Doors, ramps and "roadblocks"

jnj01

Jun 18, 2017
Norway
You know the GeoCorp scoops? I often use them as doors for techs to have other techs inside, but they are not very efficient. Could you make something like those scoops just as GSO, and replace the scoop itself with a door? I've heard something about "roadblocks" or something allowing techs to move on each other, and in combination you could make mobile garages with doors and stuff. I am currently making an AC-130, a huge plane with a 7x40 cargoarea, where it would be awesome to have a functional door, and perhaps even a ramp, and then drive other techs in using these roadblocks. I know it's much to ask for, but if you give it enough time, it would be a game-changing addition.

Reactions: Zed

jnj01

Jun 18, 2017
Norway
btw, landing gear for planes would be cool. You could make some retractable wheels for venture and hawkeye, where venture would be rather small and light, and hawkeye could carry a lot more as well as larger tires.

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
Until we get hotkeys/key-binds with block state mechanics (turn on/off like drills, boosters/fans or doors/ramps, other things I can't think of atm) a door like the GEO scoops would be considered a weapon and would only work while weapons are used (either by you or AI if an enemy is in range).

The only way to make a true door atm is by way of multi techs which is not the best with the current engine as they are very unstable (prone to breaking/slipping apart from each other for various reasons. Lack of solid collision mechanics being the main thing imo as that is what allows us to stack anchored techs/bases like auto-miners).

They like the idea of retractable landing gears but also something that needs hotkeys/key-binds to use.

jnj01

Jun 18, 2017
Norway
Until we get hotkeys/key-binds with block state mechanics (turn on/off like drills, boosters/fans or doors/ramps, other things I can't think of atm) a door like the GEO scoops would be considered a weapon and would only work while weapons are used (either by you or AI if an enemy is in range).

The only way to make a true door atm is by way of multi techs which is not the best with the current engine as they are very unstable (prone to breaking/slipping apart from each other for various reasons. Lack of solid collision mechanics being the main thing imo as that is what allows us to stack anchored techs/bases like auto-miners).

They like the idea of retractable landing gears but also something that needs hotkeys/key-binds to use.
It would open up a lot of options for further development or other non-weapon mechanic parts though.

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
You know the GeoCorp scoops? I often use them as doors for techs to have other techs inside, but they are not very efficient. Could you make something like those scoops just as GSO, and replace the scoop itself with a door? I've heard something about "roadblocks" or something allowing techs to move on each other, and in combination you could make mobile garages with doors and stuff. I am currently making an AC-130, a huge plane with a 7x40 cargoarea, where it would be awesome to have a functional door, and perhaps even a ramp, and then drive other techs in using these roadblocks. I know it's much to ask for, but if you give it enough time, it would be a game-changing addition.
The AC-130 sounds like an impressive project. Regarding Road blocks I have not heard anything additional regarding those here on the forums since before the venture racing quests were introduced.

Regarding doors however there is a good chance that once hinges are graduated from the R&D area that possibilities will become available such as the curtain door proof of concept designed by @Nightblade Greyswandir here to which I am also looking forward which uses gravity to close itself.

Regarding Ramps I would suggest armored GSO / Hawkeye blocks bearing in mind the traction study located here.

Hopefully this information is of help, I look forward to seeing the AC-130 :)

jnj01

Jun 18, 2017
Norway
The AC-130 sounds like an impressive project. Regarding Road blocks I have not heard anything additional regarding those here on the forums since before the venture racing quests were introduced.

Regarding doors however there is a good chance that once hinges are graduated from the R&D area that possibilities will become available such as the curtain door proof of concept designed by @Nightblade Greyswandir here to which I am also looking forward which uses gravity to close itself.

Regarding Ramps I would suggest armored GSO / Hawkeye blocks bearing in mind the traction study located here.

Hopefully this information is of help, I look forward to seeing the AC-130 :)
Have hinges been added to R&D? Haven't noticed any. also, I mean ramps functioning like doors so you could close/open them.

The AC-130 had a hard time flying, but it looks allright though. Had to use upward-faced propellars for lift, so turning is horrible.

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Have hinges been added to R&D? Haven't noticed any. also, I mean ramps functioning like doors so you could close/open them.

The AC-130 had a hard time flying, but it looks allright though. Had to use upward-faced propellars for lift, so turning is horrible.
By my understanding the hinges are available as long as one has access to the R&D chamber; try the experiemental tab of your storage menu along the lower half of the left edge of the screen.

For an Aircraft that large most would use the "Hover Glitch" bug so it is a good sign you are using upward facing propellers. for the task. If memory serves the Hawkeye Turbine is the most efficient space wise with the large hawkeye prop being second best.

jnj01

Jun 18, 2017
Norway
By my understanding the hinges are available as long as one has access to the R&D chamber; try the experiemental tab of your storage menu along the lower half of the left edge of the screen.

For an Aircraft that large most would use the "Hover Glitch" bug so it is a good sign you are using upward facing propellers. for the task. If memory serves the Hawkeye Turbine is the most efficient space wise with the large hawkeye prop being second best.
It is 7 blocks wide, so my only option was the medium propellar and the turbing on the floor where it's 5 blocks wide. I don't fancy the hover glitch, it's altitude is limited and ruins the fun of an actual plane.

Reactions: Zed