Can I Get A Bit More Sky With My Anchor?

Good idea?

• yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not needed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Surprised that it isn't already like that!

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
What I would like to suggest is that the sky anchors be able to have a higher tether height from the ground. As they are right now they seem more like a tree top anchor.
For these to be true sky anchors you should be able to anchor anywhere in the air without having to tether to the ground near you, but I would at least like to see them be able to anchor a tech 60 or so blocks above the ground. Provided that the tech could maintain that height on its own.
Maybe they could have a height adjustment that could be set by the player.

@Matt I was wondering if this would be possible.

I have found a way around this, but it is not ideal.

What are your thoughts on this?

Have a good one [8D)

zanzistar

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Fair play, I'll double the height limit from 40 to 80 units.

Just to be clear, you need something more than Hoverpads to lift your Tech up to the maximum height whilst using a Sky Anchor. Rotors or Linear Motion Engines will also help to keep you at the maximum height if you put the lift throttle to full. But I'm sure you know that already.

It should be in the next unstable.

Have a good one :)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I'll double the height limit from 40 to 80 units.
Oh wow, cool. This will be interesting... :) Should it not affect Hubl and the floating BF mission bases?

I didn't think there was a hard cap on extension, just a linear (or exponential?) increase in restorative force? (Is 40 blocks just the point where that force really starts to bite?)

zanzistar

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
No, those Techs are held at the same height as their lift is determined by hoverpads, not LMEs or Rotors with fixed throttles. If you want to reach the max height of the Sky Anchor, you have to use something that lifts you higher.

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Fair play, I'll double the height limit from 40 to 80 units.

Just to be clear, you need something more than Hoverpads to lift your Tech up to the maximum height whilst using a Sky Anchor. Rotors or Linear Motion Engines will also help to keep you at the maximum height if you put the lift throttle to full. But I'm sure you know that already.

It should be in the next unstable.

Have a good one :)
Right on, thanks a ton! Very true about needing the lift to reach the max height. I found that out with the Skycrafter build that I did recently. I did find a work around for the current height limit by using another tech to do the lifting. That turned into another build of its own.

Nice, its starting to catch on ;)! Have a good one [8D)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
If you want to reach the max height of the Sky Anchor
I mean, I don't see that there is a max height/extension to the sky anchor tether... Its restorative force looks like it ramps up linearly, to me, too.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if this change effectively cuts the spring constant to a half. If that makes much difference at short range, oo not. But at the opposite extreme, I'd anticipate being able to stretch it almost 2km, given my quick test rig managed about 900m:

I'm equally impressed and disappointed that the anchor plug somehow stayed in place even when the world tile it was in had long ago de-spawned - I'd have assumed that it would at least be glitched by the treadmill system... :(:)

Edit 2019-06-08: oh, I see - the tether has magical properties! It has a slack zone, exerting zero force for when extended up to 40m straight up above it. (Then a lineally ramping up force, like an elastic band.) But it immediately pulls back against any horizontal offset above zero. Weird, but practical, I guess.:)

Last edited: