Complete Crafting Guide - What Crafty Mike doesn't teach! [TT 0.7.8.0]

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Just mass-liked all of your posts. You should be happy.
Ecstatic. Thanks.:)

Have added a couple of Compressed Fabrication System example techs, that I've also uploaded to Steam Workshop:
:D Optimal Compressed Fabrication System "Godzilla" - the very top end of manufacturing capability. It's unlikely you'd ever want more crafting capacity than this! Full details here on Steam Workshop. Snapshot:

:D Harvester Bricker (V2) - Obviously, to have Compressed Resources Blocks for your CFS Crafters, you need to make a whole load. This GSO Lv4, GeoCorp Lv1 tech is a bulk collector with twin, intendant Fabricator lines that make GSO blocks, for use in early-mid game onwards. It's suited for quick collection from (messy) Auto-miner sites and harvesting all other destructible resources in any biome! Full details here on Steam Workshop. Snapshot:
Plus added in more bugs based on (and linking to) recent reports. I think the guide is getting pretty near finished now.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
◄9► Advanced tips:

:D Conveyors are delicate, but the larger crafting blocks have a lot of health; Component Factories are almost twice as tough as the 2x2 GeoCorp Small Shock Plating
, so are viable for use as amour!

:D Resource chunks held in Silos, etc, can block your tech's weapons from firing (no line of sight). They're also impervious to enemy damage (and immovable), so can be used as shielding.

:D Order of precedence - At a conveyor junction, where a chunk could go multiple directions, e.g. pulled by 2 or 3 different Filters (or 2 to 3 silos), the block that was attached to your tech first will take the chunk. You can specify this by taking off and replacing the others.
:D Turn things sideways and upside down! e.g. silos, conveyors, component factories, non-GSO scrappers, all the latest crafting blocks - including GeoCorp and Hawkeye refineries and delivery canons! Full list:

◄10► Best practices - heuristics for better crafting:

:D Keep it small! - An enormous rainbow array of big silos stacked with resources looks impressive, but can cause more problems than it's worth:

:( FPS slowdown (AKA 'lag') - Even with game engine optimisations for resources in silos on anchored techs, a massive base, with many hundred resource chunks is going to slow down your frame rate.

:( The more spread out crafting ingredients are, the longer they will take to travel down conveyors to the essential processing stages. Each block length is another second on your fabrication time (or 1/4 second on Turbo). And this delay is repeated for each successive component fabrication step (depending on number of Component Factories).

:( Resources sometimes bypass filters that should grab them, blocking up storage system, or requiring a conveyor loop. (This only happens if the Filter pushes onto another conveyor, rather than direct to a silo.)​

:D Pre-refine everything! - It's notoriously difficult to ensure all raw resources enter a refinery, so just bypass this problem entirely.

:) There are no crafting recipes that use raw Celestite, Erudite, Ignite or Rodite, and only the GSO and CeoCorp refineries require Olite and Carbite.​

:) Scrap or collect all resources into a big silo with a refinery directly attached and use a filter to only pass on refined chunks (and maybe pre-made components).

:) Not storing any raw resources halves the size of resource storage arrays.

:) Very few blocks need raw ingredients, and you should have loads of them from destroying enemies, or can buy them cheaply.

:rolleyes: Making a whole bunch of fixed Anchors, or Refineries are likely exceptions. So, for these, it may be handy to have the capability to avoid refining your collected, or scrapped, resources immediately. Either remove the refinery, temporarily, or use a small, dedicated crafting/harvesting tech.

:D Compress to Blocks:

:) Use the GSO (or Venture) Fabricators to immediately store all mined (or harvested) resources in your SCU inventory.

:) Then simply scrap the compressed resource blocks, as needed, into a couple of mixed feeder silos; short conveyors means reduced Fabrication time, every time. Also, less chance of crafting AI related game engine stress.

:) Alternatively, for a larger crafting base, use an array of scrappers, one for each resource, which feed into the small GSO Node Silos. These act as output buffers, serving the conveyor system, while taking up minimal space and CPU resources. One compressed block, floating in the grip of a scrapper, can supply many resources!

:) Convert bonus compressed resource blocks (e.g. from mission rewards), from other Corporations, into the same denomination you use on your main crafting tech. Sell any left overs, you can get more easy enough.

:) All blocks from a Corporation contain the same number of chunks:
Venture = 8, GSO = 24, Hawkeye = 64, GeoCorp 120.

