Estimate on the size of blocks

Neon.

Apr 19, 2022
So I decided to try and see what the actual size of a one-block would translate to in real units. Using the game's measurement system, specifically the mission readout, which measures in meters, to the whole, I was able to get an estimate for the size.
Using one of the Crafty Mike missions, as the mission waypoint can be traced to a single block, and the waypoint doesn't move, I was able to conduct a few experiments.
Attempt #1:
terratechblocksize1.jpgterratechblocksize2.jpg
As shown in the first image, the red line denotes the actual distance, from the center of the cab, to the center of Mike's base, the origin of the waypoint, which is about the size of one block. The green line is a reference, showing the length of two blocks. Using the measurement of 1 meter (3.28 ft) that the games gives us, it shows a rough size estimate to start with.
Follow-Up:
terratechblocksize3.jpgterratechblocksize4.jpg
The two images above feature the second attempt of finding out the size of a block, featuring a distance of two blocks between the center of the cab and the waypoint. The mission readout states that this two block distance is equal to 2 meters (6.56 ft), which gives us a pretty good idea of the size of a block.
Conclusion:
Due to the consistent block length readout about of 1 meter (3.28 ft), and due to the block's status as a cube, we can assume that the total size of a single block is around 1x1x1 meters, or 1 meters cubed, which is about 35.29 feet cubed.
Closing Thoughts/Ideas:
Going off of the size estimate, and the average human height of about 1.7 meters, its pretty accurate to assume that the GSO cab featured here would be quite cramped, allowing the person inside to only sit down, forcing them to crouch if they stand up.
Also, since the max size a tech can be is about 64 blocks cubed, it translates to about 64 meters cubed, or 209.97 feet cubed.
Now that I know this, I wonder what it would be like to see a tech in real life. It would probably be quite intimidating, to be honest.

Darvin

TerraTech Arms Dealer
Jun 13, 2020
[REDACTED]
www.youtube.com
The vanilla cabs are unmanned, you're controlling them from orbit. That's why pressing B turns on the build beam and flips you over, instead of some dude coming out of your cab lolz

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
The vanilla cabs are unmanned, you're controlling them from orbit. That's why pressing B turns on the build beam and flips you over, instead of some dude coming out of your cab lolz
So you think hehehehe… honey, I shrunk the… well, everyone!

But yeah, the drone control makes the most sense. Considering the many gruesome ways there are to blow up a cab, I’d hate to be inside one on the losing side of a battle.

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
Mean while the HE bunker cab mentions Air Conditioning for a driver inside it of biological nature. COUGH COUGH
And GC Cabs in description acting like management towers inside a cave mine with spotlights that shine down onto the miners for overseers and managers to overlook from except... as a cab..
Cabs have windows..
Cabs have internal interfaces in description...
I don't buy it and never will.

By the way, I actually managed to find this out in a much simpler way. I went to the flattest and most horizontally aligned area of a salt flats, equipped an altimeter, took initial altitude, added a block under the cab which raised it's height by 1 block, and has caused an increase in altimeter reading by 3 ft (why, THE, HELL! IS ALTIMITER IN FEET AND DISTANCE IN METERS?! STILL!!!?!?!) which proved that 1 block is 3 ft or approximately 1 meter. I also have awareness that Unity is scaled in meters, with a 1x1x1 area/region or a "unit of 1" always referring to meters. This is why trees, cliffs, hills, and everything else are so disproportionate. The scaling of the game is tiny as going to-scale would mean absurdly large models with absurd performance cost as the techs are applied to the 1 unit scaling of unit which is actually 1 cubic meter in rendering/simulation so if a "1" is that large, then you would need very big models to create applicable scaling for larger objects.

A single block will be about a good bit over half the height of an average human adult. This means that techs like Tony in TT are literal toys for something like Battle Bots XL and if you build large enough with blocks like the HE tank treads, they can be accurate size to modern vehicles though the weapon size in proportion to this scaling makes no sense at all. This also means the GSO Machine Gun is a weapon so utterly pathetic that comparing it to a hand pistol is like comparing a rock made of sand to a nuclear ICBM missile that can travel to the other side of the planet and delete a city.

Neon.

Apr 19, 2022
Huh, I always thought that the cabs were operated by a guy on the inside due to the windows present in all of them, which probably wouldn't be necessary if it was remotely controlled.

Darvin

TerraTech Arms Dealer
Jun 13, 2020
[REDACTED]
www.youtube.com
You know why there are no humans involved in TT? Because then the devs can claim that there are no murder in the game, which means they can savely market this game to 8 year olds

And this is where NOVA comes in, with actually manned cabs lolz

2606022068_preview_285920_20210919172356_1.png