Directional Shields, Angled Hovers, Mines, Junction Beams, and Other Block Suggestions

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
I never heard of such recommendation.
I will keep posting in my own dedicated threads nevertheless, it's easier to keep track of and keep things organized. I'm just upgrading my ideas with models, which is very welcome and I have a lot of fun at.
Others are free to do whatever they want with their suggestions.

Next time try to stay on topic, it's a little more constructive than loose scratched words. Thank you.

Last edited:

Rafs

Next up is the second directional shield: the Venture Shield Screen Projector.

1560825071064.png
1560825091422.png

BLOCK : Venture Shield Screen Projector
Resource Name : VENScreen(111)
Description :
The smallest directional shield. Its low power drain and decent shield distance makes up for the lack of multi-directional coverage, protecting small techs from most shield-passing splash damage.
ID : ###, Enum ID : VENScreen_111
Mass : 2
Corp : Venture
Category : Power
Grade : 3
Price : #####
Health : 240
-Recipe:
######

This is the Venture version of a directional shield, made mostly for smaller techs that lack battery power and need some protection against splash damage (which the Venture Shield is terrible at protecting). One would probably put this shield at the front (that's why it's streamlined like that), or maybe it's just a racer tech that needs protection behind when running from danger. Bomber planes can place it facing down and get decent protection from ground attackers while not having to rely heavily on batteries.
It is another shield full of possibilities for creative players.

And yes, the shield is indeed angry.

(also updated the Geocorp Shield to be anchored and have flickering/filling lights indicator for activation process).

Last edited:

Nerf Craft

Here's an idea! Better Future Skin Shield. It places a tight-fitting shield around all blocks in its radius to prevent small tech from moving into your shield. It would also protect against drills as well!

Rafs

The Hawkeye Riot Shield Projector

1560905934566.png
1560906156861.png

BLOCK : Hawkeye Riot Shield Projector
Resource Name : HE_Riot_(211)
Description :
The ultimate directional protection, provides wide coverage against enemy shots and explosives. The Riot Shield keeps the situation under control, at a high energy cost.
ID : ###, Enum ID : HE_Riot_211
Mass : 8
Corp : Hawkeye
Price : ######
Health : 1200
-Recipe
######

The Riot Shield is a larger version of the VEN Screen, with similar functions, just bigger, and very power hungry. Another shield that can be freely placed in any direction and rotation, rewarding creativity and placement thinking. @Azzy on discord suggested placing this shield on a multitech turret so that it faces the enemy at all times, one of the many ingenious usages for directional shields.

Last edited:

Rafs

Now for the last directional shield proposed: the Better Future Rotating Shield Projector.

1561087541775.png

1561087560079.png

BLOCK : Better Future Rotating Shield Projector
Resource Name : BF_Rotating_Shield(221)
Description :
A smart directional shield projector where the projection always faces the nearest detected enemy, blocking direct fire. Average power drain.
ID : ###, Enum ID : BF_Rotating_Shield_221
Mass : 7.2
Corp : Better Future
Health : 800
-Recipe
######

The BF Rotating Shield Projector is the "smart" version of the other shields, with higher power drain than the VEN one, smaller size than the HE one, but able to rotate in any direction around the projector block, in order to always face the enemy. Its distance from the point of origin makes it good at blocking explosive splash damage.
This shield is much less "direction of placement" dependant than the others, but it does have a fixed position when there is no enemy nearby. This can be used in a fun way in MP, for example, making the shield face the ground in a car or low flying hover, essentially hiding it from far away observers (as the shield will be under the ground), and then when the enemy approaches, the shield emerges from the ground, causing a moment of surprise. The only weakness of that shield is far away sniping enemies, or attacks from multiple directions/enemies.

Rafs

The next model is for the GeoCorp Mining Explosive weapon. These are the models for the hatch and explosive:

1561173075326.png

BLOCK : GeoCorp Mining Explosive
Resource Name : GCExplosive (222)
Description :
The ultimate technology in blast mining operations, a must have for large scale offworld miners out there.
And please, remember to follow all safety normatives, so that nobody gets hurt. Always. Ok? Promise?
ID : ###, Enum ID : GCExplosive_222
Mass : 6
Corp : GeoCorp
Category : Weapon
Health : 1500
-Recipe
#####

The Geocorp Mining Explosive is a blast mining weapon, made for harvesting large clusters of rocks in a single large explosion. Can be used in combat too, but it can be tricky.
This weapon works like this:
  • Weapon is fired. Hatch opens, dropping the explosive charge.
  • The charge has a red light which will flicker for 5 seconds (faster and faster), with a beeping sound that follows the flickering. Then it will explode.
  • The explosion has a very large radius and very high damage, destroying all nearby rocks.
  • The hatch has a long cooldown between explosives releasing.
The long cooldown, slow fuse and immobile projectile (only affected by gravity) makes this weapon predictable and avoidable in many combat situations, but it may reward whoever finds a reliable way of using it, with its high damage and blast radius. It would probably be a good defensive weapon, but I can also imagine giant battleships bombing other large slow techs with these explosives in epic battles.
And even though GeoCorp doesn't use ranged weapons, I think explosives fit the mining lore perfectly, as it is one of the most used mining techniques nowadays, and should always keep its popularity with new types of explosives in the future.

Last edited:

Nerf Craft

The Geocorp Mining Explosive is a blast mining weapon, made for harvesting large clusters of rocks in a single large explosion.
Would probably obliterate the ground when terraforming gets added, or when using the VoxelTerrain mod.

Rafs

Next one in the explosives category: the Venture Cluster Bomb.

1561250527156.png 1561250570609.png 1561250639516.png

BLOCK : Venture Cluster Bomb
Resource Name : VENBomb(211)
Description :
This bomb bay releases a cluster of six mini bombs which spread and deal damage over a large area.
ID : ###, Enum ID : VENBomb_211
Mass : 1
Corp : Venture
Grade : 2
Price : ####
Health : 150
-Recipe
######

The Venture Cluster Bomb is the bomb "cousin" of the Cluster Missile. They have way less homing and tracking than cluster missiles, but deal more damage and the blast radius is slightly larger. The bombs also have a natural spread which makes it good at draining shields/repair energy from medium and large techs.
The bomb bay is rather small and light, making it an almost inexpensive secondary weapon for planes.

Last edited:

Rafs

Another explosive: the Hawkeye Roller Charge.

1561331959628.png
1561332763058.png 1561332916999.png

BLOCK : Hawkeye Roller Charge
Resource Name : HE_Charge_(211)
Description :
An unique ground based bomb that rolls whenever it touches the soil, rolling towards the enemy.
ID : ###, Enum ID : HE_Charge_211
Mass : 2
Health : 180
-Recipe
######

The Hawkeye Roller Charge is a rather versatile bomb. When fired, it falls with gravity, like a bomb, and as said, rolls when touching the ground, so that it can be used defensively in close range by tanks and such, or offensively as a bombing weapon for bombers and antigravs.
It's not as fast as a missile when rolling, it's rather dodgeable, but if it hits, the blast radius and damage is that of a cruiser missile. Also lasts much longer than a missile before automatically exploding.

eddie

Forever thonk, dis is ma philosophy
One problem with explosive mining is the explosion will blow resource chunks away, making it hard to collect, maybe make the blast of mining explosive don't blast away the resource chunks will be better.

Also, how about we give Better Future anti gravity mine that will slowly homing on to enemy when they went near or have a large air burst AOE with a delayed fuses that's triggered with sensor

BTW, the model looks sweet.

Last edited:

Rafs

That's why the GC Explosive vaporizes all rocks in a single blast, the moment the chunks spawn the explosion is already over, so no flying chunks.

I love the antigravity mines idea and I already have a cool design in my head, soon I'll make it :)

Yes the charges roll like barrels, chasing the enemy. It's a nice bomb for planes because if you miss the target and the charge lands on the ground, it has a second chance for hitting it.

Epic afdc

That's why the GC Explosive vaporizes all rocks in a single blast, the moment the chunks spawn the explosion is already over, so no flying chunks.

I love the antigravity mines idea and I already have a cool design in my head, soon I'll make it :)

Yes the charges roll like barrels, chasing the enemy. It's a nice bomb for planes because if you miss the target and the charge lands on the ground, it has a second chance for hitting it.
Hehehe, me like the roller bombs!

Rafs

Next: the Hawkeye Minelayer.

1561481480598.png
1561481535375.png 1561481842962.png

BLOCK : Hawkeye Minelayer
Resource Name : HE_Minelayer_(221)
Description :

The minelayer lays magnetic land mines which require touching the ground in order to activate. Once it does, it will stay there, and whenever a threat approaches it will be attracted to it, ignoring shields and detonating with a powerful blast! What a bad day to be a tank!
Each minelayer can support up to 8 mines, laying an additional one deactivates and destroys the last.

ID : ###, Enum ID : HE_Minelayer_221
Mass : 4
Price : ####
Health : 800
-Recipe
######

Let's explain how the weapon works:
-It opens releasing a mine, which falls, reaches the floor and after 1 second it activates.
-The mine will stay put (contrary to my original post design), and will be attracted to enemies within a certain radius, like if they were a "magnet". That mid-air movement is not very fast, but constant, should the tech stay in the magnetic radius of the mine.
-It will go through shields and blow up on a block surface, with great damage and blast radius.
-Mines are deployed every 2 seconds by the weapon, up to 8 can be deployed at any time per Minelayer. Removing a Minelayer destroys its assigned mines.
-The mines have a red light, making them easy to spot, thus they are not exactly traps but defensive measures.

This weapon can be used to lay mines around a small base, or during combat to blow up ground enemies chasing the tech. It should work better against tanks and slower techs in general; fast techs shouldn't have problems avoiding it even when the magnetic effect occurs (unless they run right into the mine). Flying techs can use this weapon too, although the mines still have to hit the ground first in order to be activated, it will stay deactivated if it lands on a tech, until falling off to the ground.

Last edited: