Can we bring TAC AI into vanilla?

warbrand2

A merc who loves blowing up large targets.
Jun 16, 2020
I know bringing the mod as is into vanilla wouldn't be a good idea, but it still should be done in some way. I love having rival bases, air techs flying above, quad rotors seeming to scout the lands while venture fliers to areal tricks.

EDIT: link to mod https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/tactical-ai-alternative-tech-ai.22135/

So I have a suggestion, bring it into vanilla but with a few balancing changes.

Lets start with rivals, these would spawn in 4 types, hostile, netural, stand off, and allied. Each world will have a max of 12 rivals, while yes you can destroy their bases this just means they will move. At the start there will always be two a neutral and a stand off but as you get corps more will spawn.

Bellow is how each rival will work.

Hostile: like current TAC AI rivals, will bribe nearby hostile techs to work for it, and build up a base which will slowly become a fortified location depending on the faction.

Neutral: similar to hostile but ignore the player completely, they do build defenses to fight hostile techs, but generally do not bribe hostiles. these tend to die alot.

Stand off: like neutral but if you get to close they will turn hostile. A warning will be played each time you enter the area stating X has land rights for this area, leave or be fired upon. Can spawn player bases. (to replace base invaders.)

Allied: spawn only once you hit HE faction, only two spawn one HE and one GSO, if they are destroyed they will move. These act as mission hubs and where the AI hang out outside of their missions.

-------------------
faction bases. bellow are idea examples of how each faction base would work... sorry for the lack of images.

GSO: Always built around a GSO shop, starts with two workers that bring resources to said shop which will be "hacked" by them. note these hacked BB hubs can still sell you parts and give missions, but any BB goes to the owner and not the player. These tend to build smaller techs, with their main feature being a factory that refines what ever ore is nearby into higher qaulity materials to sell. Main placement is turrets.

GC: always build on a resource vein said vein will be made infinite. Their first spawned on is a neutral one after you do a vein mine mission. their bases slowly build up a bulking operation, with a "space elevator" that launches large bulked ore bundles into space. Unlike other factions they rarely build defenses and are rarely hostile. Random missions might have you defending these bases.

venture: These ones are unique, being built as a run way with a helipad, will spawn fighters and hovers more often then not, are almost always stand off or hostile. With the rare neutral one being sending scout fliers around the map, if in a scout fliers area it will act as a radar for you and any other allied techs.

HE: Only ever spawns one base, right after you meet them and that is where the commander lands, this base will be larger then any other faction base with heavy defenses, tanks and trucks puttering around it. It is allied. though hostile fake bases will spawn for events. the destroy turret missions are replaced with take out rival bases.

BF: only ever spawns one base, and it is a corperate base right after you meet them, this is a neutral base with several BF hovers and anti grav for sell. This is the only base that even hostiles avoid.

RR: NEver spawns a base as they are trying to make an actual facility on this planet instead of a pop up base, as such you will never run into a BF rival.

Last edited:

warbrand2

Jun 16, 2020
Seriously all the functions of TAC AI would be rather useful for the hud one can easily add the AI control varriants to the options via a pop out menu... give me a moment I will make a pain image.

warbrand2

Jun 16, 2020
example.png

above is an idea of how the AI menu can be done, once the player activates the "guard/follow" menu which will be replaced with AI mode. they will have options for how the AI will act.

light blue showing options the AI can do, and dart grey showing options the AI can't different AI modules can do different things.

EAch symbol tells a task , the following are the AI tasks in order from left to right.

Defend player: AI will follow the player defending them from danger

Charge allies: AI will head between a base with charger and allies, making sure to charge up their batteries. is good for larger convoys or bases with turrets that can't fit solar pannels.

Collect resources: will mine resources or collect materials dropped by harvesters, this and the charge AI will actively avoid enemies fleeing back to their base when enemies are detected. Once its harvesters are full it will go to the nearest drop off point that isn't a BB hub.

Mimic: designed for multi techs, will mimic the player, example a turret of a tank will fire if the player is firing, or move with the players camera rotation.

Patrol: will move between static techs protecting them, eclusive to HE AI modules.

DEFEND collectors: AI will actively hunt hostiles that are close as to defend collecters, but will not venture to far from colletors, best for helio or AG AI's.

warbrand2

Jun 16, 2020
With this would come a new set of missions when you get GC.

TONY TROUBLE
Mission start: this is given once you finish the craft lines for harvesters.
mission info: a Tech named Tony is having problems with his bots, apparently most of them have gone rogue.

The player goes to their location, and finds him and a "tony swarm" of bots generally 4 small bots moving between him and a few harvesters. these bots are BIG Tony bots with grunt AI modules and a collector instead of the top block. they still retain their laser.

Tony is a medium person tech with two mobile GSO resource cannons as shoulders, his head is a 2x2x2 block and he has a GC gyro keeping him up, unlike other techs he is not anchored and will move around his location.

Upon arival, two of his bots will go hostile requiring you to destroy them.

Tony: Man I loved those bots, but with the virus going around I can't blame them... might as well mask any new ones I build, hey while you are here want to learn about harvest AI's? Sure you do, watch your head.

At this point a small tony bot will drop nearby.

Tony: see this, this is my patent pending Big Tony MK2, it even has a drill. I will be giving you this one for free though, only charge for them once I own the patent.

Tony: so lets start by placing a resource cannon, if you don't have one just ask I will give you one for 500 BB.

*player can buy one*

Tony: good now place a receiver on it, don't have one... well another 500 BB should do.

*player places the receiver*

Tony: good now look at the drone I gave you, via the radial menu... there should be an option in it to turn it on, once on select gather resources.

*player does so*

Tony: good, now that little guy should go gather resources from... my autominers... oh well, they are almost dry anyway.

*Once the drone returns*

Tony : well now you know how to set up your own drones, good luck, I will leave it to you to learn the more complex things. I am not a teacher like Mike. What you though he wasn't a teacher, he teaches every new GSO agent, just don't let him know I told you that.

*Tony activates the build beam on his drones which fly up into the sky, then thrusters up himself.*

Last edited: