Directional Shields, Angled Hovers, Mines, Junction Beams, and Other Block Suggestions

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
Now some advanced bomb technology: The Better Future EMP Grenade

1561564059186.png

BLOCK : Better Future EMP Grenade
Resource Name : BF_EMP_222
Description :
The EMP Grenade is a powerful support weapon that instantly deactivates shields and repair bubbles within its blast radius, creating a window of oportunity for other weapons to decimate the enemy. The cooldown however is rather long, you better not miss!
ID : ###, Enum ID : BF_EMP_222
Mass : 10
Corp : Better Future
Category : Weapon
Grade : 3
Price : #####
Health : 1800
-Recipe
######

The EMP Grenade is a special droppable bomb that deals no damage on enemy blocks, but as said, deactivates bubbles within blast radius. This effect is instantaneous and doesn't last; however a large tech with lots of bubbles will take time to startup them one by one, naturally, thus creating the said window of oportunity for a heavy strike. Therefore this weapon works better against larger techs, while doing poor against smaller techs with fewer bubbles and fast bubble startup.
The cooldown for this weapon is 40s, in order to make it balanced and create a risk-reward environment, denying constant shield/repair griefing but rewarding a good alpha strike, or long battles. The indicative of cooldown is the hatch, whenever it's open, the bomb is ready.

Last edited:

Rafs

Also, how about we give Better Future anti gravity mine that will slowly homing on to enemy when they went near or have a large air burst AOE with a delayed fuses that's triggered with sensor
Meet the Better Future Aerial Minelayer:

1561728665970.png
1561728773268.png

BLOCK : Better Future Aerial Minelayer
Resource Name : BF_Minelayer_211
Description :
The Aerial Minelayer uses antigravity technology to lay mines mid-air. Not as damaging as Hawkeye land mines but quite versatile, and each weapon supports 16 active mines at any given time. The mines have a homing radius and pass through shields, blowing up on enemy blocks in an explosion of energy.
ID : ###, Enum ID : BF_Minelayer_211
Mass : 2
Corp : Better Future
Grade : 2
Price : ####
Health : 600
-Recipe
#####

Further detailing this simple weapon, it releases the two mines mid-air in an alternating pattern, helping the tech to draw a cohesive line of 16 mines around anything it wants to protect (adding more of this weapon to the same tech will increase the density of the line).
The aerial mines have a "blue explosion" instead of orange-ish like other explosive weapons, since it's better future, thus it's more like an explosion of energy.
I didn't comment in the HE Minelayer but one could extend the line of mines by using additional techs (since each weapon can support a number of mines and more weapons only increase mine density). Even a smol tonytony with a couple minelayers is enough to help create a ring of protection around a base; in other words, just use more minelayer techs.

Rafs

Today's model is the GeoCorp Mammoth Adjustment Thruster.

1561855178172.png 1561855184042.png
1561855217907.png

BLOCK : GeoCorp Mammoth Adjustment Thruster
Resource Name : GC_Mammoth_222
Description :
A giant adjustment thruster made for the largest conceivable flying techs. If this can't help turning your tech, perhaps you should check if it is still anchored.

The Mammoth Adjustment Thruster was an underfunded project lead by several geniuses in the small quarters of the GeoCorp Flight Department, one few people even know that exists. Rumor says these engineers were hired by Better Future right after the thruster was released.

ID : ###, Enum ID : GCMammoth_222
Mass : 16
Corp : GeoCorp
Category : Flight
Health : 1600
-Recipe
#######

This block has several implications for the design and balance of Terratech that go beyond this thread, and can be seen here.
In general, I think Terratech deserves a large Adj. Thruster block with a lot of power, to reduce the need of thruster spam in large techs or maybe even the hoverbug in some cases such as steering and braking. I thought of a power density (power/space occupied) between BF Ion Engines and VEN Zero Propellers, with the Mammoth Adj. Thruster trading attachment points for raw power (and being quite pricey too).
Why GeoCorp?
GeoCorp has a terrible adjustment thruster, the Jetson. I have conducted many tests, it is absolutely underpowered, and loses for any other thruster in many departments, even the HE Exfil can replace it without sacrificing attach points, with an enormous increase in power. And the 221 size is odd for GC.
GeoCorp should be the reference for large and heavy techs, with big and powerful blocks, sometimes a little bit too large or clunky with the attach points like some weapons or the gyro, but enough to do a good job. That's where this adj. thruster fits in, where whenever a player intuitively looks for raw power in adj. thrusters, will find it in this block.

Lyons

Guess who's back. Back again
Now, the first directional shield suggested in the original post: the Geocorp Shield Dome Projector. Let's see it in action:

View attachment 27695

Now the block itself:

View attachment 27696 View attachment 27698

BLOCK : GeoCorp Shield Dome Projector
Resource Name : GCDome(222)
Description :
The largest directional shield, the Dome is the ultimate protection for your large tech. Beware enemies from down below!
ID : ###, Enum ID : GCDome_222
Mass : 12
Category : Power
Price : ####
Health : 950
-Recipe
#####

The shield dome was thought for large techs, most importantly, large bases. These already have a lot of graphical stuff going on like resources on silos, shield repetition only adds to that graphical load, slowing down lower end PCs like mine (I avoid all bubbles in my bases). Also, the shield repetition can cause a lot of eyesore.
Besides bases, other large techs that can't be flipped over easily would like using it too.
Large flying techs can use it upside down if they fly high, and the shield can also be used sideways on tall techs if one wants to protect the flanks.
Its unique shape creates an enormous design potential and rewards creativity and placement thinking.
Power drain should be higher than the Havoc Shield, since while it sacrifices half of the bubble, it creates an enormous dome capable of blocking a lot of splash damage, thus it should be balanced for high drain as it probably unburdens the healing bubbles.

Edit: It should be anchored only, and the activation time is 70s. The model had been updated in a comment below with lights that flicker and fill during activation process.
I only have one question. What software are you using to make these models?

Rafs

The next model is not a suggestion from this thread, but belongs here as it is the missing directional shield for GSO :)

The GSO Ring Shield Projector

GSO Shield.png

BLOCK : GSO Ring Shield Projector
Resource Name : GSO_RingShield_222
Description :
An anchored shield projector that creates a large ring shaped wall. Guaranteed 360° protection for your bases; and if something dares to shoot over it, build a higher wall, of course!
ID : ###, Enum ID : GSORingShield_222
Mass : 16
Corp : GSO
Category : Power
Grade : 5
Health : 2000
-Recipe
######

This anchored shield works similar to the GC Dome Shield Projector, with a shorter arm time of 30s.
It features a large ring shaped shield that extends 5 blocks down and 5 blocks up from the center, for a total of 10 blocks in height. One can place this projector every 8 blocks, creating a shielded tower. And as seen in the image, the top can be completed with a GC Dome Shield Projector.
It should help player defending their bases against splash damage abuse (crafting bases are specially frail), with the long range of the shield. However, power drain is high, so a reliable source of energy is required (such as solar+GC batteries, vents, etc).
It should also reduce the eyesore caused by multiple bubbles, and the lag.

Last edited:

Captain Load

The next model is for the GeoCorp Mining Explosive weapon. These are the models for the hatch and explosive:

View attachment 27800

BLOCK : GeoCorp Mining Explosive
Resource Name : GCExplosive (222)
Description :
The ultimate technology in blast mining operations, a must have for large scale offworld miners out there.
And please, remember to follow all safety normatives, so that nobody gets hurt. Always. Ok? Promise?
ID : ###, Enum ID : GCExplosive_222
Mass : 6
Health : 1500
-Recipe
#####

The Geocorp Mining Explosive is a blast mining weapon, made for harvesting large clusters of rocks in a single large explosion. Can be used in combat too, but it can be tricky.
This weapon works like this:
  • Weapon is fired. Hatch opens, dropping the explosive charge.
  • The charge has a red light which will flicker for 5 seconds (faster and faster), with a beeping sound that follows the flickering. Then it will explode.
  • The explosion has a very large radius and very high damage, destroying all nearby rocks.
  • The hatch has a long cooldown between explosives releasing.
The long cooldown, slow fuse and immobile projectile (only affected by gravity) makes this weapon predictable and avoidable in many combat situations, but it may reward whoever finds a reliable way of using it, with its high damage and blast radius. It would probably be a good defensive weapon, but I can also imagine giant battleships bombing other large slow techs with these explosives in epic battles.
And even though GeoCorp doesn't use ranged weapons, I think explosives fit the mining lore perfectly, as it is one of the most used mining techniques nowadays, and should always keep its popularity with new types of explosives in the future.
Wow, almost the exact GC Mining Charge idea I had about three years ago. My version allowed you to detonate all dropped explosives that were within about 50m of you with a hotkey. The explosives would disappear from the world after about a minute so you couldn't create a giant ring of death :)