Evolution of a tech.

Discussion in 'Techs' started by Byrnyar, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Byrnyar

Byrnyar Member

Like many of you, I usually arrive at my best ideas by complete accident.

Spend a lot of time purpose-building something you think is "good", and it ends up being blown away by something you shouldn't have lost to in the first place.

Furious at having my build reduced to tiny bits pelting out of the sky like raindrops... by some scrubby little tech that just dropped out of the sky (and no way to get it back because I was dead broke) I just threw together any old junk I had laying around and made some Franken-tech piece of crap that was cheap to build and easy to replace...

This was the result:

screen6.jpg

This poor junkpile served me well and - of course - I had to make it Mo' Bettah with extra fuel, shields, more guns, faster, etc...

screen7.jpg

More to come...

JimmyBlether and ZeroGravitas like this.
  2. Byrnyar

Byrnyar Member

Your tech gets blown away a couple times, so you rebuy it (because you're too lazy to design a new one and besides, you want to dish some Payback to that tech that just killed you NOW!)...

But, you realize you can't do that forever - you're running out of cash - so you rebuild it... sort of... and make it more survivable, faster, with better firepower, etc.

screen9.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Byrnyar

Byrnyar Member

And after driving around with that for awhile, you realize it's actually a not-crappy design. It punches way above it's weight class. It's fast. Really fast. It is even capable of limited flight. Which comes in handy in rough terrain - you just boost/fly over crevasses, trees, rocks - even enemies.

But, you're getting tired of congratulating yourself on how awesome you are - usually around the same time you run into something really big and nasty. While you eat a nice heapin' helpin' of crow, you decide to perform a complete ground-up rebuild to see what it can really accomplish.

screen10.jpg

MrTwister and JimmyBlether like this.
  4. Byrnyar

Byrnyar Member

After a few tweaks, you arrive at the final incarnation of your Super Cheese Death Machine Version Whatever that just OWNS everything! In fact, you are shocked - SHOCKED, I TELL YOU! - that you haven't been tapped by the guys who run DARPA to ramrod a push for next-generation real world battle machines...

Of course, you promise yourself it's "the last" time you're going to tweak it...
    Because you really don't need to have more booster fuel...
    Or one more missile launcher...
    Or redundant radars...
    Or just a *tiny bit* more shielding...
    Or just *a bit* bigger to fit in that widget...

screen14.jpg

5. MrTwister

MrTwister Well-Known Member

We need to have a pvp when it is added - my tweaked tank vs yours - they are similar sized. :)
    This is an Mk8 version, so you can imagine how many times it was tweaked :D

ACV BlackEagleTnk MK8.png

An by the way it owns truly hard: can yours do similar?

Byrnyar, Soviet_Samuelson and Jaime like this.
  6. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

i like how you hid some of the megatons under armor bits

MrTwister likes this.
  7. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

how did you make them auto-spawn?

8. Byrnyar

Byrnyar Member

It would be interesting. Yeah, I'm up for it. Yours looks like a brawler, while mine is not.

Nice looking rig though - lot of thought went into that, it looks like.

I tried the shielded side-gun thing, but they kept getting knocked off and I got tired of replacing them. You did the same thing I did - discover that tucking weapons back under the vehicle and then armoring above and in front of them works a treat - almost never lose those guns in a fight. Well, okay, once the whole front of the vehicle was blown away and I lost them, but lived to fight another day...