Build Beam Improvement

battlefieldaces

Feb 15, 2015
The build beam is starting to get old, and in some scenarios not useful. Therefore, it needs some added features like adjustable hover height and ability to work while your tech is on top of another.
What do you think?

Reactions: cupid_the_conqueror

cupid_the_conqueror

Sep 20, 2014
Being able to use it whilst on top of another tech could be problematic, as the beam creates a downforce that pushes away all blocks underneath it... Altough, it would be useful to increase the height of the beam, so it is easier to work on the bottom side of your 'Tech.

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
Could you give us some scenarios where you think these changes would help? :)

Happy to pass on your ideas to the guys! It's just more of a case of "because then I can do THIS" - which will help us determine if this is something we want to look into or not. :D

cupid_the_conqueror

Sep 20, 2014
Could you give us some scenarios where you think these changes would help? :)

Happy to pass on your ideas to the guys! It's just more of a case of "because then I can do THIS" - which will help us determine if this is something we want to look into or not. :D

well For the situation I am thinking of, the beam height wouldn't be the only solution...

SITUATION!:

I got this big bad bot I'm making in the R'N'D test chamber! Its made of geocorp double blocks, for its movement I've put down some pontoon like extrusion on the the bottom and I've placed a series of wheels on the inside of that pontoon and if I were to do a cut away of it it would be shaped like this --> |_|

looking at it from the bottom it would look like this (B for block, W for wheel)
BBBBBBBBB
BWWBWWB
BWWBWWB
BWWBWWB
BWWBWWB
BBBBBBBBB

Now I build atop this frame, I gaint tank! it is tall and far exceeds the frame in size (F for frame, B for blocks)

.....................................................B
...................................BBBBBBBBBB
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
........................BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
.............BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
.............FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
.............FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Now when this gets damaged, the 1st thing to get hit is the frame! which means I have to make repairs to the wheels that I have hidden within the protective blocks. When I activate build mode, my tank is now soo big that the camera angle doesn't let me properly see under there as it doesn't let my view pass through the ground.

so 2 things need to happen in this situation, A) my camera needs to be able to pass through the ground so I can see the bottom of my tank, or B) I need to be able to lift the tank higher up

My Temporary soultion to this is to lift the tank higher up by hand, as the beam height is determined by the lowest block on the 'Tech, so this is how I would repair it with the current build

....................................................B
....................................BBBBBBBBBB
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
....................... BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
............BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
............FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
............FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
............B
............B
............B
...........B

By adding these blocks, I increase the height of the beam by hand, which allows me to see the underside of my tank, which allows me to make repairs to my wheels / pontoons / tracks.

so, yea, the ability to change beam hieght is not a really really crucial feature , but it would be a nice one.

Knyghtefall

Jan 5, 2015
For me, being able to rotate the Tech would be perfect. I often have to find a way to flip my Tech over to fix something I did on the bottom during my hodge-podge building process.

Also, a free zoom would be *extremely* helpful. Sometimes, the camera just stops, even though I can see the spot deeper in a crevice. It's like there's a certain width it won't go through. When that happens, I essentially have to tear apart my Tech to reveal that section and then build it back out.

zanzistar

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Aug 13, 2014
London
Hey Guys,

You're right. We had issues with not being able to reach the underside of techs in beam mode before and we adjusted the holding height up a tad to help solve most issues, but I agree with you that it will be useful to raise some of them up higher in some circumstances.

I'd prefer not to have the camera clip through the ground to achieve this as that tends to break the agreed upon reality of the game. But we could perhaps make a change which would involve the camera gaining some level of ability to raise a beam held tech up when you swoop under a tech to allow for repairs to be made underneath.

I'll speak to the guys and see if we can get it added at some stage, It might not be soon, but Ill see what we can do.

Cheers,
Kris