts to make more complex items as it'd stick in a loop just feeding the materials around in a circle and not taking them into the fabricator (the refinery file).

Thanks again for the help sorting this out it was getting frustrating :)

Attachments

For anyone else interested here's a snap of the factory design using 3 dongles and two factories off the one set of dongles, this allows 3d factory structures which I've been working on with help. Would like to incorporate other designs into it as well, like stacked storage for instance:

Attachments

Messing around and found this out, quite interesting and maybe able to reduce the factory footprint considerably by stacking the storage silo's of raw materials. The vertical silo's stack their own resources and they show through the other silo's in the chain. Could potentially hit the framerate considerably with the amount of resources contained in them. It's only a concept so will only take a few raw materials for now until it's expanded upon but it gives an idea of a complex delivery system and demo's twisted conveyors instead of straight ones. Definitely needs to be anchored though or any stuck material will push the whole structure in a direction :) LOL Give it a try, multiple material on the collector and see how it works, with the end silo's just add a few materials manually just jelly and fibrewood though and see how it stores them and stacks them in multiple directions. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Attachments

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey, so thanks for fielding this @AstraTheDragon. And good job experimenting and figuring crafting out yourself, @Bazzietuk.:)

There's a few issues with your later builds you uploaded, too:

"factory Test 3.png" - the Fabricators can't call for any components or silos (other than the 3x3 Lotsa Silo). You're probably aware that they need an unbroken conveyor line and can't call through Silos as a connection? If you set a Fabricator to try to make anything, you'll be able to see which other crafting blocks it can 'see', as they will have that little intermittent white lightening flash on them.

"Refinery.png" - This has the 2 second hang issue (when starting fabrication or editing the tech while fabricating). That's because you have a lot of component factories on a (long) loop - the AI counts them multiple times and the combinatorial explosion of possible routes takes a *lot* of calculating. Generally I avoid loops or keep the CFs down to 6 or lower, to avoid this.

It might be necessary to add a refinery directly on the main fabrication line if you do reduce the number of CFs, to avoid a bug with exotic components failing.

You also have some conveyor splits in the complex loop that won't function, as Astra explained already.

Definitely needs to be anchored though or any stuck material will push the whole structure in a direction :) LOL
Yup, silo stacking on fixed anchors is pretty powerful in it's compactness, if making it harder to see what's going on and preventing you from picking the base up in build beam. (Incidedntally, I strongly recommend adding a cab to you bases. It'll help with more easily working on the design, by build beaming and right clicking the part you want to focus camera on.)

You can stack silos 2 high with mobile techs, without much trouble.

Anyway, if you get stuck on the bugs, or want more detailed info, you can check my crafting guide on steam.

Thanks for the input ZeroGravitas. With all that in mind I'm definitely not sure how these two new factories will fare then :) LOL Haven't done the double layer fabs on one of them but added stacked storage on one to make it more compact and 3 dimensional so it takes up a lot less space to deploy but has everything needed (fabs, scrapper, launcher, silo's, refinery etc). Probably going to fail catastrophically but have a look and post comments or alterations etc. Thanks again everyone.

I should mention the vertical refinery has the factories on the back of it :)

Attachments

Okay ignore the last post they didn't seem to work at all. Seems this one doesn't either, it doesn't call on the factories to make items and if you make it manually it seems to just do a circuit of the 6 storage pods and not go to the fab plant that needs it. It did the first try but the second attempt on the same fabricator doing the same item yielded no results and it refused to take the manually fabricated part from the pads. Odd. All the other systems seem to work though, the storage release/return routes, scrappers, refinery. Just not the manufacturing side of it.

The next step once it's working is to add repair bubbles, shields, batteries and solar chargers to power them.

Attachments

Last edited:
Think I have the 3D factory nearly complete, this new one manufacturs a cruise missile with only really needing one part manually fabricated, the rest seem to work okay just no idea why it won't auto make the last parts needed. This one includes scrappers from all techs, refineries from all techs, manufacturer plants from all tech and fabs in a six layer format with vertical material silo and two component silo's as well. The tech layout filters but not managed to get the extra materials to return to the silo stack though so they end up in the tech silo unfortunately. But with help we can solve this and get a small footprint factory setup working :) Any help appreciated.

Attachments

This one seems to be able to make a cruise missile with no help, although it does suffer from the resource bug (calling too many resources and seems to make a spare component in the manufacture process as well) but it doesn't seem to require any input to make parts though which is a bonus. Any mods to it to refine the process (return the unused materials to the silo's and prevent it making the spare part) would be appreciated, post the mods if you can help please :)

Attachments