:) Setup next to a trade station that sells a good selection of blocks and buy up a supply using some of your amassed money! (See below.) Ironically, it has becomes easier to buy the common resources (like wood) and mine the rare, more valuable ones.​

In your graphic, there should also be the Venture conveyor and the GeoCorp receiver, which should be placed on the lower part.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
In your graphic, there should also be the Venture conveyor and the GeoCorp receiver
Ah. Thank you!:) I've edited that now.

I'm glad someone's casting a critical eye over my graphics, at least; I bet there's too many spelling and grammar cock ups in the text to know where to start! (I'll give it a 3rd careful read through when I finally copy it over to Steam. Darn my dyslexia and non-linear brain.;))

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Have added an intermediate crafting base tech that is the best example for understanding the system I'm recommending:
:D Compressed Fabrication System (CFS) "Perhonen" - This simple, flattened layout (like a butterfly under glass) epitomises the recommended way of using Compressed Resource Blocks in 11 dedicated scrappers, in place of large Silos. It has the same, minimal, 4 Component Factory setup as the most basic all-crafter, above. (Can be extended, of course.) See it's Steam Workshop page for instructions.
ZG CFS Perhonen.png

layer1

If crafting multiple items at once from a single input source like a silo, use filters off the silo for balanced input to the fabricators. If you connect the fabricators directly to the silo, some will take precedence and consume resources with others will sit idle for a while. Filters will request resources equally (more or less--it looks like filters use a round robin method of priority) and all your processors (fabs/CFs/refineries) will be fed equally as well. Illustration of what to do:

screen296.jpg

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
crafting multiple items at once from a single input source like a silo
Interesting. Do you use this kind of setup often in Campaign? (Converting between resource block denominations?)

It's no use for Component Factories, surely? Since they necessarily take different types of resource/component inputs (and so you'd never have them running direct off a silo)...?

layer1

Interesting. Do you use this kind of setup often in Campaign? (Converting between resource block denominations?)

It's no use for Component Factories, surely? Since they necessarily take different types of resource/component inputs (and so you'd never have them running direct off a silo)...?
Component factories, no. I segregate them so they can run simultaneously from their own input sources. If they need to be sped up the pacemaker is the perfect tool for the job. Same for refineries; two on a silo don't cause any contention so I just run them in parallel.

For making bricks, always. I spent one campaign patiently waiting for single miners to exhaust resources and ran into some pretty horrible fps drops when I'd leave a site too long, so now I always use overlapping miners and make bricks simultaneously.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
OK, so I took a break from the GBC: I've been right through the whole guide, making minor corrections and changes while copying it out and re-formatting for the Steam version, here!: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1191458767

If you liked this, it would be very helpful to Rate/Favourite the guide, there, so it will be easily visible to others who are interested.:)

MrTwister

An example of a fully-functional crafting base mostly bug-free. Can craft multiple units of the same block of any level of complexity from basic refined resources, can do either on repeat or up to 4 at a time once-off.

It is still possible to bug it sometimes if you try to craft several different types of top-tier blocks simultaneously so I craft only one block type at a time.

SBase MainBase Mk7f.png

P

Pink Kitty

An example of a fully-functional crafting base mostly bug-free. Can craft multiple units of the same block of any level of complexity from basic refined resources, can do either on repeat or up to 4 at a time once-off.

It is still possible to bug it sometimes if you try to craft several different types of top-tier blocks simultaneously so I craft only one block type at a time.

View attachment 18969
That looks lag-tastic.
Pretty. But laggy.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I took a look; very nice cathedral base.:)

Pretty much the opposite of what I'm recommending, above.:p I aim to keep my lengths of conveyor blocks within the low teens, while this looks like it may have a kilometre worth... Not surprised you had to contend with the conveyor/crafting length limits, there, heh. More surprised it works at all! ;)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Just added information about Alternator Conveyors to section 8, which I had somehow overlooked.:oops:

Alternator Conveyors:

:D Alternators send chunks from their input to one of their 3 possible outputs, in turn, like dealing cards.

:D Output directions are only active when there is a crafting block connected that is able to receive a chunk (e.g. Conveyor, Silo, Refinery).

:( If an output block is already occupied by a chunk, the Alternator will stay stuck, trying to output in that direction until there is space, before outputting to any other outputs.

