Community Developed AI

BluCode

Jun 29, 2016
My suggestion is that the devs make an AI API, and let the community submit AIs. This would truly make the game original, while also improving the currently stupid AI. There could be competitions where the AIs are given an undisclosed bot to control, and then afterwards the ranked AIs could be used to control bots of different difficulty. For example mid-game a player might encounter a weak bot with a very good AI, and late in the game they might encounter a strong bot with a strong AI, making for a good opponent. I really think this would add a whole new way to contribute and compete, while at the same time improving the game for everyone. Let me know what you think down below!

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Aug 14, 2014
australia
an interesting idea, while in most games that have customisable ai, it is mostly tweaking the balances between the differing responses, but the tuning of the ai is one of the slowest and most difficult things you can do in programming

Bgrmystr2

Oct 29, 2015
Gensokyo
en.touhouwiki.net
When I was following Planetary Annihilation, Sorian (The guy who made the fan-made custom Sorian AI for Supreme Commander) talked about neural nets and how the engine uses that so the AI plays just as well, if not better than many of the players.

I don't know a lot about the way the AI is programmed in TerraTech, but I do know that a neural network seemed like a really, really good AI design. Maybe something that could be looked at by anyone thinking about creating an AI.

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Aug 14, 2014
australia
while I do have PA, I tend to prefer both the older huge was games ie TA & supcom when I am in the mood for a huge battle game, but at present my biggest time sink is out on the rim of the world with terratech as the second biggest, all after the 3d printers

Bgrmystr2

Oct 29, 2015
Gensokyo
en.touhouwiki.net
while I do have PA, I tend to prefer both the older huge was games ie TA & supcom when I am in the mood for a huge battle game, but at present my biggest time sink is out on the rim of the world with terratech as the second biggest, all after the 3d printers
Totally agree. TA beats the both of them. SupCom is great, but it's not perfect, and PA, while more rooted in the style of TA, it left a lot to be desired.. kinda sad.

The AI Sorian made for SupCom and PA would be great for TT since it learns from game experience and uses a bunch of algorithms that dictate what it's doing, whether it's winning or losing, if it should change what it's doing, what priority things need to be, and much more. It's really, really amazing.

I'm not sure who's working on AI specifically, but if this is any help to the devs or anyone in the community interested in it, here ya go.
http://soriandev.blogspot.com/2010/10/neural-nets-in-more-detail.html
Also, anything in the list of Neural network posts is a great read.
http://soriandev.blogspot.com/search/label/neural network