Current state of Multiplayer -- January 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyons

Guess who's back. Back again
Maybe we should first make a co-op R&D so we can actually fly giant vehicle and have fun and fight eachother

Traveel

Maybe we should first make a co-op R&D so we can actually fly giant vehicle and have fun and fight eachother
But then people would spawn their most powerful biggest techs and crash the game.
Too bad I lost all my techs.

Lyons

But then people would spawn their most powerful biggest techs and crash the game.
Too bad I lost all my techs.
I mean maybe just like a two or three player thing. Maybe we could go and have some stuff like
Rounds where before the round we vote on the amount of money we'll have.
World limitations but still pretty large
Keep respawning until money runs out.

hay what about abandoning the whole battle royal fortnite thing and making actual multiplayer you know co-op that thing we used to have before battle royal

I want a fortnite like multiplayer
We vote on how much money we have. ranging from enough for small tech all the way to massive behemoths
It teleports us randomly to different parts of the map but we are still relatively close. We can then create techs with money or buy ones we have already made. The circle we are in starts to close in slowly. If you get out of the circle you have 10 seconds to get back in before you die!!!
*sobbing*
NO! NO! NO! ...just no
*sighs*
you know back when I was young we didn't have multiplayer and DLC wasn't a thing and loot crates were an end of mission reward and game devs didn't charge you a subscription fee to play the game you already paid for and its games like fortnite and battlefront that ruined that and people like you let them get away whith it by heralding a stupid low quality pile of trash as the new jesus

so hay what about abandoning the whole battle royal fortnite thing and making actual multiplayer you know co-op that thing we used to have before battle royal

Lost Ninja

*sobbing*
NO! NO! NO! ...just no
*sighs*
you know back when I was young we didn't have multiplayer and DLC wasn't a thing and loot crates were an end of mission reward and game devs didn't charge you a subscription fee to play the game you already paid for and its games like fortnite and battlefront that ruined that and people like you let them get away whith it by heralding a stupid low quality pile of trash as the new jesus

so hay what about abandoning the whole battle royal fortnite thing and making actual multiplayer you know co-op that thing we used to have before battle royal
Fortnite, PUBG, etc are not what ruined gaming (if such a thing is true). When I was young we had to load games from cassettes (or type them in manually from the program listed in magazines). Gaming has evolved into what it is now and I bet in ten years time there'll be people saying how when they were young everyone was doing battle royal and how games now are so much inferior to what they were when they were young.

As for the question you carefully didn't ask. The devs as I understand it do plan on adding a coop multiplayer (SMP) however they're concentrating on getting the game ready for release (end of summer) and pushing the solo play engine into cooperative play multiplayer is non-trivial. It'll come if they want the game to have any longevity, but don't hold your breath.

Khaine

Programming for kids (Circa 1960): How to bring about the machine apocalypse with your lightswitch! :p

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
Need I remind you that the first/oldest known computer is thousands of years old, and designed so accurately that it doesn't seem possible for it to have been made at the time. I'm talking about the Antikythera Mechanism again, by the way.

IBallistic Cheese

could we maybe have like factions servers that allows for coop and fighting? or even allow third party servers to develop the game further in other tangents while payload studios work on the core of the game.

Lost Ninja

Need I remind you that the first/oldest known computer is thousands of years old, and designed so accurately that it doesn't seem possible for it to have been made at the time. I'm talking about the Antikythera Mechanism again, by the way.
I'll remind you that the finest computer ever is in your (our) head(s) (the brain)... ;)

Lost Ninja

could we maybe have like factions servers that allows for coop and fighting? or even allow third party servers to develop the game further in other tangents while payload studios work on the core of the game.
IMO the game shouldn't be released until a full multiplayer server is ready but I suspect that the devs know more about how to release games than me... ;)

Once you have a stable underlying expandable multiplayer engine that can be modded then things like factions or any of the other various modes that people enjoy can be added. Going with a very small focus within MP like Battle Royal seems more like a proof of concept than true multiplayer.

Decent multiplayer is what will make or break the game though, the solo campaigns aren't bad - and getting better incrementally - but really anything longer that 8-10 hours of play and subsequent plays are very similar. Get the multiplayer right and you have interaction with other players, and that then becomes part of the game and that (unless you always play with the same people and they're boring people) will always give a different experience.

Add mods to that and while I doubt this game will ever rival Minecraft it could be very good (better than it is I mean).

Fortnite, PUBG, etc are not what ruined gaming (if such a thing is true). When I was young we had to load games from cassettes (or type them in manually from the program listed in magazines). Gaming has evolved into what it is now and I bet in ten years time there'll be people saying how when they were young everyone was doing battle royal and how games now are so much inferior to what they were when they were young.

As for the question you carefully didn't ask. The devs as I understand it do plan on adding a coop multiplayer (SMP) however they're concentrating on getting the game ready for release (end of summer) and pushing the solo play engine into cooperative play multiplayer is non-trivial. It'll come if they want the game to have any longevity, but don't hold your breath.
ok let me just clear up I enjoy the game and I find making complex sorting systems to store resources and craft new blocks etc but it said multiplayer not battle royal

I paid for three copies of the game for me and my friends because we wanted to play together just to find that I paid £45 for a "multiplayer" game that's not "multiplayer" its fortnite if I wanted to play fortnite id go scoop out half my brain then buy an Xbox and play fortnite

Sozin

Dog Emperor
I'd like to add that I was a bit leery about the existence of multiplayer from the start.

This, was when I still assumed "multiplayer" would be like Minecraft servers, where players can be creative or competitive together.

The reason? Because if you didn't plan for a game to be multiplayer from the start, editing it to make it multiplayer is extremely difficult: to the point that you may as well tear down the entire game engine and rebuild it from scratch (Assuming you're optimizing as you go. If you're not then you have no business being a game studio).

No matter how you cut it, proper multiplayer would have been a massive undertaking either way, so personally I felt it better to finish singleplayer, release the game, and then release multiplayer as a form of Terratech 2.0.
Rushing into it is a bit worrying, but if multiplayer is to be the new direction of the game, period, then fine. I can understand starting work earlier before the game is finalized because then you have less work to tear down and rebuild.

Note, that that is *entirely* separate from what we got.

Now, certain YouTubers may be far right ideologues, but that does not mean they do not have a point sometimes.
The point I'm talking about? Trying to appeal to "a wider audience" is often a signal of critical design failure.

You cannot please everyone. You'd have to be omnipotent, and perpetually mind control everyone to like you and everything associated with you to do so. Pick an audience, and tailor your game to them.

Why do I bring this up? In the game design phase, what you decide is 1) what form your game will take, and 2) what your target audience is.
Now, normally I'd say "make the best game you think is possible", but that kind of thinking leads to modern art. I have a less than charitable opinion of modern art. Some level of practicality is required, hence 2).

I did not realize TerraTech was designed as a game to appeal to the FortNite community. I did not realize it was supposed to be some sort of battle royale game. If that was how it was marketed, I would never have bought it. I bought it precisely because it looked to be a sandbox game, with some elements of combat thrown in. Because it was in a similar vein as From the Depths and Avorion, but filling a different niche (and actually runnable on my pc. cough FTD cough).

This seems to me like a reaaaally scummy move. If I didn't know this wasn't premeditated, I'd view this as a purposeful misdirection, and a masterful use of false advertising.

Step 1) Draw in the sandbox community by making a sandbox game
Step 2) Suddenly focus all efforts on battle royale to bring those players in
Step 3) Profit

I'm 98% certain that's not what happened, but most of the alternatives are worse.
1) This was just a standard game design decision (games change, after all, mostly out of necessity, and to make a better game)
2) You don't know the basic principles of game design (Pick something and stick with it, or you lose credibility with your original audience)
3) You're running out of funds and desperately needed multiplayer to attract more funds

Note, that I'm not criticizing the base game. I still think regular, singleplayer TerraTech is a great game. Multiplayer, eh maybe not so much, but I'm biased (I don't really like battle royale style games).
But what I am, is worried about the trend.

I have followed Robocraft since almost the beginning, and seen most of the changes.

-Robocraft started out, also as a niche game, and a damn good one too. Such a good one that I even spent money on it because it was *FUN.*
-Then they tried to attract a wider audience, so they vastly simplified and removed mechanics.
-The playerbase halved overnight.
-This repeated several times, with more really stupid moves

Even a steam release couldn't save them. I'd like to say I'm exaggerating, but queue times have gone up 3-4x since the old days. A predictable result of insulting your original playerbase so grandly is most of it abandoning you.

-With funds drying up, and a steady decline in playerbase, the studio eventually implemented the ultimate scummy cash grab: loot boxes
-Holy shit the amount of flak that received is rivaled only by the amount of flak they got when they got rid of skill
-And maybe when they cracked down on dissent, and any negative comment was declared a target for removal by new forum policy
-Now, over a year later, they have to combine Robocraft with their planned next project: Robocraft Infinity, because the game(s) are literally dying and their credibility is shot to ****

I've seen it happen once to a game I liked, I don't want to see something similar happen to TerraTech.
Do I see a problem? Yes.
Is it a real problem? Maybe.
Do I have a solution? No. That's your job as the game developers.

Last edited:

Lyons

I'd like to add that I was a bit leery about the existence of multiplayer from the start.

This, was when I still assumed "multiplayer" would be like Minecraft servers, where players can be creative or competitive together.

The reason? Because if you didn't plan for a game to be multiplayer from the start, editing it to make it multiplayer is extremely difficult: to the point that you may as well tear down the entire game engine and rebuild it from scratch (Assuming you're optimizing as you go. If you're not then you have no business being a game studio).

No matter how you cut it, proper multiplayer would have been a massive undertaking either way, so personally I felt it better to finish singleplayer, release the game, and then release multiplayer as a form of Terratech 2.0.
Rushing into it is a bit worrying, but if multiplayer is to be the new direction of the game, period, then fine. I can understand starting work earlier before the game is finalized because then you have less work to tear down and rebuild.

Note, that that is *entirely* separate from what we got.

Now, certain YouTubers may be far right ideologues, but that does not mean they do not have a point sometimes.
The point I'm talking about? Trying to appeal to "a wider audience" is often a signal of critical design failure.

You cannot please everyone. You'd have to be omnipotent, and perpetually mind control everyone to like you and everything associated with you to do so. Pick an audience, and tailor your game to them.

Why do I bring this up? In the game design phase, what you decide is 1) what form your game will take, and 2) what your target audience is.
Now, normally I'd say "make the best game you think is possible", but that kind of thinking leads to modern art. I have a less than charitable opinion of modern art. Some level of practicality is required, hence 2).

I did not realize TerraTech was designed as a game to appeal to the FortNite community. I did not realize it was supposed to be some sort of battle royale game. If that was how it was marketed, I would never have bought it. I bought it precisely because it looked to be a sandbox game, with some elements of combat thrown in. Because it was in a similar vein as From the Depths and Avorion, but filling a different niche (and actually runnable on my pc. cough FTD cough).

This seems to me like a reaaaally scummy move. If I didn't know this wasn't premeditated, I'd view this as a purposeful misdirection, and a masterful use of false advertising.

Step 1) Draw in the sandbox community by making a sandbox game
Step 2) Suddenly focus all efforts on battle royale to bring those players in
Step 3) Profit

I'm 98% certain that's not what happened, but most of the alternatives are worse.
1) This was just a standard game design decision (games change, after all, mostly out of necessity, and to make a better game)
2) You don't know the basic principles of game design (Pick something and stick with it, or you lose credibility with your original audience)
3) You're running out of funds and desperately needed multiplayer to attract more funds

Note, that I'm not criticizing the base game. I still think regular, singleplayer TerraTech is a great game. Multiplayer, eh maybe not so much, but I'm biased (I don't really like battle royale style games).
But what I am, is worried about the trend.
Answers. Still a sandbox. Battle Royale is a different mode. Doesn't give you anything different in game. ALSO NOT A BATTLE ROYALE. More like a deathmatch. You respawn and there is no last man standing. You don't have to play multiplayer but in case you haven't noticed this whole thread is the community pressuring them for multiplayer

SF Squiggy

Before I got TerraTech, i thought it was multiplayer - (Co-op campaign). I was pretty disappointed when I learned that it was just single player. I know u guys have said that the code doesn't really support co-op campaign, but is there really no way to do it? Also, if there is going to be death match, then why is there no multiplayer sumo?

Status
Not open for further replies.