Enhanced Building Mechanics

Should we have a click-and-drag building mechanic?

• Yes, PLEASE! Make our lives EASIER!

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No, thanks. I like taking my time.

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Nerf Craft

Sep 6, 2018
The building system in the game currently is very interesting but I find it becoming not only repetitive but also slow when making anything large. So I think there needs to be some additions and tweaks to the building system.

First off, a way to build faster. If a click-and-drag system was added, building would be far faster and far less repetitive compared to what we have now(*click*, *click*, *click*...). I don't know how easily click-and-drag could be implemented but it would make things better.

Second, an easier way to get the right rotation. This is a HUGE problem for me since I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. Getting the right rotation is easy on some blocks but on others it is a PAIN. We NEED an easier way to rotate.

Third, a way to correct mistakes more easily. Right now if you place the wrong block in the wrong spot you have to manually remove it, and either put it somewhere else or have an SCU nearby to suck it up. If we could send individual blocks to the inventory when in build beam then correcting mistakes will be easier.

We NEED an improved building system. So what do you think of this idea?

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
click-and-drag system
Would this mean that you have to hold LMB to pick up a block and hold it, then release to place it? (Or dragging to change orientation...?)

an easier way to get the right rotation
Yeah, absolutely. I know the devs are very aware of this, and some form of improvement to this is on their roadmap. Many other players have suggested changes for this. My own being here: https://forum.terratechgame.com/ind...rientation-controls-simple-predictable.13825/

Reactions: eddie

Nerf Craft

Sep 6, 2018
Would this mean that you have to hold LMB to pick up a block and hold it, then release to place it? (Or dragging to change orientation...?)
By click-and-drag I mean like any 3D modeling software where you hold LMB and move the mouse to define the area you want to fill and release to confirm and place the blocks.

A Friendly Tech

Sep 21, 2018
They really only need one more button. An "axis select" button to pick the axis of rotation. Until that button is pressed, rotation works as it does now, but after pressing it, a visual axis indicator appears and you are allowed to rotate to any orientation, even the blacklisted ones like non-horizontal on the refinery.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Aug 25, 2018
I'd like the ability to build subassemblies. Basically you could save a snapshot as a "subassembly" then load it in like a very large regular block. It would make life so much easier when making large techs with repeating structures.

TheTecher

drl6Mvmzv50RGgoJu+kN6DNQuj5S2I2QWxsbJjyRNys=
Feb 7, 2017
Apex, NC
While I don't agree with the "click and build" mechanic, (I prefer Click and Drag, except on tower defense games.) the other two I'm perfectly fine with.

"Why not, Tech?"

Well, here's some problems I see with this.

Too many misclicks.
What do I mean by this? Well, say you just clicked a block, and you went to place it in that one, singular hole that it perfectly fits i- Oh no! I misplaced it! Well, I can just take that again an- Really?? Just right above it?? Well, this time I'll get it... There we go!
Meanwhile, click and drag, you can just drag it over into that hole, fit it in, no problem. The chances of it just misclicking is a lot less.

Feeling.. weird...
Sure, you can select a block, see it in ghost-form, and click it there, but.. the less effort makes the tech feel half-assed, and more must be added. "This doesn't look right. It was too easy, am I missing something?" And more. And more and more and... Well, you just end up with a giant, weird-looking cube. "This looks way too much... Maybe I should get rid of this.."
Meanwhile, with the effort put in with click-and-drag, you place everything in, see your nice tech and say "Wow, that was a lot of effort, but it pulled off in the end!"

So, tl;dr: Click-and-place is too easy, and makes the tech feel too easy to destroy, and makes it way less accurate.

Random Spaceship

Aussie Booklord
Oct 29, 2018
Australia
I agree with your points, Tech. But I also think that there should be some sort of compromise, like making it only standard building blocks (no weapons, wheels, power blocks, etc.), and making only available mid-late game. I also think it ought to have different controls if it's added (maybe RMB+drag?) and shouldn't replace the normal click-and-drag mechanic.

Reactions: TheTecher

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
I agree that block rotation needs some attention.

One thing to consider is how would these systems work on console? It's why we're reluctant to add too many key binds as they might not work as well on a gamepad.

Seth_Seth

doin stufs
Oct 14, 2017
I dunno
forum.terratechgame.com
I agree that block rotation needs some attention.

One thing to consider is how would these systems work on console? It's why we're reluctant to add too many key binds as they might not work as well on a gamepad.
Why does it feel like console version is limiting the PC version Yeah, block rotation really does need a better system

Reactions: Wassaup