Community Designed Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hey Everyone!

We know that a lot of you enjoy designing and modelling your own blocks, mainly for mods, but also as suggestions for us to add to TerraTech,

As such we'd like to take some of the best designs and use them as inspiration for new blocks.

So here's what we're going to do... We're going to collect as many Community Designed blocks as possible, whittle them down to our 5 favourites then get you all to vote on them. The most voted for block will then be handed to our Art team and fleshed out using our block creation process. Eventually, the block will be added to the game all thanks to your lovely designs.

So if you have an idea for a block and you've got a design for it, whether it's a 3D image or just a scribble on a napkin, put it in this thread to be considered.

As always, there is one condition that must be met before we will consider shortlisting your design:

No new functionality!! Please use the existing mechanics of the game to make your block. New functionality would require code support which we're just not able to do.

If you'd like to participate but don't know where to start, here is a livestream we did showing the very early steps of designing a block:

Last edited:

Licflagg

https://gyazo.com/de74c9f4416f180fee41e7a4a3d94858

Here's my submission. Better future blocks with floating attachment points on one end or another. Something simple to start, but with a high creative possibility. I do have plans for a 4-way, or a 6-way, but that might be too much, so 1 and 2-ways are good enough.

As to actually making them, a mere 2 cells. one for the rendered part, and one for where the floating AP is, so the game won't freak out. 3,4,and 5 ways can allow you to hide them with ease.

Also, these were my first custom blocks, and are Simple.

Potato

Tinkerer of Titäns
Here's my submission:

1573658207987.png

Bring back the old Boss and Overlord Cabs, but with newer features - a cab that can be viable in the end game. The one I posted above has an Altimeter, Speedometer, Fuel and Energy Gauge along with twin 3-pounders. and lots of armor.

Bedacoalmaster

I draw TT models for fun
I would like to suggest a simple block, a GSO grade 4 repeating rifle. This could give the GSO corp a wider variety of guns towards mid-late game as the only bullet weapon (i can think off the top of my head) is the zk-47. Almost every other bullet weapon in the game outclasses the zk do i feel a larger bullet weapon would add more of a reason to put guns on your tech, especially if you dont have a lot of hawkeye or venture machine guns at the time. Here is a design i put together a while ago, it is the standard 1x1x2 units long with armour plates on the front and a drum on the top right with a shell ejection port on the left. B8BBA7CD-616A-4728-8C0D-F783585FE6B5.jpeg

gwlegion

i'm presenting only most insteresting blocks ... you can check all my blocks on my workshop, link in my signature.
All my blocks are free to use ...

1 - RAW storage blocks

The design is not really interesting, but the function is often asked by the community.
These block store raw ressources ...
For this one, i must check the texture licences ... that's not my work and i don't know if it's free for comercial use.
I have the author authorisation for my mod...

2 -component storage

another function often asked by the community : these block, store 1 of each components ... (raf made one with 3x1x1 for 3 components ... maybe better than mine)

3 - mirrored notch armor plate

Just beacause non symetrical thing are mostly unusable ...

4 - GC big base silo

can store 160 ressources ... for a 4*4 block, so it's 10 ressource / unit... like vanilla.
think GC missed many crafting parts...

Website
duckduckgo.com
I would like to suggest the GSO Thermal Beam in the quote below. It's basically a fixed laser beam which deals fire-type damage, like flamethrowers. Blender file is available on request.

The GSO Thermal Beam, a static long-range beam which deals fire-type damage. That's it really. View attachment 29558
View attachment 29559
Update log:
-Made the beam actually do fire damage
-Made beam cheaper, now requires 2 Heat Coils instead of 2 Plasma Emitters
-Lowered damage to 750, from 850

IMPORTANT:
Delete old Thermal Beam folder before adding the new one.

Shidoni

Oh hi there.
20191113113112_1.jpg
Screenshot (378).png

Hawkeye sloped armor blocks to compliment the spiked armor blocks, rough models, would be properly chamfered and everything in the HE style. Adding APs on the front of these blocks they won't line up with the model, however I think they should still be there, so you can just have the AP exist but without the actual model of it, same for the sides (mainly the smaller 1 and 2 long blocks).

These would be very nice to have for building, to be put in the place of the blocks you see between the spiked armor in the screenshot above.

Thanks for your time for reading this.

-Shido.

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
Everyone knows I made a lot of stuff for TT, most of it not adding much new functionality, just tweaking some stuff (we can exclude the hoverbug blocks, no idea if they fit official game design as of now, maybe we can wait for Reticule Research for that, I'd love to see them there).
I felt I had to prioritize my most functional blocks as I didn't want to overload the art team or flood this event with submissions (and I told the devs they can use any of my stuff any time they want, even the same art/assets).
So I talked with the people on discord, asked them their favorite blocks so that I could try filtering it, and it has been hard to decide, as a lot of people like many of them. Also, some favorite blocks are simple to suggest, like the construction ones, but some may conflict with the devs design choices.
The Component Frames are favorited by many but the devs had years to add these blocks and they didn't, and I'm affraid this could be a wasted submit because of a set-in-stone design choice (which is not something the players endorse, in fact many people wanted component blocks ever since crafting was a thing).

Thankfully submissions are flexible, so, for now, from the things I made I'll exclude the hoverbug related blocks and the ion saber (I want to rework it to use vibro blade stuff when the blade moves out of EXP, then share it as mod for everyone to test), and submit the majority of it, as I put a lot of effort in each block.

I'll group them in sets of blocks per corp or functionality, as some people suggested. I really wish I could filter more the stuff but that's not possible, and I'll explain the positive impact of each in each part:

(for more details you can check the thread where I explain them, and the blocks .json for stats)

1) Angled Hovers

These blocks provide good cover against crashes on hills and trees, with a notable improve to mobility/speed at the expense of some stability. My favorite set from all the stuff I made.

2) Component Frames

The component frames are useful for storing component blocks in inventory, a much requested feature. Doesn't require new code, it's just a recipe for a block. In my design, the components are displayed inside of a casing (the casing itself is pretty simple, as resource block designs are).

3) GSO Construction Blocks

This set includes curved gso blocks and girders. The girders are very popular in modded Techs, as they are light and easy to use (no need for endless rotations). The curved blocks are much like armored half blocks but they add a ton of personality to GSO builds, and they have handy side APs. These two sets are an automatic Tech Design Renovation button, add it to the game and see how the workshop content will change.

(more on the next post, image limits)

Last edited:

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
4) Geocorp Construction Blocks

Here we have new girders, an expansion on the half blocks and the Colossal Shock Plating. The shock plating is my favorite one, perfect for covering large areas without large shock plating repetition, which can feel too noisy, and can add a lot of protection for large techs against impacts and many sources of damage, without being OP (splash damage will go through). The new girders and half blocks add a lot more tech design flexibility, specially for large builds.

5) Venture Construction Blocks

These blocks include Venture Chassis Blocks, a new extra long block, wide streamlined blocks, and the boards. The chassis blocks are amazing for light builds, weaker than normal blocks but much lighter, great for planes or internal structures, and they have a sporty feeling to it (much like a buggy chassis). The extra long block looks like the main body of motorcycle or quadbike, and the wide streamlined blocks resemble a variety of car hoods. The boards are quite useful for adding light protection and covering parts of the tech you don't want exposed.

6) Hawkeye Construction blocks

The sets include composite armor plates, heavy fortress building blocks, chassis blocks, and double sloped blocks. The heavy armor plates and blocks are stone damage type, providing many nice resistances, and have a lot of HP, but they are also very heavy, better for something that doesn't move, like a fortress (the armor plates are more flexible and quite popular in modded techs). The double sloped blocks have neat side APs, the ones a lot people missed in spike blocks during the great AP purge, also popular in modded techs. And the chassis are really nice for the interior of a heavy hawkeye tech or a light scout tech and planes (hawkeye planes are notably heavy, they need that).

7) Better Future Construction Blocks

This set is just the blank panels, great for adding more streamline-ness to BF builds, covering parts you couldn't cover with the available blocks.

----------------------------

And these are my submissions, hope it's not too much. Again, for more details on the blocks, check the .obj files on the mods, it has the complete mesh.

Last edited:

Cloud

Maybe BetterFuture shield armor plates that work like shield bubbles but flat. Or just regular BetterFuture armor plates
Those were actually tried... As far as I know they ended up being dropped after a very special scene where they created an earthquake along the surface of the R&D chamber.
EDIT: This is my interpretation of a stream by Rafs of him showing the plates bugging out and zooming across the ground, until they suddenly flew up into the air like a rocket, to which his game responded with an allergic reaction and crashed

Last edited:

xXThunderFlameXx

Aircraft Enthusiast
Ok, so this might be a stretch, my suggestion is mostly aimed towards aircraft in improving not only looks but also mechanics:

1.Forwards/Backwards swept wings:
1280px-Grumman-X29-InFlight.jpg

I'm thinking of modular wings, not only strapping a bunch of middle wing sections for longer but straight wings, they might work, but looks and functionality wise they might not be so great, imagine using HE or BF slope blocks to seamlessly make a tech, now imagine using this for wings, blocks that have actual lift and aileron control.

2.Vectored Thrust:
vstol-4post.jpg
You might see where I'm getting at here, thrusters that swivel much like hovers do, except you won't need ground or a hover-repelling block to provide thrust, now this brings the problem of much angling can be done, making like 15 blocks with different hard limits won't work, but rather a few blocks with an adjustable angling limit, this might dip out of you might consider "existent mechanics", but to be fair those requirements are quite vague in my opinion.

