Directional Shields, Angled Hovers, Mines, Junction Beams, and Other Block Suggestions

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
Hey guys!

I wanted to share a few suggestions of new blocks that could add for the gameplay and versatility of techs. Some of these ideas are based on my experiences, others are some crazy stuff I came up with, but they're all what I would love to see in the game, adding more fun to each corporation while respecting balance and themes.

I’ll be talking about directional projected shields, angled hovers, explosives/mines, beams of energy junctions, high range utilities, and more.

Hope you people enjoy! :D

GSO

=> GSO Shield Switch & GSO Repair Switch – An early game, rudimentary version of the BF Block Controller Switch, these two blocks allow switching shields and repair on and off. Situational but useful, specially if you're trying to keep the so few energy you have early on.

Geocorp

=> Geocorp Colossal Shock Plating – A larger shock plating? Yes! Heavy 1x4x4 (large square) armor plating for the largest techs around, so that you don’t need to cover a wall of your tech or the sides of your factory base with so many smaller shock platings. Has attachments on the back but not in the mid 2x2 area, “mirroring” one face of a GC Octo Block.

=> Geocorp Mining Explosives An end-game mining weapon, it drops a small block of explosives, which explodes after a while. Not so useful for fast paced combat, but great for mining clusters of rocks with large radius AoE explosions, probably the best weapon for heavy surface mining; you go there, plant the bomb, move away, profit (just like real world blast mining). Could be used to bomb techs from above though if timed right, or work as land mines for chasing techs.

=> Geocorp Shock Spring – 2x2x2 acessory block with attachments on one side, a spring in the middle and a shock plate on the other side. It absorbs impact much like wheels do when your tech falls from high; useful for protecting against crashes on obstacles that can really punish a large tech and make you miss a piece or two before you can even heal it. I’ve been using wheels to do the job (or shock plate for their high HP), but I’d like something more suited for the job that doesn't take much damage at all. These would be amazing landing pads too (I have flying bases that when I lower down, they crush landing pads, so I've been using wheels for this too).

=> Geocorp Shield Dome Projector – A 2x2x2 block that projects a dome shaped shield. Unlike the bubble, its direction depents on placement (up, down or sideways). Very, very large, useful for big techs that won’t be flipped easily. Also useful for bases in general, covering a large area. Great for floating bases and high flying fortress hovers if facing downwards. Way less ugly than Havoc spam.

=> Geocorp Mammoth Adjustment Thruster – The largest thruster available, very useful for huge techs, a 2x2x2 robust cube with 5-way thrusters and attach points above and upper-sides. I thought of it when I found myself filling my large tech with rows after rows of jetson thrusters, there should be something bigger and stronger for GC.

=> Geocorp Angled Hover Pad – A 2x2x2 sized pad with 45° angled hovers that will help you avoid crashing into mountains and hills, allowing the tech to repel the surface and tilt to start climbing it safely.

(character limit reached, continues below)

Last edited:

Rafs

(Part 2)

Venture

=> Venture Cluster Bomb – Works similar to the big man bomb, but based on the cluster concept of their missile launcher; releasing a cluster of small bombs that spreads over a larger area.

=> Venture Shield Screen Projector – Projects a small shield screen (of a given shape, like circular/oval), with good projection range (further than the Venture Shield Bubble) but keeping the low power drain. Useful for those willing to sacrifice protection in all diretions to prioritize one of them. I imagined something like Symmetra’s or Orisa’s shield from Overwatch.

=> Venture Small Angled Hover Pad – A smaller version of the GC one, to avoid crashing your fast tech into hills and obstacles.

=> Venture Hover Flipper (Left & Right) – A small 2x1x1 hover flipper shaped like a wing with thrusters behind, so that smaller Venture techs don’t need thruster blocks, which breaks their seamless visual.

Hawkeye

=> Hawkeye Minelayer – Drops an explosive mine that detonates on enemy proximity. It doesn’t last forever though, I thought it would work better as a defensive measure on being chased.

=> Hawkeye Roller Charge – I imagined something like those old naval depth charges that roll and fall into the ocean, exploding on enemy subs. In this case, you roll a bomb instead of dropping it from the sky, delivering a big explosion on the target. Unlike the cannons, this is a close combat bomb, and has a very high damage. They see me rollin', they blowin'.

=> Hawkeye Covert Ops Block Controller – Automatically turns on and off shield and repair systems in response to enemy presence/damaged blocks, also lowering startup time. Better suited for small techs with fewer of these generators. Even though the startup energy drain is a thing, having the shield/regen turned off on moments of peace is a huge net gain. It’s also supposed to roleplay being less “noticieable” without the bubbles around.

=> Hawkeye Riot Shield Projector – Projects a large “riot shield” shaped screen in one direction, much bigger and further than the Venture one. Useful for sieges or protecting weak sides of your tech. This time, think like Reinhardt’s shield from Overwatch.

