Fabrication Help

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Without seeing a screenshot (.jpg) of your fabrication base or perhaps a snapshot (the camera button located in the bottom left of the gameplay screen while you are within a cab thats on the base itself) it is difficult to provide specific help.

Generally speaking, if resource chunks are stored on silo pads which are connected properly to fabricators of any or all of the corporations only one refinery is needed in order to refine select raw materials into specific ingredients needed for the fabrication of a block as needed to fulfill the request of the fabricator.

Could you provide more information? A more detailed explanation of your crafting goals alongside a screenshot would be quite helpful in this instance.

Sharra

Apr 7, 2017
The system always uses the last availlabe refinery before the fabrication-unit of any kind. But if you have an ongoing production (the small antennas are lighted up), no spare ressources are refined, because the refinerys are already "busy". In your last screenshot @diamondknife, i would suggest to put a silo after the hawkeye fab, than attach a refinery, green side attached to the silo, red side to the canon. That way no unrefined chunks will get past it.

Reactions: diamondnife and Zed

Zed

Dec 23, 2016

How can I get both of them to work at the same time so extra raw resources don't get sold?
While the pulsing Orb is working the fabricator is calling the shots and will refine resources as appropriate, requesting that the refinery nearest to it (along the path of travel of the conveyor belts) will refine as needed.

Regarding getting them not to sell the resources that is one of the few temporary shortfalls of the terratech crafting system. Typically, Factories are Either Selling bases where collected / scrapped assets are refined and sold via delivery cannon OR a crafting base.

It is not impossible to create one base capable of swapping back and forth between the two tasks; however it is far easier and more practical to have separate bases serving the two very different roles. That said, I did make an anchored tech which is capable of swapping between the two by using some silos and redundant filter conveyors which with a few right clicks has the base convert from fabrication to being able to empty itself entirely and sell its contents when block bucks are needed which is located here: https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/zeds-tech-zoo.9126/page-2#post-62348

The base depicted above uses a combination of "looping back" with the various filter conveyors to permit the base to swap functionality from fabricating to selling but is far from perfect; while it is capable of fabricating any block with the proper resources it has fairly limited storage capacity and only divides the resources generally by type as opposed to having a storage silo for each individual resource type as is common in many fully featured bases.

Hopefully this information will be helpful towards the successful completion of your crafting goals. :)

Chrii_the_Vieh

Oct 26, 2015
Germland Institute in Scotmany
You have some nice explanations already, but let me add this:

If you want your crafting base to use more than one refinery, you either have to prerefine resources or use several conveyorlines feeding your fabricator.

Prerefining resources:
This is a common tactics, where you set up a storing system, which either only stores refined resources (as you mainly need those to craft the rare-blocks that most players intend to craft) or separates n equal amount of each resource to be stored refined and unrefined. While first can be used for very compact and fast crafting-bases, second can only be realized with complex and often bulky conveyorsystems.
This is an example of a compact craftingbase using the method of prerefining and two refineries through an alternator:
CraftitallV7.png

Separating your lines:
This technique is good to build really fast working crafters. You use the logic of crafting to predetermine the lines, which are used by the fabricator to "order" parts. The downside of this system is correlated to the compexity of crafting. All bases I built that far did only work for several types of blocks, but not for all blocks in the game and have a tendency to stall themselves.
Here is an example of a base, which is designed to build Springer-Wheels very fast:
6thSpeedyCraftV2.png

If you only want to make money fast, one of the most compact, while very fast selling systems I've built still works pretty fine (it is far from beeing most efficient in money generation though, as it only scraps and sells everything):
MinEfoMaxEfiV3.png

I hope I can inspire your basebuilding with those builds and are very interested to see your designs.
Feel free to contact me with questions or for help if you need it.

Reactions: Zed