:D Will function as a Filter Conveyor set to "All", when only one output is connected. But with the benefits of: (a) no user interface overlay clutter. (b) can output sideways.

bugbotsad Bug - The input/output arrows are rendered in the wrong orientation when Alternators (or Filters) are placed sideways, or upside down [report].

:DAlternators can be used to split a continuous flow of resources 2 or 3 (or more) different ways, e.g. to sell half of mined resources and Fabricate the other half into Compressed Bricks for later use.

:DA string of Alternators will act as a binary counter (or trinary, with return Conveyors on both sides). Demonstration video:
Also, added to the Steam version of the guide, section 9 (no space in the posts above):

:( Fabricators and Component Factories have a limit on how far they can control along conveyors. So crafting blocks at the ends of very long Conveyors may not function with automatic crafting. Each Component Factory, Refinery and Silo on a conveyor shortens this maximum distance. Conveyor loops with these parts attached limit things even further. [Help thread.] The little, white spark will not animate on crafting components that are beyond range.

bugbotsad Bug - Very large techs (e.g. over-sized crafting bases) may sometimes experience a visible offset between where their blocks appear and where their Crafting user interface elements and suspended resource chunks appear [report]. Fix by re-anchoring the tech.

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Added a pre-made tech snapshot for more easily maxising mining output rate per seam.
:D4 Auto-miners is currently the maximum number per seam. Achieved by positioning all their anchor stems as close to the centre of a resource seam as possible. (Ignore the auger drill animation.) Deploy a pre-made tech to make this process easier (see description in item's Steam workshop for instructions):
Also added in depletion times for each posible number of GSO miners (I hope the rate hasn't been quietly tweaked, again.)
:) So 9 hours 42 minutes to deplete a seam with one Auto-miner. 4h51m with two. 3h14m with 3. 2h26m with 4.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Added an example compressed block converter tech to section 11 of the guide on Steam (only - run out of space in the original posts, here, of course).
ZG CFS Converter 2.png

Also here on Steam workshop:
Simple tech to convert your Compressed Resource Blocks into the GSO variety, for use in other CFS (Compressed Fabrication System) techs.

Licences: GSO 3 and level 3 of any other corporation who's scrapper you have attached - remove blocks you don't have when re-snapshotting in Creative mode.

Links:

• Ideal for making refill 'cartridges' for the "ZG CFS Perhonen".
• This tech is part of my "Complete Crafting Guide", here on Steam (section 11). Much more info on crafting and it's bugs, there.

Instructions:

• Set Pacemaker to "Turbo".
• Start scrapping Compressed Blocks of one resource type (only), from the various corporations.
• Set one Fabricator to start making Compressed Blocks of that type, on repeat if you have a lot to convert. Use both Fabricators if you have very many to convert.
• Beware of running out of resource chunks half way through Fabricating, as consumed chunks will be lost when switching! You can flush through a half-made block by scrapping another one (by attaching a GSO scrapper).
• Two different resources can be converted at once, if you like.
• Remove the SCU if it gets in your way, or you struggle to manually insert the blocks to be scrapped.
• Use the Filter to sell of any loose change resources left over.
• Do not scrap non-resource blocks. (There will be a better tech for that.)

• Load in multiple copies of this tech to convert in parallel (but spaced apart so they can't steal each other's blocks, if there's no SCU).
• Switch out which Corp's Scrappers are attached, as needed. Fabricators too.
• Build in shields, batteries, etc, as you see fit.
• Conveyors are only there to prevent the bug where Resource Chunks are drop when exiting a Scrapper directly to the top of a full Silo.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
This should be a final Compressed Fabrication System example tech, to round out the different ways of sourcing Compressed Blocks:

"ZG ScrapSellBrick2X (CFS)" - A two channel scrapping base that automatically turns all extracted (or collected) resource chunks into GSO Compressed Resource Blocks, selling all Components in parallel. Will automatically convert from other corporation's Compressed Resource Blocks. It's twin arrays of Filters (and parallel input tracks) doubles the throughput over that of a simpler setup.

Full details here on Steam Workshop. Snapshot:
ZG ScrapSellBrick.png

Also, In the process of designing this, I nailed down the following:
:D Resources can be taken from both sides of a Silo corner simultaneously.

:D Resources stored in silos (and on Conveyors) on anchored techs are able to pass through blocks on that tech without collision.

Last edited: