Crafting Tweaks and Block Suggestions

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
Hey!

On this thread I'll address a few issues in crafting that can be fixed either by small QoL changes or by adding new blocks. I'll try to make this in case study format, some people seem to like it more.

Case 1: A Snapshot With Large Numbers of Blocks

Imagine you made a damn cool tech in creative mode. And you're rich and/or full of stored resources in campaign.
What you do? You'll try to load this snapshot in campaign, of course!
But then... you need 654 of that block. 322 of another block. And 78 of that other one.
But wait... you have only small numbers of these! WHAT TO DO NOW?

• WILL YOU CRAFT 654 BLOCKS?
  • WILL YOU BUY 322 BLOCKS?
And there comes the biggest issue. Neither options are good!

Imagine you have a deadly efficient crafting base, and you set your crafting stations to work on repeat. Even then, it will take a lot of time to make a few hundreds of blocks, no matter how basic it is. And when to stop? Oh wait, there is no numerical input for requesting fixed quantities of blocks!
But you're rich and you got a terminal, so lets click 322 times the buying button! OH NO MY WRIST HURTS NOW FROM CLICKING SO MUCH! BECAUSE IT LACKS NUMERICAL INPUT FOR BUYING BLOCKS, POOR WRIST! (yes there has to be some dramatization, and yes I had wrist pain several times from this)

-So, Rafs, what are your simple and much needed solutions?

-Add numerical inputs for fabricators and terminals!

-But can it be better than that?

-YES! With a couple new blocks that integrate fabricators and terminals respectively on the bases that have them, in a single UI for each!

-ELABORATE!

GSO Fabrication Commander Block

A grade 5 block that comes with a new UI, integrating all fabricators in your crafting base. How it works:

1. It detects all fabricators in your base.
  2. Its UI shows all craftable blocks from these fabricators, with a tab for each corporation.
  3. You can set up a quantity of blocks to be made, for a selected block.
  4. You can select more than one block from the same corp, even if you have only one fabricator for it.
  5. The Fabrication Commander will add all orders to a queue list, where you can change numbers, cancel, or move the order up or down in priority.
  6. There's also a Snapshots tab where you can click a snapshot and have the Fabrication Commander try to fabricate the difference between the blocks you need and the blocks you got in your inventory, generating orders automatically.

This sounds good, right? One of the biggest QoL changes possible for crafting in Terratech, and not so complicated, you just need a good UI design and smart programming to integrate features and mechanics we already have in the game.

GSO Terminal Central Block

A grade 5 Block that features a large interactive panel. What it does?

1. It detects all terminals in your base.
  2. Its UI shows buyable blocks like a terminal, with a tab for each corporation (like a creative mode menu).
  3. At the bottom, there is the simple buy block button, but also the buy [blank space] and "confirm" button.
  4. The [blank space] can only be filled with numbers, from 0 to 999.
  5. When confirm is clicked, items will start spawning as usual, as if someone was clicking the simple buy button very fast.

This will make buying a much more precise and less click heavy activity. And you don't need to go on clicking on each of those small terminal screens each time you want something, use the central instead, which features a much larger panel, easier to click from a distance.

This solves our case, and now the player (me) can happily load its snapshots in campaign. Even a snapshot with 5200 of a block like the Factory Complex I made this week.

Case 2: Mixed Filtering

Imagine you want to filter specific resources but then you don't have space for so many filters. Like you want to fill silos with components grouped by complexicity, or you want 5 refined resources going a way and 6 the other way, or you want to let only oleite and fibron pass to fuel your generators but the space is very small, or you want a non-fuel filter (where a fuel filter and a straight line may fail because of clogging or filter jumping bug).

What can be done to fix this issue, with a simple UI?

A checkbox filter!

GSO Selection Filter Conveyor

A filter that displays a single UI, with checkboxes for all resources. That way selected resources are whitelisted, while unselected resources are blacklisted. Comes with a select/deselect all button. Very very simple and amazingly functional!

Another case solved!

Rafs

Case 3: Massive Scrapping Operation

Imagine you got 1000 GSO one blocks in your inventory after a long playthrough without scrapping anything. What to do? Will you click and spawn these blocks 900 times?
What to do with your other 700 GSO two blocks, or 300 Geocorp basic blocks? What about the hundreds of gso wheels?

We need an UI for block scrapping that doesn't clog the screen with blocks flying around and being loosely picked by several magnets, and we need to stop with the clickfest. I'm going to suggest a block that is similar to the Geocorp Silo on this reply but extended for all other blocks, not only resource blocks.

