Downgrade the GSO Terraphobe Hover Plate

What's your opinion?

• It should be downgraded to Grade 3

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • It should be downgraded to Grade 4

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It should be left at Grade 5, just buffed substantially.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • This is a non-issue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (Other -please elaborate below.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
Sep 9, 2017
Tír na nÓg
1655831593395.pngPreamble:
The GSO has been the middling-mediocre do-everythingers of TerraTech for its entire history, notable for being at first (or even sometimes still) the only choice for a great many types of blocks such as laser weapons, component manufacturing, explosive bolts, power/fuel gauges, and even hover plates.​
The game is happily much advanced from the stage where most of these held true, where GSO still had such a ‘first corp’ monopoly. Now we have such a much more diverse multicorp spread of technologies and their metascape is redefined with many fringe or novelty features now being much more core gameplay elements. GSO was still the first, but no longer the best.
This rings too true for comfort for the one block that, in my view more than any other, lost out on this exchange: the lowly GSO Terraphobe Hover Plate. It’s remained a pitifully underpowered nominally end-game block in a game where hover technology has been promoted and improved so strongly in recent times that it almost has more potential for decoration than its intended purpose.​

The issue:
  • Their ‘weight:lifting power ratio’ is OK for the weight class of techs they may be suitable for, but the ride height is dreadful, causing unmodified vehicles to float at heights where even rocks pose huge hazards.
  • Their HP is such that almost any collision causes them to pop straight off (a problem they suffer worse than other hovers due to vulnerabilty to terrain and scenery outcrops from their low ride height.)
  • They’re totally obsoleted almost as soon as BF grade 1 is reached, as BF starter hover plates far outclass them.
  • Like some kind of cruel insult, they’re actually more expensive than Venture ZG hover plates, despite each being worse than half a ZG (primarily due to the ride height issue.)
It could be easy to identify that the simple issue to fix is their ride height, but I personally find this solution uncreative: GSO already has an excellent Grade 5 hover plate (1655832590801.png 1655832590801.png ), a ‘smaller version’ is not necessary. Rather, I identify a gap in the meta, where GSO can once again be the first, but not the best.​

The proposed solution:
I propose that the GSO Terraphobe Hover Plate would see some new relevance if:​
  • it was reduced to GSO Grade 3 – the same grade as fans and boosters fittingly come online for building experimental early-game hovercraft, but before BF shows how it’s really done.
  • its value was reduced, which I propose by simplifying the crafting recipe to just 1 Fuel Injector and 1 Acid Electrode (down to 1533 BB from 2709 BB - still pricey for what it does, but far more reasonable, and still scrappable to craft GSO Hover Pads later on.)
  • on top of that, it could also benefit from slight buffs to ride height, HP, and fragility, as it uniquely is a hover plate that is very likely to get bumps, and ought to be tuned slightly to withstand them.
Conclusion:
These alterations would result in (albeit weak) hovercraft and the hover bug being available a bit earlier in the campaign which I consider both to be factors that would improve the game. At the early stage of GSO grade 3, hover control options are still very limited, and there are no air brakes or stabilising computers. Early hovercraft will still be a dubiously-rewarding challenge, but one that is now an option at that early stage. GSO will once again be the first, even surely not the best, but for a brief window the GSO Terraphobe Hover Plate will have been relevant again.​

tl:dr GSO Terraphobe Hover Plate has been left behind through game development and is now totally obsolete, I think it would be interestingly relevant again for a window if it was moved to Grade 3 to play with the GSO fans and boosters as opposed to simply buffing it.

Last edited:

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
I actually really like this idea. I admit I actually never even touch the terraphobe unless I’m in R&D or creative and I’m making a tiny tech. For the grade and cost, a player’s time is better spent waiting until another hover is available.

In addition, I think it would be cool for there to be a story quest to encourage players to use the terraphobe. I think maybe update Better Future’s start mission to be like Hubl wants you to complete an obstacle course on a hovercraft. Then after you finish, he criticizes how weak and low grade your hovercraft is, then advertises a BF license for the 10,000BB. That way, players are more likely to use the terraphobe at least once.

Zonko

Sep 20, 2019
Agreed, but i would drop it to grade 2 and toughen it up a little bit. Or make it impact resistant.
IT would be good to experiment with at lower levels, but would not come into it's own until you get fans/boosters etc.

Alternatively, make it flatter, like the Venture underglow strip, and use it as a lift booster for wheeled techs.

totally anonymous

Anonymous account for anonymous suggestion spammin
Feb 10, 2021
In an anonymous world of anonymous
Honestly, I always felt that the terraphobe was terrible in every way known to man, almost to the point of late grade 2 standards. TBH, that early into the game, there isn't any incentive to build a hovercraft anyways, due to the meta of a wall of guns.

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
Honestly, I always felt that the terraphobe was terrible in every way known to man, almost to the point of late grade 2 standards. TBH, that early into the game, there isn't any incentive to build a hovercraft anyways, due to the meta of a wall of guns.
Honestly, the wall-of-guns meta is an issue that probably requires discussion as well, though in another, later thread. However, it would indeed be wise to create some more incentive for using hovers. The most effective incentive, though maybe harder to implement, may be to begin introducing terrain and environments that are difficult, dangerous or altogether impossible to traverse on wheel or track. Water would be a dream. A volcanic biome would be a practical solution too.

Reactions: Zonko

totally anonymous

Anonymous account for anonymous suggestion spammin
Feb 10, 2021
In an anonymous world of anonymous
Honestly, the wall-of-guns meta is an issue that probably requires discussion as well, though in another, later thread. However, it would indeed be wise to create some more incentive for using hovers. The most effective incentive, though maybe harder to implement, may be to begin introducing terrain and environments that are difficult, dangerous or altogether impossible to traverse on wheel or track. Water would be a dream. A volcanic biome would be a practical solution too.
Agreed. I could easily see hovers being used for resource drones over a mineral-rich lava lake. Personally, the wall of guns meta should probably be addressed before even thinking about buffing hovers, because, well, they have limits, making them irrelevant.

Zonko

Sep 20, 2019
New Wasteland biome.
It could have lava, and the lava could damage anything touching it.
And Hover doesn't touch.

Reactions: Geocorp Jumper