Custom terrain generation.

Is custom map generation a good idea?

• Total voters

Shayne

I've been trundling round my world in a giant geocorp / GSO / experimental build for quite a while now, and it struggles to move, a lot of the time, due to the fact that wheels cannot climb extremely high / mountainous terrain, but that is the main terrain in the game. Especially surrounding salt flats, where I put most of my bases.
So I came up with an idea.

*insert epic voice here.* CUSTOM. TERRAIN. GENERATION! *cut epic voice*

Basically, the idea is for sliders to be added, in an extra little "advanced" panel, when you create a new world, where you can set the max height for mountains or hills, the frequency of hills or mountains in different biomes, and the frequency of biome spawns, including 0%, so you could have no desert, or no ice biomes, or no salt flats, etc. If you did not want to change it, you could leave the "advanced" tab alone, and leave the world to spawn with the current system.
(Maybe we could also set a minimum and maximum size of tech spawns, so we don't get huge techs that cannot traverse terrain at all, or tiny techs that provide no blocks. *although this could affect the starting tutorial, if spawns of techs that are below around 40 blocks are disabled*)

Personally, I believe that this would make story mode more entertaining, as you could have extremely tough terrain, to try and traverse with medium or small techs, or flatter, easier to traverse terrain, for huge techs with upwards of 50 wheels, or 20 tracks, etc. It would also be great fun for flyers, who could set the max mountain / hill height to something crazy, then create courses through the gaps in said mountains / hills, or you could create bases extending out from a huge cliff, then dive bomb some enemy techs below your base.

The only downside that I can really see this having, would be a slight lag problem on poorer PC's, if the settings were set too high, as it would cause the computer to try and load a large amount of terrain at once... although shortening the render distance could fix that.

If you have any different ideas, or issues with this post, please comment below.

thanks for taking the time to read.

shayne.

Shayne

I agree that this COULD break seeds, but if everything has a default option, set as it is now, then nothing should really break.

Zed

While I would like to see additional world generation customization (ala simcity) I agree that this would at the very least change the seed generation process and probably lengthen the seed entry itself in order to quantify any options offered by such world customization.

Regarding the difficulties you face getting around on the mountains I would suggest redesigning the drivetrain of your tech to include GeoCorp Jaws / Krusher wheels as they have the best traction in combination with GeoCorp Center Treads for their high torque. Additionally a GSO thruster system as hill assist is often quite practical.

Shayne

titan v2.png titan v3.png titan v4.png View attachment 15694
This is my current tech, it has no space for any extra wheels, and it has a HUGE amount of thrusters on the inside of it, to help it even attempt to get up mountains. also, none of the wheels are overloaded.

Shayne

this was the machine before I rebuilt it. It had the exact same problem as the current one, with the fact that it slid around as if on ice, wherever it went. Salt flats, ice biomes, etc. It never managed to climb up mountains, and struggled with slight hills. I don't have a screenshot of the tech before it had titan wheels mounted, but it originally had 8 geocorp bigboy wheels attached, which could just hold the weight of the tech. titan.png

Shayne

overkill mk2.png overkill .png This was my previous tech, before I built the 2 giant ones. The underside was almost entirely made out of geocorp middle tracks, with a 3 block wide hole in the center, to account for any blocks that got stuck underneath. This also had trouble getting over simple hills, and did not like climbing large mountains. It also had a huge amount of thrusters attached, to help it climb these hills.

Shayne

All of these machines have trouble getting onto hills, climbing cliffs or slopes that they could get onto, and having general sliding issues when off of those hills. The experimental wheels, I understand that they will have problems, but fully implemented wheels tracks should not have these issues.

ilikegoodfood

The experimental wheels, I understand that they will have problems, but fully implemented wheels tracks should not have these issues.
That's because the issue isn't with the wheels, nor any specific wheel.
The source of the issue is in the way the physics engine handles friction and contact between any "Wheel" or similar object and the ground. It may even extend to all objects, as blocks from destroyed techs also slide, not just wheels.

Zed

Ouch, my framerate drops just looking at that beast :)

I agree with @ilikegoodfood regarding the "slippery wheels" issue happening to nearly any wheel type of which GeoCorp Jaw seem most resistant against.

Think of it as the game engine is constantly checking the weight of the tech against the terratech terrain.

Shayne

Guess I have no option but to change to jaw wheels then. shame, because I really do not like the look of them, or how they handle.. but if it's a choice between having grip, and sliding all over the place, I guess imma have to use 'em.

*feels depressed*

Zed

Guess I have no option but to change to jaw wheels then. shame, because I really do not like the look of them, or how they handle.. but if it's a choice between having grip, and sliding all over the place, I guess imma have to use 'em.

*feels depressed*
I understand your consternation regarding the ingame equivalent of ice boots; keeping them on the interior under the tech (use the side anchor points of Geo Center Treads to attach the jaws / Krushers) to increase overall torque and use a GSO based booster / fuel system for increased top speed. :)

Captain Load

I recently encountered a tech quite similar to the utterly bonkers things posted here. However, I still beat it with maybe 30% of the guns and shields it had and even less compared to Shayne's creations (though it took about five minutes, LOL). I can appreciate pushing the limits but honestly, this is just complete overkill unless enemy techs of this class become common..which, come to think of it, is a possibility in multiplayer :eek:

OH and I love the idea of variable sliders for world generation. Sounds like something for the team to think about when we hit the middle beta stages.