(character limit reached, continues below)

Last edited:

Rafs

(Part 3 - final)

Better Future

=> Better Future Junction Beam (Short/Medium/Long) – Imagine the BF anchoring beam, but instead, as a part of your Tech’s structure, with attachment points on both sides of the beam, like a girder. Stretchy like rubber, it would allow for interesting contraptions, making non-rigid links between parts of your tech; be it a large base, a train, anything. It’s a whole new building concept.

=> Better Future Towing Beam – High tech towing technology, that overcomes the limitations of solid links between techs. One side goes on a tech, other side goes on another tech, and when you turn off build beam, they'll attempt to connect. I hope this is doable.

=> Better Future EMP Grenade – An EMP grenade that drops like a big man bomb (can’t be launched), exploding and turning off shields and repair on techs caught in the explosion. It turns all bubbles off just for an instant, also dealing no damage on the target. Larger techs will suffer the most, as the time for lots of bubbles to startup will leave it vulnerable and drain a lot of energy. Smaller techs won’t face much of a problem here. It’s supposed to be a counter for big techs, opening windows of opportunity for a smaller flying tech to attack it. The weapon however has a very long cooldown, so much that one would only be able to fire it once on most combats (twice if bringing down a behemmoth); it would be the very first shot of your tech once combat begins, and you must not miss. Difficult to use but highly rewarding. For this special weapon, the UI would display cooldown time.

=> Better Future Skylifter Collector – A small resource collector with regular capacity but very high range, so that if you somehow mine resources while flying, you can collect these from far above.

=> Better Future Block Magnet – 2x2x1 block magnet, regular power and very high range, to pick those blocks far below on the ground.

=> Better Future Remote Charger – Very, very high range, and regular power transfer. Suited for recharging high flying techs on low anchored bases, or ground techs under a high floating base.

=> Better Future Rotating Shield Projector – Projects a circular shield screen in a certain direction on placement, but then rotates the shield freely in any axis to face incoming threat (much like a gun would rotate to face the opponent), in order to block incoming enemy fire. Lower power drain than a regular bubble of the same shape/range.

That's it! Please share your opinion, tweaks, etc ;)

Thanks for reading!

tonytony

Last edited:

Zorgomol

Not a Number
Reticule Research

=> Reticule Research Sheep Launcher - This little harmless toy creates and lobs out bouncy fluffy lil' robotic sheep. They are just full of love and joy and want to make everyone happy. This is why they bouncily run over to the nearest grumpy tech (that is, any that would want to harm you) and then EXPLODE with joy and confetti to make them happy. They are full of energy and can go for a long time! (And for the millionth time Engelbert, this is completely inappropriate use of the Z4-based hyper battery!)

(I'd hope there are some people around who have played Worms...)

stickman_king_28

insert joke here
GSO: Gso Dumbfire missile: a stripeless two block that fires weak missiles. Form over function. Looks pretty cool in missile batteries.
Gso tracker torpedo: A super smart midrange missile that penetrates shields. medium damage, kind of a cruise missile-lite

Venture: VEnture harpoon launcher: Fires a harpoon that DRILLS into enemy techs and explodes inside of them. Weak vs shield bubbles.

Better future Drone bay: a large sleek part that deploys a tiny drone with a weapon similar to the BF laser rifle. drone hovers over terrain and harasses, then explodes after a bit.

stickman_king_28

insert joke here
Hawkeye mini silo: A missile silo that only fires upwards. When the missile is far enough up, it locks on to the nearest enemy and homes in on it. Slow. Better future energy brake: When activated, stops tech from moving like when in build beam. when a key for movement is pressed, the tech continues moving. All thrust is retained, for example LME's will still go on maximum thrust when exited. Better future docking beam: works with multi techs, its holds a small enough tech in its beam, keeping it from moving away and such. EXP Ballista: Literally a medieval ballista which fires piercing bolts which explode while in a tech.

Rafs

Thanks for collaborating with your suggestions :) however EXP is not really a corp, it's a temporary thing... so you might want to assign that Ballista somewhere else. Also leave some space between suggestions, second post is somewhat confusing, just a tip ;)

DROTC ball

Website
mail.google.com
GSO SUGGESTION/ AND ALSO CONNECTED TO ALL TO ALL OTHER CORPS.

-----> GSO nuclear generator with the addition of radio active materials - BEHOLD NUCLEAR ENERGY. may kill some trees/the who place but makes 180% more energy than those furnaces rubbish. there are radio active materials like broundium and rustirum etc... they generate a different amount of energy based on radio activity. same for all other corps like geo corp, hawk eye etc...

Rafs

It seems that my BF Skylifter Collector idea was flushed down the toilet.

The BF collector released in Unstable has same range as Hawkeye and GSO Flatbed collectors, can hold resources at high speeds and has good capacity (nothing a Venture Silo attached to any collectors couldn't do).
And it can steal or pick resources from delivery cannons, but it seems to be able to do it in all its range, different than the BF Receiver that had to be aligned with the delivery cannon below.

All in all, it killed the BF Receiver while not adding anything new to the table.

So, a very long range Collector niche is yet to be filled. I highly doubt upcoming corps will have these.
My last hope is seeing a 4 sized BF collector with these long range properties, if they don't do it, then the concept is dead.

Last edited:

Bandit_312

larger bulk conveyors from geocorp. it helps to unload resources from techs faster by giving receivers more space to places to put chunks, as well as prevent bases clogging up around choke points.

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
A large 6x6x12 Experimental Corp Scrapper that gives 2/3rd of the resources of the Corp specific Scrappers. As a side note it also does this with component blocks. (also at 2/3 of cost...) Proof that you can scrap anything if you hit it with a large hammer.

Autominers for the other Corps Because we can have three options: Cheap, Fast, and Efficient; Pick two. (GSO Being only cheap.

Rafs

I made a model representation of the Geocorp Colossal Shock Plating. I think it's time to detail it further, too.

1560616299602.png 1560616333746.png
1560617090060.png

BLOCK : GeoCorp Colossal Shock Plating
Resource Name : GCArmourPlate(441)
Description :
The heaviest duty protection for industrial equipment. This thing is huge!
ID : ###, Enum ID : GCArmourPlate_441
Mass : 8
Corp : GeoCorp
Category : Standard
Grade : 3
Price : ####
Health : 14400
-Recipe
######

This armour plating is perfect for avoiding Large Shock Plate repetition in the largest techs (these look terrible when repeated, even more in orange). It trades the versatility of the Large Shock Plate for size, health, and less attach points, mirroring the side of an Octo Block.
It is not OP since armour doesn't stop splash damage, but it should give additional protection against impact damage and lasers.
With this model and stats, I hope it gets considered even more :)

And more models to come soon!

Last edited:

Rafs

Now, the first directional shield suggested in the original post: the Geocorp Shield Dome Projector. Let's see it in action:

1560644482973.png

Now the block itself:

1560644514427.png 1560644538999.png

BLOCK : GeoCorp Shield Dome Projector
Resource Name : GCDome(222)
Description :
The largest directional shield, the Dome is the ultimate protection for your large tech. Beware enemies from down below!
ID : ###, Enum ID : GCDome_222
Mass : 12
Category : Power
Health : 950
-Recipe
#####

The shield dome was thought for large techs, most importantly, large bases. These already have a lot of graphical stuff going on like resources on silos, shield repetition only adds to that graphical load, slowing down lower end PCs like mine (I avoid all bubbles in my bases). Also, the shield repetition can cause a lot of eyesore.
Besides bases, other large techs that can't be flipped over easily would like using it too.
Large flying techs can use it upside down if they fly high, and the shield can also be used sideways on tall techs if one wants to protect the flanks.
Its unique shape creates an enormous design potential and rewards creativity and placement thinking.
Power drain should be higher than the Havoc Shield, since while it sacrifices half of the bubble, it creates an enormous dome capable of blocking a lot of splash damage, thus it should be balanced for high drain as it probably unburdens the healing bubbles.

Edit: It should be anchored only, and the activation time is 70s. The model had been updated in a comment below with lights that flicker and fill during activation process.

Last edited:

Green4Gaming

Mindless Dominion Leader
Now, the first directional shield suggested in the original post: the Geocorp Shield Dome Projector. Let's see it in action:

View attachment 27695

Now the block itself:

View attachment 27696 View attachment 27698

BLOCK : GeoCorp Shield Dome Projector
Resource Name : GCDome(222)
Description :
The largest directional shield, the Dome is the ultimate protection for your large tech. Beware enemies from down below!
ID : ###, Enum ID : GCDome_222
Mass : 12
Category : Power
Health : 950
-Recipe
#####

The shield dome was thought for large techs, most importantly, large bases. These already have a lot of graphical stuff going on like resources on silos, shield repetition only adds to that graphical load, slowing down lower end PCs like mine (I avoid all bubbles in my bases). Also, the shield repetition can cause a lot of eyesore.
Besides bases, other large techs that can't be flipped over easily would like using it too.
Large flying techs can use it upside down if they fly high, and the shield can also be used sideways on tall techs if one wants to protect the flanks.
Its unique shape creates an enormous design potential and rewards creativity and placement thinking.
Power drain should be higher than the Havoc Shield, since while it sacrifices half of the bubble, it creates an enormous dome capable of blocking a lot of splash damage, thus it should be balanced for high drain as it probably unburdens the healing bubbles.
I think that such a shield would be incredibly overpowered for large combat vessels despite of how large the power drain is supposed to be, so it definately should be forced to be anchored and have a 1 minute power up time, although that should be seperated from other bubbles and happen simultaniously in order to make it not frustrating to slightly move the base if needed.

Rafs

Making it anchored was considered at first, but I thought it could feel too limiting. Yet it makes a lot of sense, I'm okay with that.

Edit: Added a flickering/filling 70s timer. It has 7 lights, all lights begin turned off, then one flicks for 5 seconds, then stays lighted for more five seconds, another light starts flickering, and so on, like batteries charging up (but in this case, it is the anchored shield activating itself).

1560828267056.png

Last edited: