Corporation Base Blocks

ilikegoodfood

Oct 9, 2014
United Kingdom
I know that there is no immediate intention of creation conveyors, collectors and everything else for all of the separate corporations, beyond fabricators and scrappers, but a discussion of what they might look like and how they might behave should still be productive, and hopefully fun. So here is how I see the various corporations' base blocks:

Conveyor:
  • GeoCorp - Planned, twin lanes (2 by 2), heavyGSO - Already exists, basic.
  • Hawkeye - Armored tube similar to the Conveyor Tubes from Space Engineers. Resources don't "hang" from vertical or upside-down belts and cannot be grabbed or shot. No top or bottom and will output to any attached conveyor or block, regardless of which edge of the tube it is connected to.
  • Reticlue Research - Energy Conveyors, expensive, comprised of Nodes. 3 by 3 by 1 hollow ring. When placed it checks for matching conveyor Nodes within 10 blocks and, if found, extends energy conveyor between them. Graphically similar to the holding beam used by other conveyors, the resources float along the path. Corner Nodes are 3 by 3 by 3, graphically the same as the Nodes, but aligned at 45 degrees. (See comment for artwork)
  • Venture - Already exists, lightweight, doesn't loose items at high speed.

Conveyor Utilities:
  • GeoCorp - Alternators and filters have a handling capacity of 4 items and will send them through as a batch. An alternator would therefore send 4 chunks left, then 4 chunks right, instead of 1 at a time.
  • Hawkeye - Re-skin of Alternators and Filters.
  • Reticlue Research - Alternators and Filters are 3 by 3 by 3 Nodes, with 6 possible paths. Graphically six joined Nodes forming a cube. Filters will filter each face seperatly, with one face being allocated default, allowing for 4 filtered directions, input and output on a single Filter. Alternators will both accept from and output to multiple sides. (See comment for artwork)
  • Venture - Re-skin of Alternators and Filters.

Mobile Refinery:
  • (EXCLUSIVE) Venture - Lightweight, half-speed, expensive, low health.

Mobile Scrapper:
  • (EXCLUSIVE) Space Junkers - Block crusher (img) and silo combined. All blocks that are pulled into it are scrapped and the resources placed into the attached silo.
Refinery:
  • GeoCorp - Huge refinery handles any 4 resource chunks simultaneously
  • GSO - Already exists, basic.
  • Venture - Lightweight, half-speed, low health.

Rotating Anchor:
  • GeoCorp - 2 by 2 by 2, slightly reduced rotation rate.
  • GSO - Already Exists, basic.
  • Hawkeye - 2 by 1 by 1, armored.
  • Reticule Research - 3 by 3 by 1 Hover Anchor. A large, high stability, high capacity hover panel designed to keep bases suspended over the ground. Will not allow sideways movement.
  • Venture - 1 by 1 by 1, slightly increased rotation rate.

Scrap Magnet:
  • GeoCorp - Flat Magnet, high range , high capacity. 4 by 4 by 2 magnet that attracts blocks to one of the large sides only. Allows for large scale collection and precise control over where the scrap is held.
  • GSO - Already exists, basic.
  • Venture - Lightweight, low capacity, immediate pickup. Picks up items in passing, even at high speed.

SCU:

@Geocorp Jumper has just posted a thread detailing his own ideas for corporation specific SCUs. They are all excellent ideas and I feel no need to duplicate the discussion, so please go discus that on his thread.

Silos:

• GeoCorp - Very high capacity, heavy
  • GSO - Already Exists, basic.
  • Hawkeye - Sealed box with input and output port, only one resource type, inbuilt filter menu. Resources are not rendered inside the silo, only listed. A single resource of the type contained withing the box can be grabbed from the output port, where it is rendered.
  • Venture - Lightweight, low capacity, doesn't loose items at high speed.

Static Generator:
  • GeoCorp - Already Exists: Geothermal Generator. Dependent on building at a geothermal vent.
  • GSO - Already exists: Static Furnace Generator
  • Reticule Research - Lightning Rod, 1 by 1 by 5. A very tall, slender lightning rod that draws energy from storms. Very high output, only functional during storms.
  • Venture - Vertical-Axis Wind Turbine (img). Dependent on variable wind, so works about 50% of the time. Does not work during storms.

Not every corporation needs one of everything, so some items, like the mobile scrapper, are marked as (EXCLUSIVE). Similarly, Hawkeye does not have a Scrap magnet listed despite being the corporation that specializes in destroying other techs.
Personally I feel that Hawkeye needs another way to make money from it's kills. I would do this by adding "Bounty" quests to Hawkeye, which involve destroying a number of techs in a difficult fight, and receiving huge cash rewards instead of blocks.
This is by no means an exhaustive list and is currently dominated by existing corporations, but I'll see about fleshing it out as we all get talking.

Last edited:

Anthony_Palmer

Dec 8, 2016
If storms will not damage blocks, turbine must work at its maximum, maybe at least five times more productive than usually, due to cubic dependence of power on wind speed (in real life, of course), so, storms can be unfrequent but powerful energy sources, I think. About micro-nuclear reactor - I suppose that can be imballance to add nuclear power (and weapons) into this game, because after getting some of that many other blocks can become fully useless. I really don`t know what it can be for Hawkeye, but I think that ideas about energy that you can get with this corporation only for money, as example, through special charger from satellite, are really bad.

ilikegoodfood

Oct 9, 2014
United Kingdom
If storms will not damage blocks, turbine must work at its maximum, maybe at least five times more productive than usually...
As far as I am aware, the axis and bearings of a wind-turbine, whether a vertical or horizontal axis design, are susceptible to extreme stresses, as caused by high rotation rates in high wind. In storms wind turbines have to be shut down to prevent them from being ripped apart. I may be wrong, but that is what I know.

About micro-nuclear reactor...
I wasn't suggesting to add nuclear weapons to the game, only a possibility of power. Given that nuclear submarines and some large ships use small nuclear generators for power, it made sense for Hawkeye.
As far as balancing goes, that could be done in a number of ways:
  • High resource cost per use (60+ resource chunks).
  • No overflow - If you can't store the excess power, it is simply lost. The generator will not store it or produce more slowly. You will need hundred(s) of batteries to make it efficient.
  • Extremely explosive if destroyed and therefore unsuitable for most small bases or large techs.
  • Very heavy and fairly bulky (minimum 3 by 3 by 3)
  • Only works while anchored
Personally, IF Nuclear Power were to be added I would make all of these possible balances happen at once. Anyway, it was just a suggestion and I am already looking at ways to alter that one. Also, and a very good point you have made me realize, Terra Tech would be using Fusion, not Fission, for most power applications, so it'll have to be changed to something else. (Removed from OP)
The issue is that there are only a few ways to generate power irl: Solar, Solar Thermal, Chemical, Wind, Movement of Water (Tide, Waves, Dams, Rivers), Geothermal and burning stuff (Coal, Oil, Gas, Wood Chippings, Dried poo, etc). That's 7 methods for 8 corporations and they must also feel different within the gameplay parameters. Using Nuclear Fission or Fusion gives an 8th, although mechanically it is very similar to both Chemical and Burning stuff.

Reactions: Anthony_Palmer

Anthony_Palmer

Dec 8, 2016
The issue is that there are only a few ways to generate power irl: Solar, Solar Thermal, Chemical, Wind, Movement of Water (Tide, Waves, Dams, Rivers), Geothermal and burning stuff (Coal, Oil, Gas, Wood Chippings, Dried poo, etc).
Lightning can be used as a power source too. In the game it may be more powerful than in real life, especially during a storm.
Some power can be produced by gravity fluctuations which caused by natural satellite, but practically it`s only usage of sea water movement.
Theoretically, here may be something like shield or armor block that will transfer energy of some enemy shots (only laser shots or cannon shell blast wave for shock plating as example) into electricity, but it is so wrong with endless ammunition and "friendly fire".

Reactions: ilikegoodfood

Sozin

Dog Emperor
Jul 9, 2016
  • High resource cost per use (60+ resource chunks).
  • No overflow - If you can't store the excess power, it is simply lost. The generator will not store it or produce more slowly. You will need hundred(s) of batteries to make it efficient.
  • Extremely explosive if destroyed and therefore unsuitable for most small bases or large techs.
  • Very heavy and fairly bulky (minimum 3 by 3 by 3)
  • Only works while anchored
Personally i'd allow it to work on mobile techs, but make it so that any damage taken would cause it to explode, and make the explosion damage output high enough that getting hit in reactor = bye bye tech or bye bye base

On the note of nuclear weaponry, eh. They'd be overpowered, yes, but again they can be balanced. E.g. radiant wave surger type weapon. Needs reactor on tech, deactivates shields on use, drains ungodly amounts of power, but melee attack on enemy = boom. AKA single-use weapon that then leaves your reactor wide open

Last edited:

ilikegoodfood

Oct 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Added:
  • GeoCorp Refinery.
  • Reticule Research Conveyors, Conveyor Utilities, Rotating Anchor and Static Generator.
  • Venture Refinery and (EXCLUSIVE) Mobile Refinery.
Edits:
  • Improved Formatting.
  • Ordered corporations alphabetically.
  • Linked to similar discussion on SCUs.

I'm very much not sure what other distinct features I would like to see in Better Future, Legion and Space Junkers, or for the rest of the blocks. Discussion and suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
The way I see nuclear power, it would be fitting for RR, as it may be erratic. It would be able to consume any resource and produce massive energy. Because nuclear power plants don't typically explode, it might instead release loads of radiation, an atmospheric condition that would damage blocks. To counter this, RR would have anti-radiation armor and radiation gauges, as well as a powered block that cleans up radiation.

As for the nukes and nuclear weapons, I like the idea of powerful yet draining attacks. If it'll be ranged, I'd like to see some antiballistics (or if you're Harrison Ford, a refrigerator lol) to counter the sheer power of nuclear warfare.