EXP Monster/Titan Wheel Durability (Or lack thereof)

Lurkingdaemon

Heyo,

Really liking the Monster/Titan ball-tire wheel blocks, but I'm noticing an issue with them - namely the lack of durability. For the Monster wheels, ANY accidental impact with a tree or rock, at speed, is enough to damage the wheel to the point where it self-destructs after a few moments, and with the Titan wheels, it only takes 2 such impacts.

While there are ways to mitigate this (healing bubbles), this leaves very little margin for error, and the wheels themselves feel quite weak, durability wise, when under fire as well.

I'd personally prefer a little more durability, or at least less damage done to the wheels when running into resources and rocks - these are big, heavy duty tires, it doesn't feel 'right' for them to be so flimsy.

Potato

Tinkerer of Titäns
This is true for all wheels by the way - if you get a GeoCorp BigBoy Wheel to collide at 60mph+ against a tree, it will explode.

P

Pink Kitty

i think they need to stay weak, to justify their speed/bounciness while carrying lots.

But yes, not as weak as they currently are.

Sir Metaladon

I'd say theyalso need a speed nerf, as currently they feel like and insane all-rounder wheels for uber late-game techs/anyone that wants to make mountains look like small ridges.

The combination of never-before seen clearance and absurd top speed for a wheel means they can conquer basically any terrain...

Since I also think that the Monster is going to Venture and Titan is going to GeoCorp, I think they should be balanced accordingly:

Monster can keep it's speed, but needs a bit more HP to survive and maybe less carrying capacity
As it stands, Venture is in need of a new top-tier wheel, as the Springer is easily outclassed by the Muddy Dog in almost every way (even space effeciency) I feel the Monster in it's current state, with some tweaks, could easily fill that spot of an even more off-road wheel with even more clearance.

Titan needs huge speed nerf + less bouncy, but needs lots of HP and carry capacity.
GC's largest wheel will serve most to the bitter end, but even it's not enough to handle a lot of "uber" techs these days... And if you want to make a mobile refinery of gigantic proportions or a megaton pyramid the size of Giza, you're going to need a bigger (boat, har har) wheel.

P

Pink Kitty

I'd say theyalso need a speed nerf, as currently they feel like and insane all-rounder wheels for uber late-game techs/anyone that wants to make mountains look like small ridges.

The combination of never-before seen clearance and absurd top speed for a wheel means they can conquer basically any terrain...

Since I also think that the Monster is going to Venture and Titan is going to GeoCorp, I think they should be balanced accordingly:

Monster can keep it's speed, but needs a bit more HP to survive and maybe less carrying capacity
As it stands, Venture is in need of a new top-tier wheel, as the Springer is easily outclassed by the Muddy Dog in almost every way (even space effeciency) I feel the Monster in it's current state, with some tweaks, could easily fill that spot of an even more off-road wheel with even more clearance.

Titan needs huge speed nerf + less bouncy, but needs lots of HP and carry capacity.
GC's largest wheel will serve most to the bitter end, but even it's not enough to handle a lot of "uber" techs these days... And if you want to make a mobile refinery of gigantic proportions or a megaton pyramid the size of Giza, you're going to need a bigger (boat, har har) wheel.
I disagree in the strongest possible terms.
Even if the biggest wheels go to GC because big = GC (and i think that is a limited concept) they need to stay fast, bouncy and fragile.

Why? Because we already HAVE big, slow, tough and strong wheels in that corp. Lots of them.
The Titan's only use at the moment, is for making big overland-travelling vehicles that are moderately quick.

They are too high off the ground to make for good mining vehicles.
Too bouncy to make good mining vehicles.
Too big a target to make good combat vehicles.

If they are made tough, slow and yellow, they might as well be a reskin of the big-boy.
And we already have one of those.

Currently, they have a job, even if it's limited.

StyngerKyd

That's my problem with these wheels, and also the reason I only have one tech using them. Once I hit a rock they explode too fast for the healing bubbles to fix, and I end up having to replace it. I don't even use the tech for adventuring, as I usually go through 2 sets of 6 tires every expedition.
TLDR: I agree, please buff the strength of the big EXP wheels.

P

Pink Kitty

That's my problem with these wheels, and also the reason I only have one tech using them. Once I hit a rock they explode too fast for the healing bubbles to fix, and I end up having to replace it. I don't even use the tech for adventuring, as I usually go through 2 sets of 6 tires every expedition.
TLDR: I agree, please buff the strength of the big EXP wheels.
I assume you mean 'tougher?'

Because they are already pretty strong in terms of what they can lift.

I think they need to be fragile, but a little tougher would be good.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
I ripped one off on the remnant of a rock... But I can jump off a mountain and land on 1 wheel, and bounce, with no damage.
Yeah... They can survive a fall at terminal velocity perfectly fine, but only just clipping the edge of the wheel on something can make it start flashing red.

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
Then you remember that the planet is just one big rock (more or less), and you start to question if they actually are doing their job properly.
Yea, but one big rock has a ton of surface area. Running over rocks and such, not as much. You'd imagine that it's poking a hole in the tires or something.

But yea, they could use some more bulk for running into stuff. Venture blocks in general could use that (looking at you front spoiler...).

MrTwister

Fully agree on durability point. Also i have another issue with them - a complete lack of reliable side grip, especially for this size and width of tire - on a loaded tech - any side incline will start you sliding sideways immediately - even the slightest like 3-5 degrees.