3.No-fuel jets:
main-qimg-07ac128692f302d387cabf3332e05b98-c.jpg

Now that were on the thrusting topic, it feels like a rip-off that the only actual jet engines in the game require fuel, the ion thrusters don't really have that "jet" or even spaceship thruster feeling, they're just minimalist boneless laser pointers, so either change the current jet engines to not require fuel, or make new and arguably weaker ones that don't, and buff the current ones, there are alternatives which have about the same power without requiring fuel, so why bother with boosters most of the time?
Really, that mechanic needs to be changed, fuel tanks that constantly regenerate, anyone?

4.Always-regenerating fuel tanks:
You know what? Screw it, let's make it happen, they should have a lower capacity and slow regeneration rate, but with enough of them you will be able to probably have infinite boosting, at the cost of the tech being bulky, or fragile.

Welp, here goes nothing, but to be honest no matter which submission makes it it will be a win for everybody.

Cloud

Ok, so this might be a stretch, my suggestion is mostly aimed towards aircraft in improving not only looks but also mechanics:

1.Forwards/Backwards swept wings:
View attachment 29717

I'm thinking of modular wings, not only strapping a bunch of middle wing sections for longer but straight wings, they might work, but looks and functionality wise they might not be so great, imagine using HE or BF slope blocks to seamlessly make a tech, now imagine using this for wings, blocks that have actual lift and aileron control.

2.Vectored Thrust:
View attachment 29718
You might see where I'm getting at here, thrusters that swivel much like hovers do, except you won't need ground or a hover-repelling block to provide thrust, now this brings the problem of much angling can be done, making like 15 blocks with different hard limits won't work, but rather a few blocks with an adjustable angling limit, this might dip out of you might consider "existent mechanics", but to be fair those requirements are quite vague in my opinion.

3.No-fuel jets:
View attachment 29720
Now that were on the thrusting topic, it feels like a rip-off that the only actual jet engines in the game require fuel, the ion thrusters don't really have that "jet" or even spaceship thruster feeling, they're just minimalist boneless laser pointers, so either change the current jet engines to not require fuel, or make new and arguably weaker ones that don't, and buff the current ones, there are alternatives which have about the same power without requiring fuel, so why bother with boosters most of the time?
Really, that mechanic needs to be changed, fuel tanks that constantly regenerate, anyone?

4.Always-regenerating fuel tanks:
You know what? Screw it, let's make it happen, they should have a lower capacity and slow regeneration rate, but with enough of them you will be able to probably have infinite boosting, at the cost of the tech being bulky, or fragile.

Welp, here goes nothing, but to be honest no matter which submission makes it it will be a win for everybody.
ARE YA FEELING IT NOW MR KRABS?

I will take forward swept wings, yes. Yes
And all the other suggestions except I have an intake that I modified to be overpowered soo

Also, landing gear-to-rudder switchgear would make my life so much easier when I start building an ADF-11F Raven

Last edited:

Cloud

Anyways, an actual suggestion to which I can't exactly model or anything, but..
Forward Swept wings: Forward swept wings like suggested above would be really nice indeed. I end up using VEN aerofoils and tilting them the other way for most of my VEN aircraft builds, and I find that it actually gives much better control then if they were facing normally.
BICC WINGS: As well as forward swept ones, I believe we need bigger wings in general for those big aircraft. Putting multiple wings on top of each other to make one big wing is tedious and often takes at least twenty middle wings. If we could have a generally larger wing set, that'd be nice.

Cloud

And because filling the inside of the FALKEN I made in TT with large Better Future booster was just saddening to have to do...
ACTUAL BOOSTERS: Can we have actual aircraft boosters? I'm talking three wide, three tall, and four long massive jet engines. Would provide enough thrust to push something made entirely of HE blocks.

Bedacoalmaster

I draw TT models for fun
Since people have posted multiple blocks i thought it would be a good time to communise on the opportunity. Thats right, I said communise because i may have borrowed a concept from the recent TT stream:
The Geo corp explosive rivet gun
5AE9ACAF-F6EA-4913-B48D-8CD858BD17AB.jpeg
This gun is designed for self-defence with its low rof but high damage. It shoots out a bolt, barb, rivet, nail, whatever you would call it that will stick to a surface. The unique trait of this weapon is the sticks of dynamite strapped to the rear of the projectile that explode after one second of contact with a surface. This is similar to the exp sticky bomb launcher, the differenced being size, stats and detonation time. Geo corp needs at least one ranged weapon that shoots a projectile at some point, so how about now!

Zonko

I have all the blocks like armour blocks and panels and such.
Would be nice to have them as vanilla.
the projector blocks are cool too, and the girders.

The scrappable components are great.
But the one i like most is not here. It's a GIANT storage pad that holds like, 1000 resources.
That thing is great. BF i think.

Sea_Kerman

Ok, this is a bit beyond "no new functionality", but you said you were somewhat interested in omnidirectional wheels. Presenting, swerve drive. The wheel and it's L-shaped bracket can steer a full 360 degrees to let you move in any direction and rotate in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.