Buffing better future weapons

Amtheminer

Theres a problem where some of the weaker and a few more bigger ones have high damage but poor bullet speed, its even worse since most weapons in terra tech dont lead their shots. so i think buff the bullet speed of bf weapons but nerf the damage for balancing reasons. The only ones that dont need changing are the constant laser beam weapons like the laser disks and the socket laser. (Theres too many weapons to remember all their names). The large gattling laser weapon is fine on its own. You can see what i mean just by watching the matches on the home menu and see the smaller ones struggle to land decent hits. This is just a thought and im not expecting this to happen anytime soon

BF weapons are mostly absolute trash because of projectile speed. class d laser ray is uselesser than anything
I like BF weapons actually. Their great dependence of efficiency on the building skills and user actions (it is expected from civilian technologies converted to weaponry) combined with power in terms of raw damage makes them very unique. So I think that any changes they need shouldn't reduce their major difference much. The Class D laser have to be buffed a lot though.

Wassaup

The Class-D should fire a projectile, like the RR Sonic Blaster. By that I mean it should have the same range, accuracy, splash damage and most importantly, the velocity. The projectile itself should look like a big bright laser-bolt. The damage and fire-rate could stay as it is.

All of the laser weapons in the game should fire faster moving bolts imo. I get, that making them hit-scan would be OP, but when a vehicle can out-run a laser-bolt that itself fired, it's a bit silly.

kae

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hey all, thanks for the feedback here on the BF weapons, I'll take a look some of the stats on them compared to the rest of the weapons and move some of the numbers around to make them feel a bit more worth their money/space on your tech.

Asides from the Class-D laser is there any of the other BF weapons that people think stand out as being under powered?

Wassaup

Hey all, thanks for the feedback here on the BF weapons, I'll take a look some of the stats on them compared to the rest of the weapons and move some of the numbers around to make them feel a bit more worth their money/space on your tech.

Asides from the Class-D laser is there any of the other BF weapons that people think stand out as being under powered?
For BF, the gattling laser feels a bit weak for it's size and price. It's also inaccurate (compared to other lasers) and has wind-up time. Just give it some more raw damage and it should be fine.

But for me, one astonishingly weak laser is the HE Zeus. That thing has excellent coverage and decent tracking, but the damage is a joke. Just barely more, than the GSO Stud! That needs to be buffed significantly. You can even raise it's price a bit, if you want.

But, as the OP stated, the no. 1 problem with all lasers, not just BF, is the projectile speed.

Last edited:

Helios

I always thought the Class D Laser, with its ridiculously slow projectile and extremely high damage, would be more fitting if it is a Plasma Cannon. Its muzzle looks a bit like a cannon too. Just needs some splash damage, a blue-colored explosion and a new SFX, shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

We've been calling for the Class-D to be fixed since its release. :mad: I'm honestly a bit salty our repeated feedback has been ignored for so long, especially because this weapon in particular is functioning so poorly. We've asked for it to be rebalanced here, here, here, and most importantly here, as well as in countless references by many of new and long-standing members alike. I honestly didn't think it was finished when it was released... but it's never changed.

It has three issues as I see it. 1) It's an energy weapon (more on that in a moment), 2.) it has a slow wind-up animation, and 3.) it has way too slow of projectile speed. These things coupled with it's slow reload time make it extraordinarily difficult to get the projectile on target. Much more difficult than any other weapon in it's class. Seriously devs, go play with it. Give one person literally any other fixed cannon and one person a Class-D and see who wins. If you want to fix it, speed up the wind-up animation by 10x, and increase the projectile speed by 10x.

As to energy weapons, with no splash damage and being weak against shields, they will always feel underpowered. Defense in TerraTech is dominated by shields (disregarding the pilot's skill at maneuvering). So to have all energy weapons with a 50% penalty to shields is nearly the same as just having a 50% penalty period. If defense were possible without shields (by, say, by improving the armor system and dealing with fact that splash damage is perennially over powered), then the penalty would make sense.

Helios

Shotguns. Not just the BF one. ALL OF THEM.

Shotguns are supposed to have short range, low rate of fire but high damage per shot, yet currently their damage just plain sucks. Combined with short range, these weapons are loathed even by melee/close range builds.

Take a closer look at them:
Grade 1 GSO ZK-47 Light Machine Gun: 256 DPS, 64 damage per shot.
Keep in mind this is the starting weapon, the very first weapon you get.

Grade 4 GSO Combat Shotgun: 144 DPS, 72 damage per shot.
And it unlocks late into the game at Grade 4! Seriously? Even if it's Grade 1 I won't use it, ever.

Grade 2 Venture Contact Shotgun: 80 DPS, 40 damage per shot.
Venture is unlocked at GSO Grade 3, so these Venture Grade 2 weapons should be considered at least GSO Grade 3 weapons.

Grade 2 Venture 360 Shotgun: 100 DPS, 50 damage per shot.
Not any better.

Grade 1 Hawkeye Bayonet Shotgun: 196 DPS, 98 damage per shot.
Think it's on par with other Grade 1 weapons? The Hawkeye Machinegun Deal 550 DPS (50 damage per shot) with a much longer range.
Remember Hawkeye is unlocked at GSO Grade 4, so it's really just a slightly better version of GSO Combat Shotgun.

Grade 2 Hawkeye Axis Shotgun: 148 DPS, 74 damage per shot.
Higher grade, larger size, but the damage is even worse. Sure, it rotates, but for what? I'll take that starter ZK-47 any time of the day.

Grade 1 Better Future Scatter Laser: 170 DPS, 85 damage per shot.
BF is also unlocked at GSO Grade 4, so same problem as the Hawkeye and GSO one.

Last edited:

eddie

Philosopher in green, Hermit in space
I think All beam weapons are underwhelming, especially the RR Giga Plasma, the beam looks wide, but the hit area is still one point.
I think is better to have some varieties to make them more interesting and useful
here's my suggestion:
  1. Add piercing effect to beams that damage internal blocks.
  2. Give large beam larger diameter of damage(RR's Giga plasma beam looks big, but only damages one point)
  3. Add AOE damage at the point were the beam lands
  4. Give some beam weapon better tracking, more range, targets missile, but less damage to blocks
  5. Chain beams between enemies.
  6. beam that target and charge ally's battery, better range and charge rate then charger, but less energy efficiency(drain more than you charge), and will only activate when firing.
  7. multi targeting beams, that will divide its beams between targets in range, focus if there's only one target

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Shotguns. Not just the BF one. ALL OF THEM.
Hold up. I don't disagree with you, but take a look at how shotguns work first.

The design intent for shotguns is that they can apply their damage on many blocks over a large area. TerraTech shotguns don't have individual pellets. That's just a visual effect. They have a spherical AoE a little ways in front of the weapon. If you hit an unshielded tech, the total damage per shot of shutguns can actually be several thousand, but where each individual block receives the weapon's rated damage. The GSO combat shotgun can hit a maximum of about 50 blocks at once with a good hit, meaning it's actual damage per shot is up to 50 x 72, or 3600. Shotguns also penetrate. With other weapons where you have to drill down through layers, shotguns apply their damage across the whole area of effect with every shot, making them able to hit the inside of techs.

It's not the dps of shotguns which is the issue. It's how it's applied. First, shotguns only apply damage once to shields, meaning they're basically worthless until shields go down. Second, because there are so many powerful mid-range weapons in TerraTech, you'll almost always be outgunned trying to close range. Third, often you're trying to destroy one specific block to disable/destroy a tech. I.e. batteries or the cab, so small damage to many blocks will never keep up with lots of damage to one block.

I think the use of shotguns once again boils down to how overpowered explosive damage is right now. If you could trust your shields against on-coming cannon fire, you could get in close and start using them. i think they also need a 5-10x buff just against shields so they're not worthless against shielded techs.

garr890354839

Piercing shotguns. Now that's new. I would expect piercing from something like railguns or the RR Giga Plasma eddie mentioned above, but never from a shotgun. That explains a lot actually, so thanks for clearing that up!
Also would make shotguns actually useful.

Saelem Black

Also would make shotguns actually useful.
In case it wasn't clear, that wasn't a suggestion. Shotguns actually do this right now. Try it for yourself - use a shotgun against a stationary tech and see how many of the blocks flash red.

Last edited: