Compressed Resource Containers

Do you want a lag free place to store your balls... of resources!

• Yes! I'm tired of my resources flapping about in the wind!

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • NO! Teh game must be optimerzed first! Then multi-player!

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Sadistical Satan

Mar 24, 2017
Minnesota
Now I've been playing TerraTech for the past few weeks and I really love the game, but I've noticed that when you have a large hoard of resources stocked at your base your frame rate takes a massive dip. Now I'm no stranger to the memory limitations of unity, so I'm going to leave my suggestion right here.

Behold The Compressed Resource Container! While this model that I whipped up in 3ds max is just an example (and possibly a future mod) the idea is that you would have a place to store large amounts of resources while keeping your bases neat, tidy and more importantly, lag free and will this help prevent thieves from grabbing your resource balls.

But there is a much overlooked downside... If your resource container gets destroyed... You lose everything that was inside! It all vanishes into a sooty black cloud of default unity particle assets!

Sadistical Satan

Mar 24, 2017
Minnesota
While Treasure blocks area very cool way of getting more resources, you still need a place to store the resources that are not in treasure chest form. The CRC is basically a silo that can hold a significantly large amount of resources and won't render whats inside.

Reactions: the dude and Exund

Nocallia

Administrator
Aug 7, 2015
Elsewhere
While Treasure blocks area very cool way of getting more resources, you still need a place to store the resources that are not in treasure chest form. The CRC is basically a silo that can hold a significantly large amount of resources and won't render whats inside.
As stated by a few devs, the reason it drops frame rates is because of the physics, not the resources themselfs. And they are removing physics from resources in holding beams because of that.

I am not saying your idea isn't good. It would be a great idea IMO, I just cannot confirm if they want it or not.

Sadistical Satan

Mar 24, 2017
Minnesota
When we request resources for fabrication, we have a small count display when you mouse over, so I just figured they could use that to display whats inside :)

P

Pink Kitty

I like the idea.
But, the Devs really have their hearts set on loads of floating resources.

There was talk of removing physics for resources once they are held in a beam or silo, so the lag goes down.
But i think we're stuck with the silos for now.

Treasure blocks will be handy, as you can store them in the SCU, making your base AND resources more portable.

Even moreso when we get the ability to unpack vehicles and bases from the SCU :p

Sadistical Satan

Mar 24, 2017
Minnesota
And I love the idea floating resources too, but forcing players to build around lag and choppy frame rates is terrible game design. Imagine the dev's incorporate a highly detailed block into the game because it "looks pretty", but having even 1 "pretty block" anywhere in your line of sight will slow the game down to a crawl, it begs the question, why even have said "pretty block" when it becomes detrimental to the quality of game play.

Now I understand that this game is still in it's early years of development, but sooner or later they are going to start optimizing the game for it's official release, starting with the most lag inducing things first, it would shure suck if at the end of their development cycle that they decide to "axe" floating resources that everybody loved because they realized that it was the source of lag this entire time.

So instead of waiting until that time, they should give players a second choice for storing resources. Remember, they are giving us an auto miner in the future, so of course your going to be acquiring large amounts of resource balls anyway's.

Now, if we had the ability to turn our resources into treasure blocks for storage this would eliminate the need for a secondary storage option, but from what I'm getting from that topic, is that we won't have that option.

P

Pink Kitty

It's the physics that causes the lag.

It's easy to show.

Build a base full of silos full of stuff.
Build blocks that interfere with the floating chunks.
Watch the FPS plummet.

They're removing the physics, which will fix that problem.
Still gonna have massive bases obscured by thousands of chunks though.

Eightng

Jul 26, 2018
I am excited to see if i can get this as a mod into the game because i hate how that for some of my mobile bases the storage for my resources are just floating there. :/

Reactions: Rafs