Community News Ep#1. AKA 'What you missed on the stream'

P

Pink Kitty

So, not everyone is a fan of streams. Or know they exist. Or have time to watch them.
And they miss out on Jason's rich chocolatey voice, which is sad.
But a lot of news about upcoming stuff happens there, and folks miss out.
ditto twitter.

So, i'm posting this to let people know what was revealed. And if it could be pinned as a regular thing, that would be great.

So, info to follow:

1. Next release is a big one, and is likely to be delayed to Friday the 30th as a result.
  2. Ice Biome! is coming. And it's slippery!
  3. Treasure blocks are coming! These are fragile blocks manufactured by a fabricator to hold large amounts of a resource. Yo can then stack them out of the way, or stuff them in your SCU, all to avoid lag. Later they will likely appear on techs as prizes for you to chase after and salvage. There will also likely be a special fabricator that allows you to make various sizes of TB while on the move. But only TB's.
  4. Anchor button! if your tech has an anchor close to the ground, pressing this button anchors it. Handy for accidentally uprooted bases, or charging batteries while on the go.
  5. Pacemaker block! Attach to your base to change the speed of the 'heartbeat'. This means conveyors, filters, refineries, factories and fabricators all stop, go slow or faster by selecting the right button on the RMB menu.
  6. Hawkeye Shields! 1x1x1 and pretty. nothing new, other than how it looks. But we get them at last.
  7. Hawkeye Batteries! Not shown, but described. Low capacity. Low expodeyness. High armour.

If i've missed anything, add it in below!

2: the ice biome

3: Treasure Blocks:

5: the Pacemaker:

Legionite

taking a break from TAC Pack
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
6: The HawkEye Shield:
Now that is cool.:cool:

Whats also cool is the ice biome:
Now "naval techs" such as
Destroyer5.png
This
would look awesome in ice biome screen shots!
It would also be "appropriate" for naval-looking Techs to exist there, since it sort of looks like water. (Hovering naval Techs would make even more sense now, since it also looks like a seafloor!)
Some thing to note is that ice biomes neighboring desert biomes might happen if the spacing of the biome isn't specific, unless "water" is in between to make the transition smoother (that is probably not the case).

Anchor button! if your tech has an anchor close to the ground, pressing this button anchors it. Handy for accidentally uprooted bases, or charging batteries while on the go.
Mobile Tech mounted solars are somewhat possible because of that.

Last edited:

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
@Pink Kitty Thank you for taking it upon yourself to inform the community of the latest twitch related developments. In a perfect world @Jamie as community manager would have been doing this since the beginning after every stream.

I look forward to more installments of this series.

P

Pink Kitty

@Pink Kitty Thank you for taking it upon yourself to inform the community of the latest twitch related developments. In a perfect world @Jamie as community manager would have been doing this since the beginning after every stream.

I look forward to more installments of this series.
Thanks!
I would have done this last week, but there was this thing where i couldn't make new posts. :p

P

Pink Kitty

With the new Ice Biome, it would be cool if there was a way to mine special surface ice outcrops located in the biome, to craft special cryogenic weapons that could be part of Reticule Research in the future.
Well, if they were going to put new resources in, this would be a good place.

But, no reason, they can't just have ice crystals instead of rocks.
And the usual spread of stuff.

Could be kinda cool (ha!) if all resources were rare, but available in the ice.

Also, now that we have slippery ice, perhaps the claw wheels can have a higher grip on the ice so that they have a purpose, besides looking pretty.

@zanzistar

Reactions: Legionite
P

Pink Kitty

@Legionite Ice biomes are probably not that good for ships with wheels.
In addition to being rough terrain, they are really slippery.

Hovercraft however, don't care.

Gotta admit, ice, right next to a desert looks weird.

Legionite

May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
@Legionite Ice biomes are probably not that good for ships with wheels.
Well, that ship is actually propelled by the hover bug to go forward, and it also turns using steering hovers (all not seen as they are underneath the Tech).;)
It may be controllable in the biome, but what really hinders it is the lack of ability to scale small hills, as that ship was made in the flat R&D to be a fun vessel to fight against (it's actual functionality at the moment is "naval warfare" in R&D for use with both player and enemy AI :D).

P

Pink Kitty

So, that picture clearly demonstrates that Jamie is in awe of Jason's sexyness. :p

and fair enough. He is very sexy :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Well, that ship is actually propelled by the hover bug to go forward, and it also turns using steering hovers (all not seen as they are underneath the Tech).;)
It may be controllable in the biome, but what really hinders it is the lack of ability to scale small hills, as that ship was made in the flat R&D to be a fun vessel to fight against (it's actual functionality at the moment is "naval warfare" in R&D for use with both player and enemy AI :D).
In light of the recent improvement of hoverpads I look forward to the day when it is announced that the infamous hoverbug has been addressed and wholly removed from Terratech; possibly by increasing the size of the hoverpad's collision box to preclude the possibility of wheels being placed in that manner in which the bug is achieved.

Legionite

May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
In light of the recent improvement of hoverpads I look forward to the day when it is announced that the infamous hoverbug has been addressed and wholly removed from Terratech; possibly by increasing the size of the hoverpad's collision box to preclude the possibility of wheels being placed in that manner in which the bug is achieved.
To note that most of my Techs use the Hover-bug as a useful tool to help the AI do things that it wasn't able to do properly beforehand. It has proven useful to me so far in creating Airborne AIs, proper moving ships, and bring back a rough version of "AI harvesting".

I could even credit the hover bug for my Airborne AI collection and managing to get the AI to fly a "controllable hovercraft" to perform attack runs under it's own power!:)

I hope as well that when the hover bug is fixed, the AI for both players and enemies have advanced to a useable level. It would be nice to see the AI fly in full control without the hover bug someday, performing aerial turns and airstrikes against the enemies (or players). That way, anyone could make aircrafts and make them have fully functional dogfights in the sky!:D

I am curious to how the hover bug is troubling you: I have never thought that the hover bug was that problem inducing before (based on your sentence structure), so can you please explain the problems of the hover bug that are troubling you?:confused:

Reactions: Masakari

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
I was rather looking forward to a wall shield and not a hedron (don't know what that one is as I'm not familiar with those shapes just that's its part of that group) type of shield. It's also rather small in area coverage or on par with the GSO one but less due to the flat surfaces because of the hedron style, but without the other bubbles to compare it to I'm just eyeballing it. Would expect at least HE healing bubble size as the other 2 corps shields match their healing bubbles. It looks cool as it's a different shape and all but again why not just use a GSO one if it covers more area for the same space?

Hope the batteries are double GSO capacity if they take up 2 spaces like the healing shield, otherwise I would just use 2 GSO or a GEO battery for the same space as 2 HE ones even if they match the color theme as power and space/size (for friendlier FPS) are a major commodity in this game.

Honestly I think batteries need a capacity boost (2x-4x) as it looks rather obnoxious to me to see nothing but rolling battery packs with guns. Why have any other blocks if all we use for building is batteries to make sure our bubbles are powered long enough? That or reduce the charge drain from bubbles when used (healing blocks or taking shots).

As long as we have something to replace the hover bug properly (advanced flight controls including altitude control and hover toggle for heli type techs. Or a blimp/heliem like block and yes I heard they are not going to make that), I'm all for it being fixed.

Reactions: Sozin and Zed