Dynamo generator

FilipG

Does it work in 1.0? is it planned to be released to any corp?

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
I don't think it currently works and if it is added, it will probably go to Venture

I hope the devs can make this block function soon, though a lot of balancing needs to be done first

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
a lot of balancing needs to be done first
Yea I can imagine Megaton bricks spamming these to get a cheap charge. My proposition is that they shouldn't even do anything until you're at 40mph or something like that. The dynamo charger would be amazing though (apart from violating all laws of physics...)

Potato

Tinkerer of Titäns
Yea I can imagine Megaton bricks spamming these to get a cheap charge. My proposition is that they shouldn't even do anything until you're at 40mph or something like that. The dynamo charger would be amazing though (apart from violating all laws of physics...)
I agree with this. But I'm pretty sure someone would break this and build a megaton brick that rushes at you at 80mph while being fully charged. Scary thought, yes?

Lost Ninja

apart from violating all laws of physics...
It wouldn't break any laws of physics that I know of. But it's completely illogical to but a generator on a powered vehicle that uses it's movement to generate power when it'd be far more efficient to just attach it to the engine.

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
It wouldn't break any laws of physics that I know of. But it's completely illogical to but a generator on a powered vehicle that uses it's movement to generate power when it'd be far more efficient to just attach it to the engine.
We'll just think of it as a really small weird looking wind turbine.

I think the dynamo generator isn't that op, depending on the amount of charge it gives, and how that charge amount is determined. If the charge amount was 1 GSO Small Battery(let's say it has "room" for 100 energy) every 10 seconds per dynamo generator, with no increase in power as you go faster, and a .5 decrease in rate with every dynamo generator on a tech, which then increases to .75 decrease in rate once there's 5 dynamos, I think it'd be a bit better. For example of said decreasing system: 1 generator = 10 eps(energy per second), while 2 generators = 12.5 eps, but 3 generators = 22.5 epsI dunno use my calculator thing. My "calculator thing" also rounds, and I don't exactly know how that works. This should be maxed at 10. Trust me...
I made a program which replicates the blue part(which I don't think 100% works, cause I made it...)
I'm unsure what I made this for, because it took me that long to make it, but here it is anyways: Link Txt 101

Last edited:

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org

I think the dynamo generator isn't that op, depending on the amount of charge it gives, and how that charge amount is determined. If the charge amount was 1 GSO Small Battery(let's say it has "room" for 100 energy) every 10 seconds per dynamo generator, with no increase in power as you go faster, and a times .25 decrease in rate with every dynamo generator on a tech, which then increases to .5 decrease in rate once there's 5 dynamos, I think it'd be a bit better. For example of said decreasing system: 1 generator = 10 eps(energy per second), while 2 generators = 12.5 eps, but 3 generators = 22.5 epsI dunno use my calculator thing. My "calculator thing" also rounds, and I don't exactly know how that works. This should be maxed at 10. Trust me...
I made a program which replicates the blue part(which I don't think 100% works, cause I made it...)
I'm unsure what I made this for, because it took me that long to make it, but here it is anyways: Link Txt 101
Actually, I did my maths wrong, and the generator wasn't functioning as it should've according to the "formula." However, it's been fixed now. Hopefully

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
Actually, I did my maths wrong, and the generator wasn't functioning as it should've according to the "formula." However, it's been fixed now. Hopefully
On second thought, it was better before. Math in the first post shall be fixed.
Edit: This thing is going to require way more work than I first thought, so I'm going to be working on this for a while. Yay
Edit #2: It probably works now. That was probably a quite useless activity that will probably never be used. But at least I learned some stuff, gave my brain an exercise, and spent some time.

Last edited:

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org

I think the dynamo generator isn't that op, depending on the amount of charge it gives, and how that charge amount is determined. If the charge amount was 1 GSO Small Battery(let's say it has "room" for 100 energy) every 10 seconds per dynamo generator, with no increase in power as you go faster, and a .5 decrease in rate with every dynamo generator on a tech, which then increases to .75 decrease in rate once there's 5 dynamos, I think it'd be a bit better. For example of said decreasing system: 1 generator = 10 eps(energy per second), while 2 generators = 12.5 eps, but 3 generators = 22.5 epsI dunno use my calculator thing. My "calculator thing" also rounds, and I don't exactly know how that works. This should be maxed at 10. Trust me...
Actually, after reading the dynamo's description, the increase in power would come from going faster, not increasing the amount of generators.

Lost Ninja

Still doesn't make a right lot of sense whichever way you look at it. In a powered vehicle you'd nearly always be better off using the kinetic/chemical energy of the power source to generate electricity than to increase drag by using friction (in effect) to make electricity.

If they want a cool solution to generate power on the move without OP solar, then I can think of a number of other solutions that would be just as cool but much more logical, even if no more realistic.

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
Still doesn't make a right lot of sense whichever way you look at it. In a powered vehicle you'd nearly always be better off using the kinetic/chemical energy of the power source to generate electricity than to increase drag by using friction (in effect) to make electricity.

If they want a cool solution to generate power on the move without OP solar, then I can think of a number of other solutions that would be just as cool but much more logical, even if no more realistic.
Who cares about making sense? It's a video game after all. We have freaking hover plates for all logic's danged sense!!!

Lost Ninja

Pretty much all the other non-realistic features are things that we cannot do, so we can take a level of artistic license to. They work that way because the game says that's the way they work and we have no real world example to look at to see if it's a realistic interpretation. A dynamo generator is a real world item shoehorned into a "sci-fi" game that wouldn't work in the way it would work in the real world. They'd be far better off calling it a magnetic resonance generator that makes power by interacting with the planets magnetic field and the fast you go the more it makes... (or whatever). Dynamo generator is fine for a push-bike or pedal car, but entirely pointless on anything that can generate power through an engine.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
It's the difference between science fiction and fantasy. I'd always taken the game to be a sci-fi type game not fantasy.
Interestingly enough, works of fantasy tend to follow normal laws of nature far more accurately than science fiction does.