Buff Big Bertha

Buff big bertha?

• Total voters

OtatoJoe

Dec 28, 2016
I wrote this with multiplayer in mind. It should be more expensive to make, heavier, but also, much stronger. Its barrel width is around twice the size of a HE battleship cannon's, which means the shell would be 8x as heavy (8x the volume) according to the cubic rule (2^3) if both shells were proportional in shape and weight. Realistically Big Bertha should be much stronger than the battleship cannon. However, they deal around the same damage despite their size difference, and since you can pack many battleship cannons into the space that a Big Bertha can occupy, you can have a much higher damage per salvo with the battleship cannon than a Big Bertha.

I know GSO shouldn't be your go-to faction for strong weaponry, but big guns are big guns regardless of who makes them. I can't say for all players, but I've met a lot of players in MP and some in this forum which share the same opinion- that big bertha is too weak.

Characteristics of a large caliber shell are high damage, high blast radius, and a slow reload. More of these needs to be emphasized in Big Bertha:
-3-5x the damage per shot of a battleship cannon.
-blast radius increased to 15.
-increase the reload time by A LOT.

I'd say these buffs are fair because of how much space it occupies, and that it cannot stack like the battleship cannons do.

Last edited:

Warning220

Defence enthusiast, Battle ship expert
Dec 9, 2018
I wrote this with multiplayer in mind. It should be more expensive to make, heavier, but also, much stronger. Its barrel width is around twice the size of a HE battleship cannon's, which means the shell would be 8x as heavy (8x the volume) according to the cubic rule (2^3) if both shells were proportional in shape and weight. Realistically Big Bertha should be much stronger than the battleship cannon. However, they deal around the same damage despite their size difference, and since you can pack many battleship cannons into the space that a Big Bertha can occupy, you can have a much higher damage per salvo with the battleship cannon than a Big Bertha.

I know GSO shouldn't be your go-to faction for strong weaponry, but big guns are big guns regardless of who makes them. I can't say for all players, but I've met a lot of players in MP and some in this forum which share the same opinion- that big bertha is too weak.

Characteristics of a large caliber shell are high damage, high blast radius, and a slow reload. More of these needs to be emphasized in Big Bertha:
-3-5x the damage per shot of a battleship cannon.
-blast radius increased to 15.
-increase the reload time.

I'd say these buffs are fair because of how much space it occupies, and that it cannot stack like the battleship cannons do.
its a lost cause sorry but it is now there is a new thing that will end up like the big bertha the type 45 sad and bad

Reactions: Luracasmus

General Douglas

Aerial Admiral
Feb 4, 2019
America
While it is an interesting idea I personally think Bertha is more of a novelty weapon to show GSO's impractical attempt at fielding a weapon to compete with something like Hawkeye's Battleship Cannon. The choice is obvious but when you look at in universe explanations and corporation strengths it makes sense.

Bertha wasn't really designed with PvP in mind, the description even mentions that while its not meant to be used offworld, "you can mount it on anything that's big enough to carry it".

the.nihilist

Semiprofessional Idler
Jul 1, 2018
Germany
While it is an interesting idea I personally think Bertha is more of a novelty weapon to show GSO's impractical attempt at fielding a weapon to compete with something like Hawkeye's Battleship Cannon. The choice is obvious but when you look at in universe explanations and corporation strengths it makes sense.
I always imagine GSO as being about 50 years behind in development.
Especially the Big Bertha being a relict of another time. The original Big Bertha being known as a series of cannons from WW1, the design makes a clear reference to the best-known original too.
Idk how the big bertha would compare to today‘s Battleship Cannons in velocity, power and other stuff (maybe someone has the numbers at hand?) but i guess a modern cannon easily beats it in efficiency and damage.

Anna Areleen

Feb 26, 2020
While comparing different corporations stuff, there always are arguments in favor of one of the corps. But what about the same corp? Compared to the Gigaton Cannon, the Big Bertha is almost completely useless. For me, while something is realistic in its own world, uselessness is not a problem at all. And, as I can see, here are problems. As big as this cannon is. While actual volume of the gun is at least 8 times larger, it has just slightly, even less than 1,5 times, more "health". Also, it weihgs 52, very little compared to 14 of the Gigaton. Looks like the calibre of the Big Bertha isn't that large in comparison as the gun itself, but the shells are definitely wider and much longer. Neverthless, again, the cannon deals only slightly more damage by each hit (6500 vs 5350). With that barrel length the projectiles must fly faster, it's the only way for them to fly further (because of lack of air resistance for the shells in the TerraTech physics), actually, the Big Bertha's and the Gigaton's ranges are almost similar. Or, in case of compensation for the propellant charge, reloading must take less time than one can expect. But actual fire rate is too low for this case.

About combat effectiveness. The Big Bertha's front armour will catch most of the projectiles being fired to, without actual ability of the cannon to withstand heavy damage. So, under a rain of projectiles this cannon most probably will fly away much earlier than any other heavy ballistic veaponry. This comes with inability to inflict comparatively serious damage before, in some cases also because the gun's traverse is very limited. But even if it is not a problem, a couple of the Gigatons or even the Megatons will easily outperform the Big Bertha in almost everything.

Somebody can say that the Big Bertha is almost unarmoured thus light and vulnerable. But if that much of its volume is of the mechanisms, the cannon have to deal incredible amount of damage per minute. As anybody can say, it doesn't.

If this cannon is just obsolete, thus the propellant and high explosives used are weak, the mechanism is ineffective, the materials cannot resist as much damage as more modern examples and so on, it isn't described. If this is true, question is, why is the Big Bertha craftable after all, and why not some modern version of this weapon?

Last edited:

Wassaup

Apr 28, 2019
It's the price, that always gets me: The Big Bertha is the most expensive block in the game (that isn't just compressed resources). If it only cost, like 25k BBs tops to buy, it could at least be a cheap alternative to the HE mk3 Cannon. As it is, there's literally no reason to ever use it.