Carpet bombs/Stagger fire for some guns

diamondnife

Jun 10, 2017
The Technocratic AI Colony.
Adding a carpet bomb for Hawkeye that you could attach to the bottom of a craft/flyer that drops bombs in a stagger fire pattern so it has a large area of effect in a line. It could be used to make large bombers or smaller stealth bombers. You could also add a stagger fire mechanic that could be selected from the right click radial menu beside the AI options so if you had a lot of slow firing powerful weapons, you could stagger fire so you have a higher chance of hitting your target. Ex. having a lot of megaton cannons but they all miss because they all fire at the same time towards the same place. The random techs could also have the mechanic selected, but it could use a RNG to tell if it does or doesn't have stagger fire on. I hope you take my suggestions into consideration.

Legionite

taking a break from TAC Pack
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
These are all great ideas for flying Techs. For the time being though, the GSO 8-Barrel Fixed Mini Mortar works as a sub-par carpet bomber (those rounds from it track enemies).
Concept Tech coming, please wait...

diamondnife

Jun 10, 2017
The Technocratic AI Colony.
I know you can recreate this a little by having the hawkeye missiles hit a block on your tech, which makes them fall, but they explode before hitting the ground and don't really have the "carpet effect" of a carpet bomb.

Reactions: Legionite

Legionite

May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
Here it is! The Potato Bomber:p (because it failed to bomb under the AI's control...), a craft that was originally designed to be piloted by the AI, but it just didn't work. Anyways, its primary weapon is the mortars mounted on it's underside that act as a makeshift carpet bomber weapon.
PotatoBomber5.png
(very hastily put together)
When the AI passes over a target when piloting one of these, they seem to fire accurately to hit their target with the mortars. The main problem here is getting the AI to line up the attack run properly.:confused:

Sharra

Apr 7, 2017
And now imagine a bigger flyer with the bottom full of mortars... okay, they do not that much damage, if you manage to kepp flying over the enemy....

Reactions: Legionite

Legionite

May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
Finally managed to get the Enemy AI to fly it correctly, but now it literally flies like a potato now.:confused:
PotatoBomber7.png
Now it can follow the player better now, and also can be used as an AI companion as well.
Edit: The allied AI definitely cannot handle it correctly.

Last edited:

Legionite

May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
And on an added note, here's the Flying Pan. A Tech that was inspired both by flying saucers and Star Trek.
The Flying Pan.png
Just a normal hover.
As an added note, normal hovers are noticeablely less controllable than my Airborne AI in concept (just saying...;)).

ilikegoodfood

Oct 9, 2014
United Kingdom
I have a very old carpet bombing tech that uses megatons.
Very crude machine that showed up in an old community core.
The top one only works when flying, the middle one can use weapons on the ground. Neither fly very easily and both need ramps.

lordmuck

Aug 6, 2015
+1 for stagger fire, perhaps as a 1*1 block which you connect to the weapon in question more stagger blocks connected the longer the delay to fire? however even the radial menu for each weapon to set the timer would be cool :) it adds a little bit of "tactics" and stuff.. just imagining this on 6-9 shotguns. Yet mainly for missiles I think is close to a must have, as I believe if my eyes are not deceiving me that the missiles tend to hit into each other before hitting the target and then killing off each other. Unless fired in a straight line with 2 blocks of space before the launchers... but you end up with a bigger tech :/

lordmuck

Aug 6, 2015
Can you make recording of gameplay when this is happening and post in bugs? Because for me, all missiles work good.
Ill try to, never recorded anything before.. it is "random". If you try a line of C.Missiles iiiiii and in front and a block or to below a few of the smaller ones, while you fire from a long range I think you may see a few collide and therefore explode before hitting the target.. Anyway, if I can manage to do it in a way that clearly shows this I will record.

Stormo364

Feb 12, 2017
somewhere over the rainbow
the carpet bombs would be cool but it would be a bit OP for multiplayer because unless a player has a 'dome' of shield bubbles on top of their base, the bombs will easily destroy it