Coding idea for a flare countermeasure

burger1113

1280px-CH-46_Sea_Knight;_Flares.jpg
I'm sure we all know these things? Something we might desperately need to make the missiles not so "end all, be all" presence when it comes to weapon balance.
Of course, these should have a long/medium reload time, so it's not IMPOSSIBLE to get through...

I've encountered these things in a few games before, and I've thought of a way to code these in a somewhat easy way since even big companies like dice(please) have messed up the AI for it. And that is:
Why don't we make it so the flares are coded to register as techs that only exist for the duration of the burnoff time for the flares, and most importantly, the tech that shot the flares become a "Non-Tech" for a second or two? This should make the countermeasures less likely to fail, and easier to implement than something like a whole new "heat" seeking missile AI or somethin lol
The missiles already change target pretty well when targeted techs get destroyed before they get there, so this should work out pretty neatly?
So how about it? I suppose another thing is having an extra keyboard input for dispensing the flares, but...... these are so coooool lol

Falchoin

Since weapons target cabs, each flare could act as a cab. Flares would need to be launched toward a set direction (either smart systems launching towards the nearest seeking projectile or orientation on the tech) for the missiles to favor them as the closer target. As to the cooldown, I don't think it needs to be all that long given how easy it would be to saturate flare systems with swarm launchers/avalanche launchers/seeker missiles. Though it would probably need to be dependent on the number of flares launched per activation, flare hp, and flare duration.

My preference to activate defensive flare systems would be automatic when there's an appropriate missile/mortar/seeking projectile in a certain radius of the flare launcher, regardless of what the seeking projectile is actually targeting (missile defense drones could be a thing!).

burger1113

either smart systems launching towards the nearest seeking projectile or orientation on the tech
Direction wise, I think I would like something that looked like the new HE landing gear, a 1x1 block that shoots out flares straight towards the direction the block is placed at.
Automatic firing sounds okay too, as I probably can't fire them in time anyways lol

Captain Load

The fake cabs would probably also need to be registered as anchored. I've never seen a missile lock onto one that wasn't.

Website
www.youtube.com
The fake cabs would probably also need to be registered as anchored. I've never seen a missile lock onto one that wasn't.
ive never seen a missile NOT lock onto any enemy tech (A tech not allied to its faction/team) so im not sure thats an issue although having them as cabs would likely casue lag after only a few flares get fired so wha about making flares destroy a missile targetting the tech that fired the flares so it wouldnt create lag