'Dead' blocks that do not function

UmbraDraco42

May 13, 2016
OKay, this has been happening quite a bit for quite a long time. I have just started a new campaign for the new stable update and it is happening again. I have a save, so have a look.

Issue. Blocks that somehow become 'dead' and will not attach or be picked up by SCUs. I try to attach a block and it becomes dead. the only answer I have found is to remove the dead block from the tech, but that is not always obvious. or, i guess, i could just rip the entire tech apart, let all the 'alive' blocks get SCU'd and then start again. problem there is, of course, being attacked when you are in the middle of building your Tech, so not a great option.

anyway, attached is the save file. hope it helps find the issue.

okay, i just restarted the game to check i had attached the correct save, i rotate between two saves, sometimes more in other games, and the blocks all just got picked up. problem sort of fixed? i'll post/send just in case it helps, but...??????

Attachments

Reactions: mozuo and Seth_Seth

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
Hey @UmbraDraco42 , thanks for this. It's a frustrating one, we're unsure of how to reproduce it in the studio, and as you can see the issue is fixed after a reload, making shared save games not very useful. But at least it isn't permanently affecting players saves. We'll keep working on it and hopefully be able to prevent it from happening.

Reactions: mozuo

UmbraDraco42

May 13, 2016
I have found that it happens after battles and also creating huge techs in R&D. If I can find such a save, I will send it along.
As some idea of how it happens in R&D though, I create a 'cage' of GeoCorp Big One blocks, the 4x4x2 ones to be clear, around all of my batteries and fuel tanks and gyros and such, sometimes I create the cage 2 Big One blocks thick for extra protection, but usually only 1 layer of them. Then I put a layer of HawkEye blocks, often the 1 and 2 blocks, though sometimes I use the 2x4 or 2x6 blocks now that they exist, though I usually use this layer to conceal HawkEye shield and repair bubbles and the larger blocks don't always work for those, so usually the 1s and 2s. Usually the 2s come to think of it, just to lower the actual number of blocks because it gets laggy as these techs are often close to maximum size. like 8x10 Big One blocks or more, then the layer of hawkeye blocks.
Finally, i put in a layer of Better Future faired blocks, just for the smooth finish, putting the dotted faired blocks to add weapons around the front, back and sides near the front and back. It is often when putting on the HE blocks or the BF blocks that I start encountering the dead blocks, usually attached to the tech but then any block I try to attach become dead and I have to find the right block, remove it, replace it and carry on. As you can imagine, with so many blocks and attach points, it is quite slow, sometimes, to generate them all and in a rush it may be that I place a block before the attach points all generate, causing the issue, or similar situations. I will look for a save point, maybe work on a huge Tech to try to force the issue, but that situation, near the end of the job is when I have often encountered the dead block issue. Usually just one or two on the tech killing the next blocks to be attached at the end.

Reactions: Luracasmus

UmbraDraco42

May 13, 2016
Okay, I was/am, watching MacGhriogair playing through on Youtube, link:
time stamp is 10:26, and he encountered this bug when building with...GeoCorp Big One blocks. It is Vods from a stream so he skips over a chunk, but maybe look at the Big One blocks as they are a common point in building? Not so for post battle blocks though. And dead resource blocks, though those can just be picked up and attached to conveyors or tractor pads with no ill effect that I have seen, so not such an issue really.

Reactions: mozuo

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Aug 14, 2014
australia
I have had this issue with most blocks, even when not using the geo bigone's, so wll not help to target a particular block, but seems to be almost random ( usually after I force a block to euther get scu'd or built with) and yes it has been happening for a L O O O O O O O O N N N N N N N G G G time (I think it has been happpening since the 0.8 era)
PLEASE try to locate and eliminate this BUG

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
Aug 15, 2018
Somewhere in Seattle Washington.
For me It's not a specific block but the place that I'm attaching the block to. Seems to happen when ever I try to place more than a seemingly random number blocks of the same type in a row. So it may be a "rounding" error where the blocks are being detected as overlapping each other, even if they are not.

UmbraDraco42

May 13, 2016
Okay, here's another save to check out. I have run through many damned dead blocks getting to this point. It is getting to the point where there is no point in playing because you won't be able to build a Tech because of this issue.

Attachments

UmbraDraco42

May 13, 2016
I get that it is a tricky bug to find because saving and loading fixes the damned bug, but this has been happening for f&%^ing ages. I am about done with this great game because I go to build a damned Tech and randomly a block will be red for no f*&^ing reason and if you try, it just falls off, dead until you save and load. It is F*&^ING annoying to try to build anything when you have to save/load every few blocks just so the damned game works. place a block, maybe 10, then save/load to place another block or 10 to save/load and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and FU&K that!

Last edited:

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
I get that it is a tricky bug to find because saving and loading fixes the damned bug, but this has been happening for f&%^ing ages. I am about done with this great game because I go to build a damned Tech and randomly a block will be red for no f*&^ing reason and if you try, it just falls off, dead until you save and load. It is F*&^ING annoying to try to build anything when you have to save/load every few blocks just so the damned game works. place a block, maybe 10, then save/load to place another block or 10 to save/load and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and FU&K that!
Hey there, sorry this is still occurring. We're actually finding it very difficult to reproduce internally. But if you say you get it every 10 blocks you try to add, maybe I can repeat it with a save game or snapshot.

If you can please upload the save game and snapshot, and then describe exactly what you're doing (what block you are trying to attach, where abouts on the tech etc) then I'll do my best to repro it and see if we can fix it.

Thanks

Reactions: mozuo and Seth_Seth