Couple more control blocks to make hovertechs even more awesome

Zorgomol

Not a Number
Joined
Apr 9, 2018
Messages
198
Likes
351
Points
270
#1
Have these been suggested before? Probably... at least the latter, in some form.

Better Future Air Brake Automation Computer (ABAC)

Air brakes are a bit meh right now since apparently the only time they come alive is when you have stabilizing computer and let go of controls entirely. The ABAC takes over air brakes and will try to cancel any motion vector the player is not actively going for. That is, sideways air brakes are on if player isn't turning/strafing, etc. 1x1x1 block.

Better Future Fly-By-Wire Computer

This is the thing people hoped that the Stabilizing Computer would be. A bigger (2x2x1) and more expensive block. Should need a Seed AI or two to build. This will try to actively cancel any undesired movement or rotation vector using air brakes and adjustment thrusters. As a drawback, it reserves 20% of adjustment thruster power for its own operation; that is, adjustment thrusters are effectively 20% weaker for player to control.
- Affects only air brakes and adjustment thrusters. This makes it somewhat weaker than Stabilizing Computer at holding a tech in place.
-
Only useful on hovertechs and possibly helicopters.
- Will effectively try to cancel out lateral drift, slope drift, tipping over, and center-of-mass drift while turning in place.
- Can use 100% of adjustment thruster power, but lets player control only 80% directly. For instance, when turning, adjustment thrusters fire at 80% to execute the turn and use remaining 20% to reduce drifting. Although I suppose this ratio could be adjustable sorta like the hover power controller.
- Quite useful on large ponderous hovertechs where tail wings and such don't do much good at all.
 

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Joined
Jul 23, 2018
Messages
409
Likes
1,205
Points
200
#2
We'd only really introduce something like this to 'fix' an existing issue.

Take the original Stabilising Computer for example. It was added to 'fix' the older Hover Blocks, like GSO and Venture, so they behaved like the Better Future hovers. There was an identified need for that block to be added.

The examples you've given above, as awesome as they are, don't really pin point a real issue that needs 'fixing'.
 

Zorgomol

Not a Number
Joined
Apr 9, 2018
Messages
198
Likes
351
Points
270
#3
Issue #1 : air brakes are dead weight most of the time, as far as I have observed. Frankly they should not even need the computer, since currently they appear completely useless without having at least a Stabilizing Computer.

Issue #2: massive hovertechs, such as a full-fledged mobile crafting base on top of Fortress Hovers or any GeoCorp are extremely cumbersome to maneuver even when stacked with dozens of Jetson Adjustment Thrusters, and on/off keyboard controls do not really cut it, especially when you have a good number of resources in silos or collectors taking their toll on the framerate. In general, adjustment thrusters and such feel sorely underpowered compared to the lifting power of the large hoverplates.

Issue #3: precise maneuvering (as in precise enough to get a resource collector in range of a receiver) on a hovertech is only possible on very flat and even terrain, because Stabilizing Computer switches off the moment you touch any movement control and the tech starts immediately drifting downhill.
 
Likes: Sea_Kerman