Crafting base wont work

I don't know what is going on, but I spent like 2 hours trying to build this crafting base and it won't "connect" to the resource silos when I try to craft anything. Any help would be great, here is a snapshot:

Attachments

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
it won't "connect" to the resource silos when I try to craft anything
Yeah, as you say, that sounds like the conveyor route being too long and/or too many component factories in between, which shortens effective length, as do conveyor loops.

Did you already find my crafting guide on Steam, for recommended workarounds and such? (Spoiler, it's mostly about keeping things small, in my opinion.) I might take a quick look at your snapshot later to confirm this (no promises).

OK. Thanks. Is 8 component factories too much for about 50 6-pack mixed lotsa silos? I am using your compact component crafting method, twice in a row

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Hmm...

You have a lot of silos, but your resources can't get out of any of them. Filters only go one direction - your fabricators cannot see any of your silos. Put a conveyor segment pointing out of each silo back to the main conveyor (next to the filter, pointing the opposite direction).

Otherwise, this actually looks pretty good. Double check your filter settings though.

You also may experience clogs at your refineries. The refineries process slower than the conveyors, and if the conveyor is occupied, your refineries will just get jammed up.

Your conveyor-spiral towers are cool looking, but you haven't allowed room for the resource chunks which will float above the conveyor. They may get knocked off - it can be hit and miss depending on how things flow.

Lastly, while this base will work in principle (with the changes I mentioned), it will be very very very laggy. Simplify by reducing bubble count, and read ZeroGravitas' crafting guide for more tips on how to make a lag free base. Keep in mind that your computer has to render each resource chunk individually. You have space for thousands and thousands of resources, which will cause lag.

A well designed base will be able to craft any block with 7 component factories.

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Keep working at it! Like ZG said, try making things smaller. There's been a lot of crafting base questions recently, so peruse this forum for more tips. 3- and 4-way junctions also have very specific behavior.

Saelem Black

7? Don't you mean 4.
That's actually an interesting topic of conversation. It's true you can craft any block with only 4, but in order to craft an exotic component, you have to manually control your factories. In other words, if you just order your GSO fabricator to make a megaton cannon (or any block requiring an exotic component) it will choke on the proxima dark if you only have 4 component factories. You'll have to make the proxima dark manually.

If you have 7 (set up correctly), the system will make exotic components without requiring player input. Meaning no micromanagement required to make that megaton.

The reason for this is because component factories don't understand sequential orders. They will only work if they can craft the entire recipe at once. Now that i think about it, you could probably do exotic crafting with only 6 factories. All exotics require one complex component and one advanced component. It takes 3 factories to make a complex, and 2 factories to make an advanced, and 1 factory at the top of the pyramid for the exotic, totaling 6 factories.

That's actually an interesting topic of conversation. It's true you can craft any block with only 4, but in order to craft an exotic component, you have to manually control your factories. In other words, if you just order your GSO fabricator to make a megaton cannon (or any block requiring an exotic component) it will choke on the proxima dark if you only have 4 component factories. You'll have to make the proxima dark manually.

If you have 7 (set up correctly), the system will make exotic components without requiring player input. Meaning no micromanagement required to make that megaton.

The reason for this is because component factories don't understand sequential orders. They will only work if they can craft the entire recipe at once. Now that i think about it, you could probably do exotic crafting with only 6 factories. All exotics require one complex component and one advanced component. It takes 3 factories to make a complex, and 2 factories to make an advanced, and 1 factory at the top of the pyramid for the exotic, totaling 6 factories.
Both items contain Proxima darks.

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
MY fab bases only have FOUR component factories (one with no dongle, one simple dongle , one advanced dongle and one exotic dongle) and they have no issues with fabricatiing ANY block (including the payload terminals) as long as they have the resources needed for the components and in the recipee

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
7 component factories.
7? Don't you mean 4.
Yeah. 4 is the bare minimum under perfect conditions. Sorry, I let this one slide.

It's only 6 or 7 CFs if your Fabricators can't see a refinery output (this bug report). Check from around 21m23s in this guide video:

Also section 7 of my guide.

1191458767_preview_2018-08-24 Minimum CompFact with dongle labled 2.jpg

Note that if (four) CFs both sides of conveyor then dongles must be perfectly positioned. And Fabricator must also be attached to tech las to avoid spurious resources bug.

Well, look on the bright side. You've just witnessed an occurrence so rare that you'll be able to amaze your grand kids one day by telling the story. My being right about something is so rare that we will probably never witness it again in our lifetimes. Statistically you stand a better chance of witnessing Bigfoot make a blindfolded full-court swish on Christmas eve than it ever happening again.