Chat in forum sidebar

Olli_DXD

Räksmörgås
Dec 26, 2015
Linköping, Sweden
So, I had this idea of implementing a public chat in the forum sidebar so you can chat with the people that are online on the forum while you are. So for instance if I just wanted to tell someone about a thread that they might find interesting but I don't want to start a conversation just to link the thread. The chat will be cleared when there are no people online, if possible it could be linked to the stream chat so you can still chat while browsing the forum.

If you have any thoughts, you know where to put them.

Have a chatty day!

Olli_DXD

Räksmörgås
Dec 26, 2015
Linköping, Sweden

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
I was thinking of something a little less complicated and more integrated into the forum, aka no link to another website.
It isn't a link to another site. The IRC is part of the forum itself. It uses the same usernames, emoticons, etc.

Though, a really simple thing they could do is just move the profile posts up somewhere and use that.

Olli_DXD

Räksmörgås
Dec 26, 2015
Linköping, Sweden
It isn't a link to another site. The IRC is part of the forum itself. It uses the same usernames, emoticons, etc.

Though, a really simple thing they could do is just move the profile posts up somewhere and use that.
I see! Moving the profile posts is the best option I feel like as it wouldn't do any harm if they were to move them(I think...)
Let's make this happen!

BitMage

modARRRator
Jul 22, 2015
Chadwick Bay
i prefer the idea of a section of the sidebar to be devoted to live chat. I don't think that will happen though.

honestly, i must say, even though i love IRC and have used it on and off for nearly 20 years, I don't see it as a good option for the average open game community. Its hard for me to explain why. but ill try.

first let me ask you this question:
Do you know what Ham Radio is?
Ham radio is cool, and is a fantastic hobby for many people. but only a certain kind of person would enjoy it. Its not a hobby aimed at a mass market, its not pretty, its not the easiest thing to mess with.

IRC is in a similar vain, Its cool. Its not covered in extra features that are confusing. But its not pretty. And It is not aimed at the mass market of people who play games.

IRC is just like a chat room, but with all the things most people find comforting striped from it.

Let me ask you one more question:

When asking a total stranger which operating system they use, Mac based OR windows, how many are likley to answer "Neither, i use linux"....
A perfectly fine answer, BUT that might give you an idea of the ratio of people who use IRC instead of a really nice chat room site, or voice comms over some other fancy service.

If you Want to encourage the growth of a gaming community by giving them a place to hang out and chat, Dont use an outdated service that lacks each and every feature the "common man/woman" might be looking for. Dont use something who's interface is simply text with no personality of its own. Don't use something that is more geared towards the modern digital technophile tinker (IRC bots and what you can do with them is the real main draw to an IRC service)

There is absolutely no point to even consider IRC when there are so many free alternatives that do a far better job of presenting themselves, and enticing people to get involved and stick around.

Just the existence of Discord should remove IRC from the list of possible choices.

TLDR = IRC is great if you HAVE to mess with bots. But other free services do a far better job at serving a diverse community while appearing less cold and confusing then an IRC chat room.

Reactions: Chrii_the_Vieh

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
Yorkshire Dales under a rock.
I'd use and enjoy using an IRC for TerraTech (especially if it was an official/semi-official one), however I seldom use website chat bars, especially not as part of a forum. It feels - to me - like expecting twitter to be used for blog posts.

Furthermore even if there is a bolt-in solution to this BB software (XenForo?) that is proven and works perfectly, I still get 404 errors just browsing the forums. Plus of course it will need active 24/7 moderating...

Really not worth the effort IMO.

edit to add:
Twitch Chat is run on IRC (that is you can use IRC clients to chart through Twitch), so it could be integrated easily I would expect.

2nd Edit:
Oh and while I will happily use voice coms for fleet actions or raids, using them as an adjunct to a currently non-multiplayer game with people I don't know.... no chance.

Last edited:

BitMage

modARRRator
Jul 22, 2015
Chadwick Bay
discord is only partially voice, its an option, not a necessity. i text-only chat there often. but its fantastic to have voice built in.

on TT's twitch page, the chat is always there and always open. and not moderated 24/7, so the assumption that the forum chat option would "require" it is a bit silly.

but even if you want to believe that, i spend far more time in the forum then on tt's twitch. so .......

And yes, twitch chat has IRC integration, but all of that is invisible. If you would not have mentioned it, those who don't already know would have never known.

My main issue is that IRC has a certain bare bones flavor to it, plus requires you to go outside of the domain of twitch/forums. That is a heavy barrier to entry for the vast majority of the TT Fan-Base.

One excellent illustration of my point is this, someone has a TT IRC set up.... and its been there for months upon months..... on its own, has it grown, maintained a certain minimum of use, or stagnated completely. I've popped in there a few random times and seldom see more then 3 people in there.

An extra point as well. IRC chat is not at all persistent. When i come into an irc chan, what ever was said befor i arrive is not available to me, PLUS whatever is said after i leave is also not available to me. This would not be the case with either discord OR a chat-sidebar in the forums.

IRC is outdated as hell, and kills asynchronous communication. Anything IRC can offer you, is offered by other services (except for the bots). But that doesn't go the other way. There is much offered by other services that IRC can not, nor will ever, be offered.

Only current fans of IRC (and dinosaurs, and ancient history) will enjoy the use of it.

i dont mean to sound so anti-irc, but it has its place and that place is far from anything "main-stream" Its really really really really really not suited for the random general public.

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
I don't have any issue with other people using something else to communicate. Or even think that we need something else here. Just that I don't think we need any chat interface on the forums.

I may be a dinosaur certainly reading your post leads me to believe others may think I am. But forgetting for a moment the specific technology is there a need for a better way to communicate than what we have already in the forums? I get the impression from your post that you feel a forum cannot present information to non-dinosaurs in such a way as to be read/understood and that an alternative is needed. Sort of like how now I can find videos on how to do things that I can't get basic written instructions for - even when basic written instructions would be clearer and easier to understand.

My view is simple - and once again I'll suppress my desire to mention ancient technologies. The community present on these forums is already a community, it doesn't require live chat or voice communications to be what it is... if it did then it wouldn't exists as it does. And even if I'm entirely wrong and such a feature IS needed to keep this community going then, the technology exists already. If you want <insert non-dinosaur chat software> to allow live chat then the programs exist to allow you to do that.

To be honest while I had heard of Discord in the past (not least through Reddit), I've not really given it any real thought. I talked about IRC in the previous post as I have used it a lot for many years, it wasn't so much a suggestion for use but more an example of a technology that would allow 'live' chat.

As for expecting users to use something, if it isn't embedded into the website, or made some form of official then it will never garner the sort of support it needs to become it's own community. If the devs added an official IRC channel to the sidebar tomorrow then it would used, similarly if they added ICQ or Discord... or any of the other variants on the theme they will be used. Some 3rd party player won't garner that much information even if the davs say the might use it. (Having seen the same issues in other games.)

As for moderation, I really do think that on a company website like this they do need to have active moderation all the time, just for posts/answers. All the more if a live chat was added. Because it doesn't matter how often they say "Comments are the responsibility of those who make them..." unless they moderate it will appear to many that they at best turn a blind eye to them at worst condone them. Live chat that I have seen (including IRC) that doesn't have any form of moderation drives people away.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
I meant like something integrated into the forums itself. A chat box on the top, or a link to a chat feed at the top. I have seen both on other forums, and I have used them a lot.

Not sure if that is IRC or not. I'm not an expert on that stuff.

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
I meant like something integrated into the forums itself. A chat box on the top, or a link to a chat feed at the top. I have seen both on other forums, and I have used them a lot.

Not sure if that is IRC or not. I'm not an expert on that stuff.
Yeah I think @BitMage and I are probably getting off topic here... ;)

I understand what you want, but don't think it's needed. :/

BitMage

modARRRator
Jul 22, 2015
Chadwick Bay
I agree thats its not needed, but i sure want it, lol. Id love it if when i stopped by the forum i could have a bit of a live chat.

Just for the recorded, i never addresed "need". My whole stance was distaste for IRC.