GSO Universal Inventory Scrapper

A large scrapper block that has a special UI where you select blocks from inventory and the quantity you want scrapped. Lets explain it:

1. You place this block with the red output space facing a conveyor, like any other scrapper.
  2. It detects all scrappers of all corps on the same base, as well as other universal inventory scrappers.
  3. Clicking it will display an UI with your inventory blocks (with tabs for each corp you have a scrapper from), and a button below for "Scrap it!" or Scrap [blank space] and "Confirm".
  4. [blank space] will accept numbers between 0 and 999.
  5. The scrapping order will be added to a queue list (with cancel, change number and drag up down for priority).
  6. The scrapper will start scrapping these blocks internally, on sequence, distributing the order for all universal scrappers.

That way you don't need to click so many times and spam blocks around, risking lag your game, and having them fly away because you spawned one inside of another one and PHYSICS, you know. Scrapping can be a clunky hell, but with this block, these issues are gone.
Also, this block could be given to Junkers, but seeing the urge we have for implementing this, GSO is okay too.

And another case solved!

That's all, what do you people think?
What other issues and clunky mechanics you're finding in crafting and related stuff?

Share your ideas and feedback too! Thanks!

eddie

Forever thonk, dis is ma philosophy
Yep, this leads to smarter, faster and more compact factory system designs, also more graphic efficient if paired with static silo!
I often feel that using the factory system is way less efficient than just max your level and use the terminal, but even with the terminal, it's still a hard grind, if this could happen, it will make player want to use the factory system more often.
Definitely a must-have

Last edited:

Rafs

Another nice tweak would be increasing the distance for the BF Receiver capturing a block shoot from a Delivery Cannon.
From my tests, this distance is 20 blocks (5 long Geocorp blocks). At any distance higher than this, the resource is sold instead.
This small distance leads to some bizarre staircase builds on the side of large stones and ruins, from people trying to take advantage of the feature but failing miserably, as they need to repeat the receiver/cannon pattern every 20 blocks.
The same issue happens with sky anchored bases, and now that the tether length will be increased to 80 blocks, the problem will he even more noticeable.

My solution to this problem is greatly increasing the working BF receiver capture range.
100 blocks or higher would help a lot.
Is this feasible?

This would also let me greatly increase the Chunkball Minigame stadium size (maybe even adding more players), as it i slimited by the distance from Cannon to Receiver, that can't exceed 20 blocks.

Last edited:

Wassaup

Crafting computer block and Shopping manager block:
Yes! All of it! In my face!

Multi-filter:
As long as this convenience comes with an appropriately hefty price-tag, sure, I can dig it!

Auto-scrapper:
If I understand correctly, this block is where all the broken down resources would come from, while the corp specific scrappers would only work as authorization. I think, this might be a bit too simplistic. Instead, this should work like your other computer blocks, so the actual scrapping would still happen in the scrappers.

BF mobile delivery cannon:
I would keep this topic quiet, or else the devs might "fix" it.

Side Note: these computer blocks would really fit Legion Corp, thematically speaking.

gwlegion

i agree with all af that, except bf receiver...
i don't see the interest of that block. if i want to transfer ressource for one place to another, i package them at the start, and dcrap them at the arrival.

a good thing that could be done is container for a single ressource, but i can make it by modding.

Rafs

Ok seems nobody understood the BF receiver to delivery cannon tweak. This has nothing to do with the BF Delivery Cannon.
This has only to do with the distance the Receiver capture mechanic works. It is already in the game. I asked for a simple buff in distance (from 20 blocks to 100 or more blocks). Just that.
It is a way to increase the usefulness of a recently added mechanic, a welcome tweak by all means, and simple.

It is not possible to coordinate other normal scrappers, unless you're automatically spawning the blocks to be scrapped right above them as they finish releasing their resources. I though this would look weird so I skipped that. But it is possible.

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I especially like the direct-from-inventory scrapper idea.

I might add another idea which is mobile scrappers, and possibly a universal scrapper (maybe an idea for junkers, hmmm?). Personally the job I'd like to perform most is the ability to clean up the area around my base and direct sell everything immediately without having to anchor/unanchor constantly or try to transport everything with the Katamari Damacy magnets.

Nerf Craft

YES YES YES! If these happen I might ACTUALLY USE CRAFTING BASES! WE NEED THESE! If these don't happen fabricators will become OBSOLETE! JUST YES!