Dark Days Are Over

Sdarks

Hi all,

I unfortunately have some bad news to give you. The 24th of December will be my last day here at Payload Studios. I love working here and think you guys are a great community, but I'm moving to another studio closer to where I live which will save me 1.5 hours a day commute time, which is another 1.5 hours a day I can spend with my family and you can't put a price on that. Have no fear though, the team still have some great stuff planned for you and that'll still happen without me around, and I'm sure I'll check in on you guys from time to time.

I thought as now seems to be tradition (thanks @Django) I'd share a taste of what I've worked on over the last year and a half that I've been here.

Anti Gravity
Anti gravity was probably the most fun thing I've worked on during my career as a game dev, not just while here at Payload. It scratched my physics itch and was also incredibly challenging but fun to program. The scale of the system is bigger than anything I've done before. In theory each tech is 64x64x64 maximum on PC and can have 64x64x64 (262144) anti grav generators on it. Each of these generators can effect gravity on each filled cell of each block in the tech and adjust the gravity of that filled cell if it's within range. It was a huge challenge to code and most importantly just really fun to play with and as a concept. Also as a bonus I got to work on some cool experimental gravity weapons like the Zero Point gun, which I also recoded the bubble shader for (props to art for filling it with cool floating rocks). See the video from Lathrix below for some anti grav fun.

Custom Skins
I also had a lot of fun implementing Custom Skins, so you can all repaint your techs in fancy colours (and so we could provide the kickstarter backers their promised skins). This was quite a team effort, with Si doing a lot of the scary graphics work, art creating the skins and custom blocks and me doing a lot of the rest. I got to implement the first element of the new UI style, along with all the internals for custom skins, DLC to give out the kickstarter skins, as well as a system that auto generates the preview images for the UI. You can see Reaper messing around with it when it first released below

The New UI
This one has been a bit controversial, but personally I think making the UI consistent and modern looking is something to be proud of. I helped out here where Nadim needed code support and fixing bugs.

Console Versions
Just after I first joined we released the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game which I helped to finish off. I know a lot of you on the forums here are PC only players, but we're now on PC, PS4, Xbox One and Switch and it means that so many more people get to enjoy the game we all love and see all the work we put in as devs.

Flying AI and View Distance
This one isn't out in the wild yet, but a couple of months back we did a show and tell stream of some prototypes myself and Django had been working on, extending the view distance and trying out what flying AI might look like. I think for this one seeing is most of the pleasure so I'll just link the VoD of the steam below. View distance improvements should be with you soon (if not already? I'm a bit out of touch with where that's at) and the flying AI will hopefully one day make it from prototype to full blown feature.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/492281474?filter=archives&sort=time

Bugs
It often gets ignored but there's always a ton of work going on behind the scenes fixing bugs and making the game run quicker and be more stable. I've probably fixed a couple of hundred bugs in my time here.

Pet Tax
To end on a lighter note I thought I'd share some pictures of my pets. I got them both around the same time I joined Payload so they work as a good representation of the time I've spent here at Payload. So I introduce you to Kupo (the dog) and Morty (the cat).

That's all from me. I'm still around until the 24th December so feel free to hit me up on the forums or discord for anything. It'll be sad to go, but all things must come to an end. Hope you all have a good 2020 and you all enjoy what Payload has to come next year.

Seth_Seth

Casual Danmaku Crisis
Hi all,

I unfortunately have some bad news to give you. The 24th of December will be my last day here at Payload Studios. I love working here and think you guys are a great community, but I'm moving to another studio closer to where I live which will save me 1.5 hours a day commute time, which is another 1.5 hours a day I can spend with my family and you can't put a price on that. Have no fear though, the team still have some great stuff planned for you and that'll still happen without me around, and I'm sure I'll check in on you guys from time to time.

I thought as now seems to be tradition (thanks @Django) I'd share a taste of what I've worked on over the last year and a half that I've been here.

Anti Gravity
Anti gravity was probably the most fun thing I've worked on during my career as a game dev, not just while here at Payload. It scratched my physics itch and was also incredibly challenging but fun to program. The scale of the system is bigger than anything I've done before. In theory each tech is 64x64x64 maximum on PC and can have 64x64x64 (262144) anti grav generators on it. Each of these generators can effect gravity on each filled cell of each block in the tech and adjust the gravity of that filled cell if it's within range. It was a huge challenge to code and most importantly just really fun to play with and as a concept. Also as a bonus I got to work on some cool experimental gravity weapons like the Zero Point gun, which I also recoded the bubble shader for (props to art for filling it with cool floating rocks). See the video from Lathrix below for some anti grav fun.

Custom Skins
I also had a lot of fun implementing Custom Skins, so you can all repaint your techs in fancy colours (and so we could provide the kickstarter backers their promised skins). This was quite a team effort, with Si doing a lot of the scary graphics work, art creating the skins and custom blocks and me doing a lot of the rest. I got to implement the first element of the new UI style, along with all the internals for custom skins, DLC to give out the kickstarter skins, as well as a system that auto generates the preview images for the UI. You can see Reaper messing around with it when it first released below

The New UI
This one has been a bit controversial, but personally I think making the UI consistent and modern looking is something to be proud of. I helped out here where Nadim needed code support and fixing bugs.

Console Versions
Just after I first joined we released the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game which I helped to finish off. I know a lot of you on the forums here are PC only players, but we're now on PC, PS4, Xbox One and Switch and it means that so many more people get to enjoy the game we all love and see all the work we put in as devs.

Flying AI and View Distance
This one isn't out in the wild yet, but a couple of months back we did a show and tell stream of some prototypes myself and Django had been working on, extending the view distance and trying out what flying AI might look like. I think for this one seeing is most of the pleasure so I'll just link the VoD of the steam below. View distance improvements should be with you soon (if not already? I'm a bit out of touch with where that's at) and the flying AI will hopefully one day make it from prototype to full blown feature.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/492281474?filter=archives&sort=time

Bugs
It often gets ignored but there's always a ton of work going on behind the scenes fixing bugs and making the game run quicker and be more stable. I've probably fixed a couple of hundred bugs in my time here.

Pet Tax
To end on a lighter note I thought I'd share some pictures of my pets. I got them both around the same time I joined Payload so they work as a good representation of the time I've spent here at Payload. So I introduce you to Kupo (the dog) and Morty (the cat).

That's all from me. I'm still around until the 24th December so feel free to hit me up on the forums or discord for anything. It'll be sad to go, but all things must come to an end. Hope you all have a good 2020 and you all enjoy what Payload has to come next year.
;-;