Explosive Bolts Techs - We Need Your Help!

Discussion in 'Techs' started by Matt, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Matt

Matt PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Hi Everyone!

We're currently working on giving the enemy population the ability to use Explosive Bolts when they engage with the player - so we need some new Tech designs!

We need them to fit the following criteria in order to get them spawning at the correct part of the game:

They have to be GSO only - no hybrids!
    They have to use level 4 blocks or lower.
    The only level 5 blocks can be the explosive bolts.

Post your snapshots below and we'll pick the best ones on our live stream on the 28th Aug.

2. Baconus_Yum

Baconus_Yum Administrator

Is there any limit to how many techs we can post?

Galrex and AstraTheDragon like this.
  3. Galrex

Galrex Possibilist

Is there a limit to how large we can build?

Wow cool! :) so the enemies will eventually be able to use the [X] key in game?.. or probably some other game mechanics idk.

4. Matt

Matt PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Nope.
    Nope.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  5. Matt

Matt PAYLOAD STUDIOS

JimmyBlether and Galrex like this.
  6. Baconus_Yum

Baconus_Yum Administrator

I am going to start off the thread with three techs:
    The Squad: A Grade 2 tech consisting of 4 smaller grade 1 techs (Bolt is the only thing that is grade 2).
    The Squad.png

Gemini: A Grade 4 pair of twins:
    Gemini.png

Tony Swarm: A Grade 4 tech that literally has a bunch of Big Tony attached to it. IDK why I made this.
    Tony Swarm.png

-Baconus

7. xXThunderFlameXx

xXThunderFlameXx Aircraft Enthusiast

Yeah it really depends what you want to accomplish here, you either want to have a main tech that detaches guardian mobile techs or turrets, or just something that uses the bolts to eject an escape pod, but since we are working with GSO only and max at grade 4, its not much we can do. Either way here are some things I came up with on the spot:
    One man biker gang, spawns two medium techs with batteries, shields and repair bubbles.
    One man biker gang.png
    Turretcaster, spawns two turrets, can charge themselves and have wireless chargers to support each other, and even other friendly techs around
    Turretcaster.png

8. Mello1000

Mello1000 Member

i've built something
    explosive bolt tech5.png

Aardvark123 and JimmyBlether like this.
  9. AstraTheDragon

AstraTheDragon A dapper dragon

@Matt are you able to reveal when enemy techs split? Might it be as soon as they load in? As soon as they can attack the player? Randomly during combat? This would be useful to know for me. Thanks. ;)

10. Mello1000

Mello1000 Member

I've made another tech.
    this one will split into 2 basic techs, a turret and a block of carbius.
    the turret will scrap the block and use it as fuel.
    explosive bolt tech7.png

11. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Gosh darn, a stream with interesting content, on the one day I'm up too late to watch live. :p;)

From the wording of this I'd assume it would be when the enemy first starts firing (my emphasis):
    But who knows, that's probably still to be determined. Maybe there will be alternative conditions...?

What I'd like to know is exactly how they will be tested @Matt? Because the friendly AI is a lot 'dumber' than the enemy's, etc. Will there be a prototype mechanism coded in time? (I should probably have watched the stream first... May edit according.)

And it's a shame to exclude hover plates and gyros, as little floating swarm bots are the best! (As seen in the TT release trailer.;))

#11 ZeroGravitas, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  12. ZeroGravitas

I was thinking about this. I think that it's (still) possible to get a turret to anchor down from tech splitting, if you're able to save the snapshot in the right state.... Does yours?

Obviously the resource block won't be scrapped otherwise. I was thinking about this too: it's a shame there's no mobile scrapper, as using resources for fuel would synergies best with mobile techs.

Resources would also be cool for decoration, and/or getting an enemy base to spawn in that's actually stocked with resources, looking like it's in use! If there is an option for activating the explosive blocks on tech spawn, too (and enemy physics wasn't disabled beyond 200m, oops... :().

Aardvark123 and AstraTheDragon like this.
  13. Mello1000

Mello1000 Member

Yes it does.
    When i load it in it is not anchored and when i activate the explosive bolt it will anchor.
    But i have only tested it in the r&d world so i'm not sure how it would work on hilly terrain.
    I saved my tech in unanchored state.

#13 Mello1000, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  14. xXThunderFlameXx

xXThunderFlameXx Aircraft Enthusiast

My entry also has turrets that anchor, but outside of R&D they might be picky with the terrain.

15. Mello1000

Mello1000 Member

I've done some testing when the techs anchor, and it seems that the anchor blocks need to be at a specific height if you want them to anchor when you split techs.

before
    anchoring test.png

after
    anchoring test resul.png

and i also found out that the anchor block won't anchor if the player is controlling that tech after the split.

#15 Mello1000, Aug 17, 2018
  16. ZeroGravitas

Oh tests, nice. Interesting... I thought you could air drop turrets by tech splitting (for some reason).

Edit: note that the AI cab, in that test setup, has to be the primary cab in order for the anchor to deploy. If there is a player cab on there and it was placed first, it won't anchor (even within that very narrow anchoring height range).

#16 ZeroGravitas, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  17. ZeroGravitas

Also, note these bugs with tech splitting:

(1) Enemies seem unable to target the split off enemies (at least sometimes, unless fixed quietly).

(2) Crafting components on the non-primary tech fragment lose all their settings (Filter settings, conveyor directions may even reset) and silos drop their contents. Of course Pacemakers and Fabricator setting aren't stored in snapshots anyway.

Shields, regen bubbles and Solar generators in the splinters are all reset to off, too. Re-powering slowly.

(3)
    The split-off techs retain the grid orientation of the original tech. So if their cab was sideways on the original (pointing at the sky or floor), then they will just pick themselves up in build beam and stay there, thinking that they are on their backs, even when correctly oriented in terms of their only current cab.

#17 ZeroGravitas, Aug 18, 2018
    Aardvark123 likes this.
  18. ZeroGravitas

My preliminary entries:

(A) "Bank of Joe" - 4 Turret Joes (with extra battery capacity) protecting a central battery bank, that each of the turrets deposits excess charge into and will then quickly loan out energy to recharge which ever one comes under fire.

Bolt trigger: upon spawn.

Deliberately designed not to be too overwhelming, in terms of firepower or defence. A decent mid-game tech should be able to deal with this installation.

Needs fairly flat ground to properly deploy. I kept the turrets as close together as possible to make it a likely as possible to anchor, but there would be a lot of terrain it would be unsuitable for, still.

A turret setup is as close as I can imagine getting to Jamie's idea (from Saiwun) of centrally recharged techs... Because without new game code to get mobile techs to return to base, or stay within follow range of a parent tech, mobile techs will quickly leave the effective charging range of the GSO Wireless chargers.

Bank of Joe.png

#18 ZeroGravitas, Aug 18, 2018
    Aardvark123 and Mello1000 like this.
  19. ZeroGravitas

(B) "Companion Cube" - A surprise enemy that can cast off it's outer layer.

Bolt trigger
    : taking damage from player.

This is an old design I've quickly retro-fitted with an explosive bolt (and a couple other tweaks). It was originally intended that the outer layer automatically disintegrate upon being fired at, by destroying a fragile linkage between the whimsical outer design and the mini-tank inside. Although it was virtually impossible to make that work reliably, and I didn't finish it in time to submit it to Com Core (before they stopped, etc).

It originally used a Venture shield bubble, so that the outside could be destroyed, but that's outside of spec, so it would rely on auto-triggering the explosive bolt, instead (for it to show off it's surprise). I might rebuild it a bit bigger, to contain the shield envelope.

Might it be an option to add new game code to make the bolts only deploy once the tech actually takes fire from the player? (As one of several options.) Regardless of how close they come, and after the tech as already tried to 'attack'. (This little cutie likes to follow you around and juggle spare resources.)

Companion Cube 1.png

#19 ZeroGravitas, Aug 18, 2018
  20. Mello1000

Mello1000 Member

didn't know order of placement affected it to, thanks.

Yeah that also happened with my big base in campain had to redo 36 filters.

Aardvark123 and ZeroGravitas like this.