Crafting improvements following forum feedback.

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
Hi guys,

We've been paying very close attention to the crafting discussion threads that have been popping up following recent changes. We sat around a table yesterday and discussed all of the points raised by you guys and have decided to head in a few directions to hopefully solve some of the existing issues :)

It's too soon to go into much detail, but I wanted to give you guys a couple points that were decided upon.

Frame rate issues.
  • Resources in holding beams will have their physics turned off to improve frame rate issues on large bases.
  • @Pink Kitty 's Treasure Blocks will be implemented.
The point of Crafting.
  • 'Shiny/Buffed blocks' that can only be made by being crafted to be added.
  • Undiscovered blocks of the relevant grade can be crafted.
Quality of life improvements.
  • Fabricators will be able to call from/through Component Factories.
  • A Block will be added that will speed up/slow down the heartbeat of the Tech it is attached to.
  • Adding various recipe/ingredient tracking improvements.
  • Make components easier to differentiate from each other/look more like the roles they play in recipes.
We're not in a position to go into too much detail on any of these points yet - but feel free to add your questions and concerns below :)

Nocallia

Administrator
Aug 7, 2015
Elsewhere
Will crafting recipes still be about the same as before?

Will any blocks that we have currently be turned into a crafting exclusive block?

How big will the resource blocks be?

Would the crafting exclusive blocks on a CC be rejected from the community?

May you PLEASE make the sell value of the treasure blocks be equal to the sell value of the resources in them?

Will there be Component Treasure blocks?

But I cannot wait for the updates. I just want to raise some questions that might seem small, but could be important.

-Baconus

Last edited:
Reactions: s60team

Zargn

Administrator
Nov 30, 2015
Sweden
Probably to early for you to answer this but, when do you think these things will be in-game?

And Shiny/buffed blocks, what are they?
Just shiny versions of regular blocks? Or more powerful ones?

Anyway, sounds great, keep up the good work. :)

Reactions: Zed and Nocallia

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
Will crafting recipes still be about the same as before?
Crafting recipes are constantly in flux. Probably always will be.
Will any blocks that we have currently be turned into a crafting exclusive block?
Possibly. Too soon to tell.
How big will the resource blocks be?
Treasure blocks? Too soon to tell. Big enough to be a nuisance to carry multiple treasure blocks.
Component Chunks? Probably the same size they are now.
Would the crafting exclusive blocks on a CC be rejected from the community?
No. If we feel as if they shouldn't be scavenged from battle - then we can make them explode upon detachment. The current thinking is that they should be obtained from battle, but that may change.
May you PLEASE make the sell value of the treasure blocks be equal to the sell value of the resources in them?
The resources will be crafted into a 'block' -- which will adhere to the usual rules of selling blocks (reduced value). You'll have to do something to make good money here guys ;)

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Frame rate issues.
  • Resources in holding beams will have their physics turned off to improve frame rate issues on large bases.
  • @Pink Kitty 's Treasure Blocks will be implemented.
The point of Crafting.
  • 'Shiny/Buffed blocks' that can only be made by being crafted to be added.
  • Undiscovered blocks of the relevant grade can be crafted.
Quality of life improvements.
  • Fabricators will be able to call from/through Component Factories.
  • A Block will be added that will speed up/slow down the heartbeat of the Tech it is attached to.
  • Adding various recipe/ingredient tracking improvements.
  • Make components easier to differentiate from each other/look more like the roles they play in recipes.
We're not in a position to go into too much detail on any of these points yet - but feel free to add your questions and concerns below :)
Good initial list of improvements; quick question regarding the block to increase / decrease heartrate since it is still in the concept stage. Perhaps it would be better to have the block only impact the block to which it is attached on the same tech (local effect) as opposed to a global effect and to relegate such a crafting block to only impact other crafting blocks and to make certain the heartbeat block itself only has a single anchor point.

On a broader introspection of crafting in general some improvements should also be made to the conveyor side of the equation and other blocks which already exist; were items such as Venture conveyors being converted into tubes covered in the "crafting roundtable" meeting? I also came up with a list of suggestions pertaining to the GSO side of crafting here for consideration.

Another quick question; have the stat bonuses for "shiny" blocks being random in nature (both positive and negative) been discussed or static bonuses which are uniform?

Nocallia

Administrator
Aug 7, 2015
Elsewhere
Crafting recipes are constantly in flux. Probably always will be.

The resources will be crafted into a 'block' -- which will adhere to the usual rules of selling blocks (reduced value). You'll have to do something to make good money here guys ;)
Ok. I will now ask 4 more questions.

Will Erudian, Ignian, and Celestian ever have different prices? I am not complaining, but I see it weird they all have the same sell prices.

Will Treasure blocks be for only raw resources, or refined as well?

How many attachment points will the block have? I want to make the city of Ignite

How many resources will be in one Treasure block?

-Baconus

Reactions: Zargn

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
Will Erudian, Ignian, and Celestian ever have different prices? I am not complaining, but I see it weird they all have the same sell prices.
The way I see it, the prices of resources should reflect how easy it is to get them. That means considering the rarity, which depends on where they are found and how often they are found in those places. It would also mean considering the ease of harvesting them, whether the biome is difficult to traverse or not.

So, basically:

wood < rubber < seam resources < luxite < other crystals

Start all the grouped ones out equally valuable, adjust to reflect rarity and ease.

I am not really sure how the biomes are distributed, whether they all have the same probability or not. Salt Flats seem the least common, but that could just be a result of the size of the other biomes, as salt flats are usually pretty small. Either way, that would lead to celestite being a little less common than the rest. However, salt flats are definitely the easiest biomes to travel in. Maybe it balances out?

Reactions: Nocallia

Nocallia

Administrator
Aug 7, 2015
Elsewhere

Start all the grouped ones out equally valuable, adjust to reflect rarity and ease.
There is one problem. Luxite sells for less then the seam resources. I agree that they might be equally priced for that reason. It just now seems weird that Luxite has a lower sell price. I can see why though.

Speaking of Luxite, will the Luxite Treasure block glow?

-Baconus

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
The way I see it, the prices of resources should reflect how easy it is to get them. That means considering the rarity, which depends on where they are found and how often they are found in those places. It would also mean considering the ease of harvesting them, whether the biome is difficult to traverse or not.

So, basically:

I am not really sure how the biomes are distributed, whether they all have the same probability or not. Salt Flats seem the least common, but that could just be a result of the size of the other biomes, as salt flats are usually pretty small. Either way, that would lead to celestite being a little less common than the rest. However, salt flats are definitely the easiest biomes to travel in. Maybe it balances out?
While the four primary resource groups are in the correct order based on my experience based on multiple seeds (which affect which biomes spawn where and how often) Ignite seems far rarer than Celestite and is far less likely to respawn in the same location. Base building in biomes other than salt flats requires tower designs though it would be nice to have a little more topographical variety to desert biomes seeing as I will end up migrating there.

P

Pink Kitty

Woohoo!

That's so many improvements!
Esp the heartbeat!
Now that is something that i want :)

@streak1 I immagine there will be some dark patch on the ground, or some kind of special surface feature, like the steamer rocks.

from the stream, they mentioned oleite and some others. i imagine carbius and other sorta-rare common materials will be included.

You can get a basic fabrication chain up and running without oleite and carbius i think.

@zanzistar On a side note, i don't know if the crystals are meant to be 'rare' or whatever, but i find them significantly more 'common' than anything else, for one simple reason: they are easier to get.

for example: you discover a need for carbius. How do you get it? You wander around at random, checking rocks and mistaking the black seam for shadows, or vice versa. This takes a while, unless you get lucky.

How do you get ignite? Go to desert. Head for nearest spiky orange crystal. done.

Until we get the resource scanner, crystals are easier, simply because we always know where to find them, and they can be ID'd at max render distance.

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Woohoo!

That's so many improvements!
Esp the heartbeat!
Now that is something that i want :)

@streak1 I immagine there will be some dark patch on the ground, or some kind of special surface feature, like the steamer rocks.

from the stream, they mentioned oleite and some others. i imagine carbius and other sorta-rare common materials will be included.

You can get a basic fabrication chain up and running without oleite and carbius i think.

@zanzistar On a side note, i don't know if the crystals are meant to be 'rare' or whatever, but i find them significantly more 'common' than anything else, for one simple reason: they are easier to get.

for example: you discover a need for carbius. How do you get it? You wander around at random, checking rocks and mistaking the black seam for shadows, or vice versa. This takes a while, unless you get lucky.

How do you get ignite? Go to desert. Head for nearest spiky orange crystal. done.

Until we get the resource scanner, crystals are easier, simply because we always know where to find them, and they can be ID'd at max render distance.
Glad to hear your treasure boxes will be incorporated to help transport resources :)

Regarding Ignite for the past couple of seeds I've noticed that it does not respawn in the same location after you've harvested the crystals, hence the comment.

For the time being if a specific resource is needed many times its easier to scavenge parts / buy them and salvage the blocks for the needed resources.

P

Pink Kitty

@Zed huh. I was not aware of that.

TBH, i was not likely to notice.
Even scrapping is a pain, because you have to hunt through the fabber menu to find out what blocks have what resources under the new menu.
and thanks to components, it ain't many.

Generally easier to go get some crystals.

Chrii_the_Vieh

Oct 26, 2015
Germland Institute in Scotmany
Resources in holding beams will have their physics turned off to improve frame rate issues on large bases.
As we won't be able to peel/shear resources from conveyors, we will need a "dropper-block".
Will we get one, please?

Block will be added that will speed up/slow down the heartbeat of the Tech it is attached to.
I guess the "heartbeat" is the speed of ticks on a tech, which means speeding up resources on conveyors???
Will that affect filters on blocks, which take up resources/components too?

Additional question: What about resource-silos, stacking of resources/components and resource/component SCU/mass-storage?

Thanks for the feedback! It's great to get that kind of information from you. More please!

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
As I have mentioned in other posts, I think that a dropper block would be really useful. Either that, or let us use conveyors to add resources to collectors. Both would meet the task: an easy way to output resources.

Something along those lines would give us an easy way to fuel furnace generators on mobile techs, as well as letting us make multi-tech factory setups if we wanted to.